AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how low will your subwoofer go?

I see Rythmik says 14 Hz (+/- 2db) . Many others say 16 or 18 Hz. But the specs vary, HSU says +/- 1db online, their manual says +/- 2db. Others say +/- 2db, some say +/- 3db. Epik lists the Legend as 20-200 Hz +/- 3.5 db, with "usable" room extension of 16-18 Hz, whatever "usable" means, perhaps it means it's out of the +/- 3.5 db, but you can still hear it, a little bit.

Anyway can someone make some sense of this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still curious to see your comments on the manufacturers frequency response specs and db +/- .

How does one compare sub #1, 14 Hz (+/- 2db) with sub #2, 16 Hz (+/- 1 db)?

(sounds like the 14 Hz sub goes lower, but if both were rated at (+/- 1db) then they might be closer?)

Or take sub #3 that claims 18 Hz (+/- 2db) and sub #4 that says 18 Hz (+/- 1db). If both were rated at (+/- 1db), then sub #3 would likely come out with a higher number, like 19 Hz or 20 Hz, correct?

Thanks for your frequency response and db +/- thoughts.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
I would relax as all those frequencies and specs will be too close to tell a difference in extension while listening to them. Usable extension means in a room the sub will usually pick up 2-3 hz of extension(especially in a corner).

List the subs in question and what kind of room they will be used in.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Room is about 15 x 20 with 8.5 foot ceilings. Mostly open to kitchen on right. Left wall is fireplace with raised hearth the full 15 feet of wall, brick half way up full length of wall. Rear wall is mostly window, covered by drapes. Likely placement is left rear corner on raised hearth, with brick on one wall, drywall on other, with 8 inch deep DVD shelf on right of sub.

Listening habits are mostly movies, with some music, perhaps 80/20. Listening is a relatively low levels, I just played opening scenes from Master & Commander and Saving Private Ryan. Wife said it was too loud, and sound meter peaked at 85 db, sound was mostly in 70s. (It was on the loud side for me too.)

Subs are I've looked at the most, Rythmik, HSU, eD,

Favorites:

1. Rythmik, my favorite for response, size, looks

2. HSU VTF3, Mk III, recommended by HSU, probably because of high output (or Outlaw equivalent)

3. eD A5-350, recommended by eD, probably because of high output

(I like the eD A5s-300 better than A5-350 for size reasons)

But I'm thinking I may have low output requirements, with my low listening levels.

(The listening levels that gave 85 db peaks in movies were too loud.)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mentioned above that I was watching opening scenes in Master & Commander and Saving Private Ryan.

That was with my cheap Sony 12" sub.

And measuring db levels, mostly in 70s, with peak at 85 db, sound was too loud for wife, and was pretty loud for me as well.

One thing I thought I would add, the receiver I was using is a Technics 100 watt receiver, and the volume knob was turned only 1/3 the way up.

New Denon 3310 receiver arriving today with 125 watts.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
+/- this or that for subs is kind of meaningless.

eq can be applied in the amp from the manufacturer or by yourself.

i pretty much ignore this data anymore, as there are too many ways to mislead/game the results.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/19563792

i pretty much ignore this data anymore, as there are too many ways to mislead/game the results.

I think once you get to a certain level of subwoofer (not the $200 variety for sure) intergration becomes more important. Nothing like having a nice subwoofer out of phase that will never sound right until corrected.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19562684

I mentioned above that I was watching opening scenes in Master & Commander and Saving Private Ryan.

That was with my cheap Sony 12" sub.

And measuring db levels, mostly in 70s, with peak at 85 db, sound was too loud for wife, and was pretty loud for me as well.

One thing I thought I would add, the receiver I was using is a Technics 100 watt receiver, and the volume knob was turned only 1/3 the way up.

New Denon 3310 receiver arriving today with 125 watts.

Thanks,

Jeff

125 watts is for 2 channels driven no? If that's the case you're not going to notice much difference in "loudness"

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1
125 watts is for 2 channels driven no? If that's the case you're not going to notice much difference in "loudness"
My older receiver was 100 watts per channel, five channels.

New Denon 3311 is 125 per channel, seven channels.

I'm not sure what you mean, "125 watts is for 2 channels driven, no".

The Denon specs show:

125 watts front channels

125 watts center channels

125 watts surround

125 watts surround back, front, or wide

I've always thought the specs meant all channels driven, so for the 3311, all seven channels driven, not just two.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525

The Denon specs show:

125 watts front channels

125 watts surround

I've always thought the specs meant all channels driven, so for the 3311, all seven channels driven, not just two.
Well, 100 versus 125 will not make a single decibel of difference.

And in the US, the way the FTC rules are applied, generally, a receiver only "must" be able to achieve its rated power with 2 channels driven. Some will come closer than others to hitting their spec with all channels driven.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525

The Denon specs show:

125 watts front channels

125 watts surround

The actual numbers are in the fine print in the back of the manual.

It's a common misconception. Obviously when more channels (more than two) are driven those numbers drop considerably.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts