AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Surely you are insightful enough to know that you can't believe everything you read in the papers, especially when it concerns internal business decisions that are not required to be reported in detail to the public. Those stories got many of the details wrong, but if you read them closely you will find things that contradict some of the "facts" that you stated earlier in this thread.

Who is your source? I may know him! I can assure you that neither of us are kids. I just felt it necessary to challenge your "facts" as they are incorrect and potentially harmful to the UltimateTV business. Finally, I am not aware of any significant WINK link to UTV. To say it is based on WINK technology is exaggeration to the extreme.

It is likely you know someone who at one time worked in the UltimateTV group, five or more years ago. There were hundreds of employees, with varying degrees of knowledge on the many aspects of a very complex product/business. Your source, or your interpretation of what they told you, is incorrect on many of the points detailed above. I'm going to have to leave it at that.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hmmm, I always thought that the original code or hardware or whatever, came from a replay tv box. I recall lots of people saying how they wished it had some such feature that was in the original replay tv.

On the dates, I definately recall 2 upgrades, and I am pretty sure they were a year apart. I bought my first unit about the time of my registering on this site (ha, I think I have the oldest date of anyone left on this board). I remember an update to 3.5 from my original which just added a few things, like manual record and a keep function. Then it was about a year after that one which is the 3.7 we have now.

I really can't recall any sat updates after 3.7. Not even some sort of fix, but my memory might be bad on this. I do know that it was an exciting time when 3.7 came out. I remember hoping there'd be another one a year later (it was around april if I recall correctly).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, for the record, I still own a UTV and have done so since the beginning. No problems.

As for the above discussion, it's absolutely fascinating information. I wouldn't have any reason to doubt the estimates and insights. This is because I recall hearing much of this at that time and is also consistent with some of the links below.

I'm certainly no expert in this matter and don't claim to have any insight. I do recall speaking with John Nicol, (head of MSN, which oversaw UTV) in December, 2003, for service.
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...5-06msntv.mspx

He referred me to a Manager at the Mountain View location to assist me with service. In fact, I still have the E-mails saved, with his name and information (for what it's worth?).

I also remember when the founder of WebTV, Steve Perlman left:
http://www.net4tv.com/voice/story.cfm?StoryID=920

Other informative links:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable
http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/127031
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+takes+..._3-244454.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ultimate TV was/is the best thing since sliced bread. When I went to satellite TV, I couldn't believe there was no PIP. PIP, "pausing live TV", and the ease/convenience of recording programming made UTV a must buy for me.

I did give it up for HDTiVO, but I still prefer the UTV. The only thing I like about the TiVo DVR is the remote is smaller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my Sony UTV in January of 2002. I was going to buy the Sony Tivo box for $50 less, but they were sold out and the sales rep gave me the same price for the UTV, $399 with $100 Sony rebate and $100 D* rebate. Best money I ever spent. How lucky was I that the Tivos were out of stock?

Still using that box, and I bought another off of ebay two years ago. Have not had anything go wrong with either unit, other than the pictograms on remote control skip buttons have worn off. Haven't made any upgrades, and I record ~50 shows per week. As long as D* isn't dicking with the datastream, it works flawlessly.

How can something that was developed so many years ago still have the best features and best user interface? If only someone could hack a HD tuner into this thing...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still using 2 units - one with 2 tuners still going strong after an early repair, and the other with only one tuner still working.

I also have a DTV Tivo box and the more I use it, the more I love the UTVs.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanty /forum/post/0

How can something that was developed so many years ago still have the best features and best user interface? If only someone could hack a HD tuner into this thing...

I agree. The UTV is what, 6 years old now? And it still works great. The HR20 is 6-8 months old and its still having a lot of problems. Maybe its time for D* to realize that they can't build a DVR. If they don't want to go back to Tivo, maybe they should call Bill Gates up.

Remember, if it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or try to build your own.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
As others have said... The more I've used DTivo the more I like my UTVs.

