AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking into getting the Fluance AVBP2 or the Polk OWM3 surround speakers for $100. The Fluance's are bipolar which would seem to work well for my room as I think monopole like the Polks might be too noticeable since the speakers will be fairly close to the seating area. The Fluance's only dip down to 130 hz. I've read on some threads that this concerns people with this speaker. Should I at all be worried being that this speaker won't have much bass output? Would the Polks be a better idea being they go down to 80hz? Any thoughts from people would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
This really depends on how you have your receiver surround speaker configured. If they are set as "SMALL" then the receiver is crossing over their low frequency content to the subwoofer channel. If they are set as "LARGE" then they are running full-range and you will need to consider their frequency response.

In my case I run both the left and right Surround and left and right Back channels each through a 10" subwoofer (Polk PWS202) that has speaker-level inputs and outputs. This lets me run the Surround and Back channels as "Large" full-range channels.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. I guess I was under the impression that if you have a sub, which I do, that you always set the speakers to small so the sub can handle the low frequency. The LFE is at 120hz and I go into my denon settings and set the crossovers all to 80hz. Would this mean having surrounds down to 80hz would be better than having surrounds that only go to 130hz. And, should I also take the bipolar vs monopole affect into account regardless of the frequency response?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
If you get surrounds that have -3 dB point at 130 Hz, then you are going to have to set the crossover frequency to the sub pretty high (150 Hz maybe). Hopefully your receiver allows this, and allows different frequencies for various speakers.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn  /t/1518374/how-low-in-frequency-response-should-my-surrounds-be-capable-of#post_24370711

If you get surrounds that have -3 dB point at 130 Hz, then you are going to have to set the crossover frequency to the sub pretty high (150 Hz maybe). Hopefully your receiver allows this, and allows different frequencies for various speakers.

I have the Denon 1613. I'm pretty sure it allows for different speakers of frequencies, but I could be wrong. Would setting the sub to 150hz be a bad thing?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Been experimenting with different crossovers. Since I prefer to run my sub(s) a little hot, then crossing anything higher than 100 sounded a bit metallic, or unpleasant.

This been said, I think surrounds should go down to 80hz (ideally to 60hz). This allows 80-100 hz crossover point.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1518374/how-low-in-frequency-response-should-my-surrounds-be-capable-of#post_24370772

I have the Denon 1613. I'm pretty sure it allows for different speakers of frequencies, but I could be wrong. Would setting the sub to 150hz be a bad thing?

Probably high enough to make the sub locatable. Try it. If too high frequencies come from the sub and make it locatable, you might want to live with the frequency response hole and dial it down until the effect goes away (nominally 80 to 100 Hz).

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn  /t/1518374/how-low-in-frequency-response-should-my-surrounds-be-capable-of#post_24373597

Probably high enough to make the sub locatable. Try it. If too high frequencies come from the sub and make it locatable, you might want to live with the frequency response hole and dial it down until the effect goes away (nominally 80 to 100 Hz).

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'm going to spend the extra $80 to get the Fluance XLBP bipolars rather than the AVBP2. The XLBP go down to 50hz and is just an overall better surround with bigger drivers as well. I think these should work great.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1518374/how-low-in-frequency-response-should-my-surrounds-be-capable-of#post_24374009

I think I'm going to spend the extra $80 to get the Fluance XLBP bipolars rather than the AVBP2. The XLBP go down to 50hz and is just an overall better surround with bigger drivers as well. I think these should work great.

That may be a nice option for you - however it may be too optimistic about 50 hz > however you do

have a chance for a crossover around 80 hz

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think a crossover at 80hz will work great with these.

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
I run my surrounds at 120, the center at 100 and the LR at 80. It all works and sounds great. On the few movies/scenes that have had bass coming from the surrounds, the AVR did a great job of directing the bass from the sub. Sounded like the bass was coming directly from the surround which is only about 3ft from me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts