AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it always best to mount as low as possible? I was looking into screens and their half gain angles are typically around 30 degrees. I assume this is both horizontal and vertical? I was going to put the projector around the height of the screen, but now I'm wondering I'd I should mount even lower? I didn't want the projector to be low enough for people to bump their heads on it, but I also want the best image though...

Thanks for any help / advice!

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20818858

Is it always best to mount as low as possible? I was looking into screens and their half gain angles are typically around 30 degrees. I assume this is both horizontal and vertical? I was going to put the projector around the height of the screen, but now I'm wondering I'd I should mount even lower? I didn't want the projector to be low enough for people to bump their heads on it, but I also want the best image though...

Thanks for any help / advice!

What projector and what screen?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sony HW30. I'm going to get a 110" diagonal 16:19 screen. Probably 1.3 gain. But I haven't decided because I know nothing about screens. Any suggestions? Fixed mount. Light controlled room.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
The HW30 has +/- 65% vertical lens shift. I believe the lens center position is the center of the screen. So with a 110" screen the projector lens can be mounted anywhere from 35.1" above or below center of the screen. In theory the image would be best if no lens shift is used, but it usually is not practical to mount the projector center of screen height. Also I doubt that you (or anybody else) could tell the difference in image quality between a projector centered and a projector using some vertical lens shift. For your screen the lens can be a max of 8.1" above the image. I would mount the projector high enough that people can't hit their head, but less than max lens shift.

As for screen, what is your budget?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20819060

The HW30 has +/- 65% vertical lens shift. I believe the lens center position is the center of the screen. So with a 110" screen the projector lens can be mounted anywhere from 35.1" above or below center of the screen. In theory the image would be best if no lens shift is used, but it usually is not practical to mount the projector center of screen height. Also I doubt that you (or anybody else) could tell the difference in image quality between a projector centered and a projector using some vertical lens shift. For your screen the lens can be a max of 8.1" above the image. I would mount the projector high enough that people can't hit their head, but less than max lens shift.

As for screen, what is your budget?

Another factor is "noise". If it is close to your ears, and if it is not far away from your LP, then you likely will hear the noise. Mounting it higher would alleviate some of the noise issue.

Usually, when you have a HP screen that is retroflective, then you need to mount it to the center. Otherwise, most people mount it as high as they can.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll probably stick to mounting it 8 feet in the air then so it (so top of the screen). I read in various places not to put the screen closer than 1 foot to the ceiling, is that also correct?

My budget? I don't really have a specific budget. I was assuming I'd have to pay around 2000ish. I'll pay more if it is really worth more, if I don't need to spend 2000, that's great too. But my estimate of 2000 was just looking at how much various screens cost, not knowing their pros and cons.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20819227

I'll probably stick to mounting it 8 feet in the air then so it (so top of the screen). I read in various places not to put the screen closer than 1 foot to the ceiling, is that also correct?

My budget? I don't really have a specific budget. I was assuming I'd have to pay around 2000ish. I'll pay more if it is really worth more, if I don't need to spend 2000, that's great too. But my estimate of 2000 was just looking at how much various screens cost, not knowing their pros and cons.

Thanks for your help!

Generally, ceiling is white, so too close will get reflection and hurt your contrast. However, if your ceiling is painted black, i don't see a problem.

Screen price vary a lot, depending on Gains, DIY, electric, AT or not. Fixed frame usually is cheaper though. Another thing to consider is if you want 16:9 or 2.35:1, or something in between.. Screen is really something that you DO NOT change that frequent, so put MORE attention to it than you think. Also, masking option can be expensive and you should consider that as well.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu /forum/post/20819174

Another factor is "noise". If it is close to your ears, and if it is not far away from your LP, then you likely will hear the noise. Mounting it higher would alleviate some of the noise issue.

Usually, when you have a HP screen that is retroflective, then you need to mount it to the center. Otherwise, most people mount it as high as they can.

He can only go 8.1" above the screen and he was already talking about mounting at the top of the screen. I doubt that the additional 8" max, makes any difference with the noise level, but it could make a difference in set up. You never want to use all of the lens shift in any one direction. Also the fan noise is rated at 22db. Noise should not be a problem.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20819227

Thanks for your help!

If possible, I would go with a fixed frame screen. The next decision has to do with what you watch and the size of your room. If you watch a lot of movies then I would consider a 2.35 screen as long as it works in your room with regards to speaker placement. If you watch a lot of 1.78 (16:9) content (HDTV) then I would go with a 1.78 screen.

If you go with a 2.35 screen, that means you will be using the motorized zoom so that you can change the size of the image. In other words 16:9 content will be shown on the center of the 2.35 screen with gray bars on each side. 2.35 content would then be zoomed so that the image fills the whole screen by dropping the gray bars off the top and bottom of the screen. This means that you will have to use the zoom anytime that you change between the aspect ratios.

The other option is to get a screen and add a masking system to it later. For this you need to plan carefully. I use a horizontally masking system and I really like seeing nothing but image when I am watching movies.

If interested in movies and wanting to do the zoom method, take a look at the Dalite Cinema Contour screen with Cinema Vision fabric. For a masking system, some use panels and or curtains. There are some companies that make specific masking systems, but these are expensive.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 16:9 screens work best in my room with how close my walls are together and speaker placement. I might consider a masking system later in the future. Also, my projector doesn't have motorized zoom.

Any recommendation for fixed, 16:9 110" diagonal screen? I'm guessing around 1.3 gain?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.