Just yesterday I paused a program and came back almost 2.25 hours later and it was all still in the buffer. My DTivo only allows up to 30 minutes (and usually "resets" at the start of new programs) so I was very happy to see that.

The UTV had gone to ScreenSaver and I'm curious if I'd have left it sit and "waited" for the UTV to run out of buffer how much longer it would have continued. Since the UTV's buffer is only suppose to be up to 2 hours... I was impressed it went over. (92% Full and running only one tuner (one cable run))

I've also been impressed with the UI. I can make setting modifications without interrupting recordings (My DTivo decided to "dump" 50 minutes of a program after I made a change to it's end time). I can pull up the guide without having to be flashed with Live TV... (In some cases a program I'm already recording/watching on delay)

Dtivo doesn't give me a Preview window when I'm trying to multi-task while watching a recording. I always get bombarded with "Live" programs when I'm trying to make a quick recording option or checking the guide for upcoming shows. Long live UTV.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Wow, what a bummer if you were recording a game and just to check out the guide it would go live with the game. I'd normally think this was operator error, but if lgodave says a dtivo actually does this, then I'd never get one untill they fixed that "feature".

I wonder if utv was written portably or if it was one of these systems with all sorts of "tricks" to make it work fast enough. Is it written at a high enough level that the UI layer could be ported.

Just because the UI is so clean doesn't mean the software is. The original mac UI was so good given it had a primative O.S. of the sort found in embedded systems that was a nightmare full of conflicts because it's O.S. never was intended for multi-tasking.

But, if suppose, this system was built clean and portable, then it sure seems a waste that they don't just dust it off and use it with the latest hardware. But there's probably an ownership issue as well.

The one thing that worries me though is that there's still one serious bug (runnaway FF) that smells like the code wasn't written cleanly, or they'd have been able to fix this given it was reported long before they folded up.

·
Registered
592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket /forum/post/0

Wow, what a bummer if you were recording a game and just to check out the guide it would go live with the game. I'd normally think this was operator error, but if lgodave says a dtivo actually does this, then I'd never get one untill they fixed that "feature".

The DTV R15's and HR20's work the same way. There is nothing equivalent to channel 1020 -- no place to "park" and view your playlist. So if both tuners are active, you'll see one of those shows live in the preview window while you review your list of recorded shows or upcoming shows.

·
Registered
592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket /forum/post/0

I bought my first unit about the time of my registering on this site (ha, I think I have the oldest date of anyone left on this board).

Okay, but I get 3rd oldest behind you and Kazak (at least on this thread)
. (My diminished level of posting probably counts against me though.)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJames /forum/post/0

The DTV R15's and HR20's work the same way. There is nothing equivalent to channel 1020 -- no place to "park" and view your playlist. So if both tuners are active, you'll see one of those shows live in the preview window while you review your list of recorded shows or upcoming shows.

Sorry to hear that... but it does sound like there have been some improvements made since my HDDVR2 (DTV Tivo DVR) roled off the line. I don't have a "preview" window displayed while looking at the upcoming recordings or my "Now Playing" list.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Quote:

It took me a whole nother year to find out where the cool guys hung out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've used mine for about 5 years, no problems. I've had 3 other boxes (plus windows media extender) but none do as much or as easily. it's worth it just for a usable 30 second skip

·
Registered
42 Posts
Two UTVs here still going strong. Both modded with 120 gig drives. I also have a DTivo HD, but the UTVs still get the most work from the family.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I took mine out of server right before Christmas. It still worked fine....just wanted more capacity and didnt feel like upgrading the hard drive on something I had had for so long (bought it in March 2002). I may end up putting it on eBay in the near future.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I am the original owner of a UTV that was still working fine when I unplugged it about 3 years ago (switched to cable). I added the larger hard drive mod and it has a keyboard. I also have the original hard drive that came with it.

I'll sell it to the best offer in the next 10 days. Just PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:

I'll have to bump you one. Still going strong with both tuners here although one tuner occasionally goes out, I just have to unplug the machine overnight (cool down) to get it back.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts