81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/11521988

RE: Adding "old" receivers.

Got a couple more UTVs in service on Monday. (total 6 UTVs, 1 DTivo) Ready for FALL 07!

No contract extension... but they were sticklers for paying the $20 access card fees (Being USED Receivers and all). But I did get them to "credit" it back as DTV Service Credit so I'm happy with that. It will pay back the card fees AND then some over the next 6 months.

I guess you don't have an HDTV yet?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgo /forum/post/11512572

DirecTV has created a huge fiasco with the HR20, but the word is that DirecTV want's out of the DVR business and may be outsourcing the project. Hope that's true and we'll see some real progress on the unit. I think the hardware is OK, but the software still has a lot of problems.

Think they may go back with Tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard /forum/post/11523434

I use two HR20-700's and I am not having any problems with the software. I certainly welcome improvements, but I have very few missed recordings and no greater problems than I have had with TiVo or ReplayTV. I don't like the software as well as I like the TiVo software, but I can make it work well enough to be complaint free.

Chris

I've only had the HR20 for a week, but I can say overall I do like it. It has come a long way since it first started a year ago, and thats one of the reasons I waited so long to get one, to let it get more stable.

I've never had Tivo, only UTV, so I can't comment either way on that.

But I do like the HR20.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol /forum/post/11523499

I guess you don't have an HDTV yet?

I do have an HDTV in the Living Room... I'm sure DTV will make it harder and harder for me to ignore it's increasing HD Channel selections... But "ignorance" is bliss as they say.

When I installed the HDTV I tried using some "Rabbit Ears" to get some local broadcast HD channels... Got a taste of CBS-HD,PBS-HD, and others. I did like PBS's feed. I could certainly "SEE" the difference. A friend with HDTV, didn't need any "special" HD Antenna... just used an set of "Rabbit Ears"... That approach doesn't work for me (constant tuning needed)... so I might look into ramping it up a bit.

Next opportunity for an upgrade I'll be sure to have DTV send me an HD DVR. Until then I'll pay for a decent pair of "Rabbit Ears" and save the ($9.99 a month?) HD Channels fee.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/11534140

I do have an HDTV in the Living Room... I'm sure DTV will make it harder and harder for me to ignore it's increasing HD Channel selections... But "ignorance" is bliss as they say.

When I installed the HDTV I tried using some "Rabbit Ears" to get some local broadcast HD channels... Got a taste of CBS-HD,PBS-HD, and others. I did like PBS's feed. I could certainly "SEE" the difference. A friend with HDTV, didn't need any "special" HD Antenna... just used an set of "Rabbit Ears"... That approach doesn't work for me (constant tuning needed)... so I might look into ramping it up a bit.

Next opportunity for an upgrade I'll be sure to have DTV send me an HD DVR. Until then I'll pay for a decent pair of "Rabbit Ears" and save the ($9.99 a month?) HD Channels fee.

Just curious, have you thought about putting up an outside rooftop antenna? That would really help you get the local channels in HD.

D* will be adding a whole bunch of HD channels this month, it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
After 5 years I am finally switching to Verizon FIOS TV so I can get HDTV. I have a tree issue getting to the HD sat and I have finally decided to make the switch. The cost of the new HD Tivo put me over the top. At $299 (and less if you look hard enough) it wa a no brainer. I've also been losing my D* signal almost every time it rains which never happened before and I believe I make have a new line of sight issue due to neighbor's trees.

I will be retiring 3 UTVs, all of which have been upgraded with bigger hard drives and one that is still in use (the other two had some issues and I replaced them with Direct Tivos).

Over 5 years later and the UTV interface is still the best out there. What a great product. It's a shame Microsoft didn't have the foresight to stay with this product. I think had they gotten to market before Tivo that they would have had a much larger market share and possibly would still be in production today.

Anyone interested in 3 UTVs??

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol /forum/post/11534833

Just curious, have you thought about putting up an outside rooftop antenna? That would really help you get the local channels in HD.

Check. One "Roof" antenna in the attic space (with Rotor)... But after 10 years of DTV... Some rewiring (UTVs are wired for "Whole house" access) and moving some insulation (to allow full 360 movement) is in order.

The Antenna (although old) should work... but "sharing" the runs with DTV (via Multi-Switch) I think may be degrading the HD feed... along with various wiring issues and it's aim. So maybe an exclusive run direct from the antenna might be a good option.

The "Rabbit Ears" option seems good to me only in simplicity... A bit of work and I should get "FULL" Broadcast HD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just another history note... until spring 2005 DTV had refurbished units to provide through the warranty plan (5.99/month) ... when they ran out, I ran over to Dish which had a big tech lead IMHO which DTV has finally caught up with so now I'm back to DTV... Does that make me a whore?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My two RCA DWD490RE UTVs were repaired/upgraded by CCS earlier this year. Now both have Maxtor 160GB drives in them.

I mainly sent them out for the bigger drives, the only repair issue was the modems in both units had been fried due to electrical storms in my area. Due to frequent pop-up storm activity where I live (near Atlanta, GA) I no longer leave them connected to the phone line, rather I plug them in periodically overnight when I think of it, and there are no storms forecast, so they "phone home".

A tech at DTV told me unless I ordered Pay-Per-View programming, this would never be an issue anyway. I never order PPV stuff. I do have MLB Extra Innings but I've never had an issue with that package even if the units had not called home in many months, so I think the "sports subscription requires a phone line connected all the times" is pure BS. (DTV sort of admitted it was).

