AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm in the market for a new TV. Don't really NEED one, but I want one. Well, actually, given that it's an old 25" Panasonic CRT that doesn't work with any remote anymore, some of you might say I NEED it, but it's limping along for now.

Anyway, I'm planning on buying....sometime this year. Maybe around the Superbowl sales, maybe immediately after to leverage the whole "You really want to move this inventory, don't you?" angle, or maybe not until the 10G Kuros are announced. I dunno yet.

I've been eying the Kuro Elites (which are currently well out of my price range), and the regular Kuros, but I'm still open to seeing a PROPERLY calibrated LCD and whether it can steal me away. Likewise with a well calibrated Panasonic plasma.

Regardless, the model I'm looking at isn't the issue. I have a fixed number in mind over which I'm not willing to go (and don't worry, I'm not posting it per forum rules).

My question to the consumers out there is: how low did you manage to bargain the salesperson down when you bought, or did you just pay sticker price? I'm talking % off sticker price (be it a sale price or regular price), not actual dollar amounts. Did you get 'em down 15%? 20%? 30%!? Or did they tell you to hit the bricks and come back when ya had the scratch to pay for a real TV?

Just looking for a little insight before I go into a store and lowball the salespeople so much that they bring out one of the delivery guys from the back to throw me out the door.

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo4114 /forum/post/15550976

Ok, so I'm in the market for a new TV. Don't really NEED one, but I want one. Well, actually, given that it's an old 25" Panasonic CRT that doesn't work with any remote anymore, some of you might say I NEED it, but it's limping along for now.

Anyway, I'm planning on buying....sometime this year. Maybe around the Superbowl sales, maybe immediately after to leverage the whole "You really want to move this inventory, don't you?" angle, or maybe not until the 10G Kuros are announced. I dunno yet.

I've been eying the Kuro Elites (which are currently well out of my price range), and the regular Kuros, but I'm still open to seeing a PROPERLY calibrated LCD and whether it can steal me away. Likewise with a well calibrated Panasonic plasma.

Regardless, the model I'm looking at isn't the issue. I have a fixed number in mind over which I'm not willing to go (and don't worry, I'm not posting it per forum rules).

My question to the consumers out there is: how low did you manage to bargain the salesperson down when you bought, or did you just pay sticker price? I'm talking % off sticker price (be it a sale price or regular price), not actual dollar amounts. Did you get 'em down 15%? 20%? 30%!? Or did they tell you to hit the bricks and come back when ya had the scratch to pay for a real TV?

Just looking for a little insight before I go into a store and lowball the salespeople so much that they bring out one of the delivery guys from the back to throw me out the door.

You can ALWAYS bargain with a saleguy. I NEVER pay full price for a TV. I just bought a Panny and got 1000.00 off regular price! Do your research. PM me and I help you out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My question back to you: have you looked at trying to buy it online? There are reputable sellers online such as Amazon and AVS sponsors here that sells for well under what you can get normally from brick and mortar shops. Normally I go to shops to see the TV for reference and shop online. It is another avenue you might want to try.

To me, the price online is almost always better than B&M and that is even after bargaining, in most cases. That and you might not need to pay sales tax, which is a deal breaker in some cases for me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo4114 /forum/post/15550976

You can state what your budget is you just cant quote prices from vendors. In fact it is necessary for anyone to recommend you a set to know what your budget is that way they know what sets you should be looking at based on that number.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, well, my current budget is max of $3500. I'm hoping to increase that to around $4000, but that's as high as I'd go.

What I'd really like to do is get a 151FD for somewhere in that range.

I'd also like a pony for christmas, and world peace.

I've thought about buying online but am reluctant for two reasons:

1.) I want to be able to return it if I don't like it.

2.) I can't bargain with an online retailer even if they're already low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts