AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you don't have almost 70K to spend on a Panasonic 103-inch but you'd like something bigger than 65-inches--what is out there right now and what is on the drawing boards?

Are there any 70+inch Plasmas worth waiting for? Do LG and Samsung currently produce 70+inch Plasmas? How do they stack up aginst Pioneers and Panasonics?

Will Pioneer or Panasonic ever make Plasmas of 70+inches that look good?

The reason I ask the question is that to fully appreciate 1080p at distances of 11 feet plus I think you need a 70+inch display.

I know the cost of such Plasmas is high but eventually they'll come down in price. Just wondered if any decent ones will be made this year or should I just wait until 2008 or 2009 or just sit closer and groove on a 65-inch?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
yup, even if you do have the moola there just hasn't been a market for them due to the prices they would be at.......yet.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like 2008 will really be some year--1.3HDMI--maybe even two way cable capability--and you know the next m1080p models will get the kinks out.

If I had to have a TV right now I'd tell people to go ahead and buy but anyone with a quality 1366X768 Plasma that can wait will be rewarded for waiting.

The 2007 1080p Pioneers will probably cost out the wazoo--2008 should be in the realm of what normal people would consider.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
how many "normal" people are really considering a 70+" plasma?

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/0

2008 is your friend

Man, these tidbits of info you've been dropping here and in the Pio black level thread are killing me!
Care to share how you know some of these things you've commented on????

I sit about 13' from what would be a plasma hanging on the wall, and a 70" display would be fabulous. Although at this rate I'll never get a new display as I was wating for the 58" Panny, then the 60" Pio, then for CES to see if any big announcements came out. It's like buying a car or a computer . . . you have to jump in at some time, but it's tough as it seems like things are progressing quite rapidly the last 2-3 years in plasmas in terms of resolution and size.

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,333 Posts

Minardi2 said:
I sit about 13' from what would be a plasma hanging on the wall, and a 70" display would be fabulous.

Hmmm...at 13', a 70" would not give you a big screen experience. If you intend to stay at 13' and want a "large" experience, you would be well served to start considering a FP, with about a 92" screen from that 13' distance.]

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was originally going to opt for the 65" Panasonic 1080P plasma ... wasn't even considering a DLP set. Then I started comparing the 70+" DLPs from Mitsubishi, Samsung, and Sony ... ended up with the 1080p 71" Samsung and couldn't be happier. It cost about a third of what I would have had to pay for the plasma, so I can enjoy it for a couple of years and then look at trading up to the Plasma as more options become available...

Unless you're dead set against the DLP, it's worth considering if you want the larger size.

(EDIT: to mods ... my post in no way is meant as a slam against Plasma TVs ... they are my favorite. Please delete this post if it is inappropriate for this section)

·
Registered
15,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza /forum/post/0

I was originally going to opt for the 65" Panasonic 1080P plasma ... wasn't even considering a DLP set. Then I started comparing the 70+" DLPs from Mitsubishi, Samsung, and Sony ... ended up with the 1080p 71" Samsung and couldn't be happier. It cost about a third of what I would have had to pay for the plasma, so I can enjoy it for a couple of years and then look at trading up to the Plasma as more options become available...

Unless you're dead set against the DLP, it's worth considering if you want the larger size.

(EDIT: to mods ... my post in no way is meant as a slam against Plasma TVs ... they are my favorite. Please delete this post if it is inappropriate for this section)

Although this is the plasma forum, I think you bring up a great option. A big picture makes a big impact, and that can be had for much less than a plasma in Rear Projection.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
As an owner of a 60" Pio 6070 I'm watching my 60" screen shrink week by week, a 70 inch plasma would be very cool, but Im thinkin the soon to be released JVC DiLA 65 inch super slim wall hangable 10" thick 1080p RPTV is looking kinda interesting, and at around a $4,000.00 MSRP (street for less) makes it really interesting and more realistic as far as cost,,,, very tempting !!!!!!!

Now if JVC comes out with a super slim 70 inch version it would be far more than just tempting, that would be a done deal.

Davyo

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmmm...at 13', a 70" would not give you a big screen experience. If you intend to stay at 13' and want a "large" experience, you would be well served to start considering a FP, with about a 92" screen from that 13' distance.][/quote]

I considered an FP, but not for long as the display would be in the family room, and light control would be a concern as there's a six foot patio door there. I could mitigate the light certainly but I don't want to have to watch TV in the dark all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.