I will stick with the UTVs for as long as they can be maintained/repaired and DirecTV supports the service.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
As for the "maintained/repaired" aspect...

As long as CCS and others are available (along with parts) with the knowledge to repair the common UTV problems (and future wear and tear issues). UTV can live on...

It's just a matter if DTV will offer the updates and service over say the next 10 years or so to keep them Active. There are probably a lot of early generation DTV/USSB DSS Receivers out there that are still trucking on... when those are phased out UTV's active life is probably over.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Am still a UTV user. Just checked in to find out about my v.28230 upgrade recieved on 9/11. Any of you guys also happen to be "Ham Radio" operators?

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB153 /forum/post/11643528

Any of you guys also happen to be "Ham Radio" operators?

Me, me

kazak

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee /forum/post/11637305

My two RCA DWD490RE UTVs were repaired/upgraded by CCS earlier this year. Now both have Maxtor 160GB drives in them.

so I think the "sports subscription requires a phone line connected all the times" is pure BS. (DTV sort of admitted it was).

I just put in a 160 after the 3.8 upgrade got me tinkering again. Love that 110 hours!

I know that my one unit attached to a phone line only calls out if I had ordered a PPV. I have vonage, and it records all phone calls made and I could see when it would call. It uses only the touch-tones to communicate, as my vonage service can't handle a modem connection. I don't know if that even uses a modem or what, did you try the system test with a phone line hookup?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Figured it's been rather quite here.

Were have all the UTV users gone? Are they just "happy" with their UTVs and no need to complain or comment?

Have they been upgrading? What is DirecTV's current offering of DVR units? I hear a new DirecTV/Tivo DVR is on the way for 2009... anyone holding out for that? My last experience with DirecTV DVRs haven't been good compared to Tivo which I've also got concerns with... For us "holdouts" some tips on what our options are might be nice.

I'd suspect HD has been chipping away at UTV retirements to secondary status or the storage shelf.

UTV tuner deaths might be another.

The growth of SATA Hard Drives and reduced availability/price of PATA/IDE Drives maybe?

It's getting lonely on here. So I've been keeping busy on the local HDTV and CECB OTA forums following the Odyssey of the DTVPAL and it's fellow models (TR-40 and the new DTVPAL+). Wished I'd have waited for the DTVPAL+ since I live in a Fringe area and could have used the "stronger" tuner.

Long live UTV.

Dave

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi David.....

I still get my notifications when someone replies to an old thread, brings back memories.

Boy do I miss the good 'ol days...Kazak, NlogN, you, Hal>>> hahaha!

Always new things to try, and tricks to help people out.

Between playing with UTV's and doing the unmentionable to HU's, it was a blast

I still have 4 UTV's piled up beside my desk. Keeps it alive for me. I can't bring myself

to remove them.

Since I don't get to watch very much TV these days, it's a BELL HD PVR for me.

Canada is slowly catching up.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I retired my UTV a year ago when I upgraded to the HR20 and HD. I just couldn't see paying 9.95 a month for the UTV service and the 4.95 a month DVR fee. I haven't had any issues with mine.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol /forum/post/14744049

I retired my UTV a year ago when I upgraded to the HR20 and HD. I just couldn't see paying 9.95 a month for the UTV service and the 4.95 a month DVR fee. I haven't had any issues with mine.

I'm trying to remember what DirecTV HR I tried for a day or two. HR15 maybe?

Larger Hard Drive but I don't think it had a 30 sec skip (30 second slide I think). GUI wasn't to my liking and the UTV it was going to replace started behaving again... So it went back to DirecTV.

Yep, I should seriously look into the fees I'm paying DTV. Still have the protection plan, UTV and Tivo service fees, along with all my mirror receiver fees. Got a few UTVs that have been "offline" for a while... Should seriously consider deactivating them. (Had one up for Summer Olympics, then unplugged it until yesterday... Fall TV '09 is finally swinging into gear and need the space.)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/14746984

I'm trying to remember what DirecTV HR I tried for a day or two. HR15 maybe?

Larger Hard Drive but I don't think it had a 30 sec skip (30 second slide I think). GUI wasn't to my liking and the UTV it was going to replace started behaving again... So it went back to DirecTV.

Yep, I should seriously look into the fees I'm paying DTV. Still have the protection plan, UTV and Tivo service fees, along with all my mirror receiver fees. Got a few UTVs that have been "offline" for a while... Should seriously consider deactivating them. (Had one up for Summer Olympics, then unplugged it until yesterday... Fall TV '09 is finally swinging into gear and need the space.)

You probably had an HR20 or an R15 (SD version), there is no HR15.

I have the HR20 HD DVR. It has come a LONG way since it came out 2 years ago. It now has true 30 second skip. For me it seems faster then the UTV was, especially for searches, it has triple tap on the remote, like a cell phone, to type words in.

I've never had any major issues with mine, it records everything I tell it to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sony UTV bought July 2001 replaced hard drive with 120GB shortly thereafter. That drive was replaced earlier this year after the whining noise became too loud. Tuners were replaced this year (thanks to CCS).

Unit is running strong. I even log on to WebTV just to see if it works.

This is now the oldest consumer electronic device that I am using on a regular basis. I have a Sony Beta VCR still hooked up to my entertainment center but haven't put a tape into it in a long time.

I havent seen any similar device demonstrated that works as well as UTV. But I am probably not a neutral observer.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts