AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see how loud everyone listens to their movies. I have my receiver calibarted to -10 under ref at the '00' mark, and I usually listen at around the '-25' mark.

That puts me at -35dB under reference level.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
That seems extremely soft. If the majority of the movie is at 70-80dB (which has nothing to do with the level of test tones) then you are listening at whisper levels (40dB). How did you calibrate your system?

I typically listen at 3dB under reference levels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I calibrated using AVIA and also the internal receiver test tones. I left it at the internal test tone calibarion. Using the test tones I calibrate to 75db at the 00 mark on the receiver.

It's pretty loud at the '-25' mark which corresponds to -35db under ref. It is definitely not whisper level.

Assuming that you've calibrated to ref level at the 00 mark, does that mean you listen at the '-3db' mark on the receiver? WOW, that would really hurt my ears on my receiver. Maybe I calibrated wrong?

OKAY I think I just figure it out the confusion - I need to rephrase the question:

1. What is the volume mark on your receiver? (i.e., '00', '-20', etc...)

2. Did you calibrate to 85 db or 75 db?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I calibrated, using the internal test tones of my Proceed AVP, to 75dB at the 00 mark (THX-ref.). I routinely listen to the movies at volume levels in the range of THX-ref.+2dB to THX-ref.+6dB (with Dolby Digital software, that is). In my recent review on the Aerial package I purchased last year, which I posted in IV parts at the Audio Video Improvements forum, more details and specific examples are given.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested on having the whole Aerial review in one single WORD file, just e-mail me at: [email protected] .

J.V. .

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I have not calibrated my receiver yet (still need to) for a refernce level, but my Denon 3802 is at around -03 for DTS movies and 00 for Dolby Digital movies. That said, I like my movies crankin!

If it is a tame movie, I.E. "Chick Flick" (please pardon my language, it is just a common term) I normally have it around -15 or so.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Perhaps I am out to lunch but...

the volume indicators are not acutal db measuments correct?

Therefore, if 00 is 75db, then -10 is not 65db.

I may be wrong, but if possible, listen to your test tones at the level you listen to movies, and measure the db level.

I personally listen to music at -20 to 00 (if the wife isn't around) and movies at -20 to -10

JR:)

·
Registered
383 Posts
No, the volume numbers are not db measurements. Setting to "reference" is less crucial than having all channels calibrated properly and putting out the same SPLs at any given volume, while using test tones.

But, when a system is calibrated to "reference", it's nice to have that commonality with other HT enthusiats. That way we all know what it means when someone says they "bottomed a sub at -5 while watching U571." Or when someone says "I listen to music at -10"....Others will have a sense of what that means.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to a thread which gets pretty involved, but is worthwhile reading.

Here's another.

--Steve

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
OK, call me crazy, but I watch movies at reference level, which puts me in the minority already. When a sci-fi lovin' chick came over, I pumped it up to +7db, which had the effect of a whole lotta shakin goin' on. I think I clip at +8, so that was about as high as I could go and still stay clean.

I watch TV at -10 (good movies) to -20db (news, surfing) and listen to music at -20db.

I don't know how load reference is set at, but at +3db on music, it is friggin' loud. Anybody know what level Parasound sets their reference meter at?

·
Registered
360 Posts
SVonoff,

DAMM!!!!...I guess I would be leaving your house with an ear ache or you like ZERO conversation during movie!!!...lol!! I have a Denon AVR 3200 and I like mine loud but for D/D movies I set mine to -10 and music to -20.

My Denon is 80WPC..how many watts is the 3802? My Cambridge Soundworks speakers are 89db so the Denon pushes them w/o issues.

Mike

·
Registered
395 Posts
I calibrated my Denon 3802 at 75 db and I listen at -10 to -5 depending on the flick !!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I calibrated my TAG AV32R so that "00" is 75 db. I always set the movie volume, with the wife and kids in the room, at -5db on the TAG. That works for about 80 percent of the movies we watch. Sometimes I have to turn it down to -7.5 db or -10 db for particular movie (e.g., The Fast and the Furious). It surprises me that some listen at -20 db or lower. It would seem like you're missing all the fun.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
A system properly calibrated with 85dB tones will be as loud as a system calibrated with 75dB tones.

1. You set the receiver or pre/pro to reference level (00, etc.)

2. The encoded tracks on the DVD can contain information from 0->105dB (sub up to 115dB).

3. Disc A happens to use 75dB tones which are loud enough for calibration. After adjusting each speaker level (so they measure 75dB) your system will play from 0->105dB (assuming the volume knob is still on 00).

4. The numbers on the volume knob don't always track with decibels +/- reference.

At reference, the loudest any information above 80Hz can be played is 105dB (this is during peaks). Here is a link with typical SPLs for various sounds. Here's OSHA's recommendations . Keep in mind that soundtracks do not go above 90dB except for very short peaks (explosion, etc.).

·
Registered
836 Posts
Don't forget one thing...when you calibrate to 75dbs, the disc you are suing to calabrate is actually recorded 30dbs lower, so when you've calibrated 00 at 75dbs, it is actually 105dbs...just thought i would confuse things more.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
The maximum peak level is 105dB... not the average sound level of the movie.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You cranked the volume up another 7 dB for a girlfriend visiting? Don't forget the 6 dB sex difference for preferred volume level. Females will tend to place the volume about 6 dB below males. That means you were probably mega-blasting her poor ears.

In our home system, the usual movie watching volume is 23 to 20 dB below reference.

·
Registered
27,634 Posts
Processor calibrated to 75 db tones (THX reference for my processor) at 3 db below reference level

In short, reference level minus 3 db (Unless T2 - then reference plus 3 db)!

Jeff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.