AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For brand new movies, especially ones that were mixed in Atmos from 3 years ago, I have stopped buying them altogether.

For older classics, black and white films... I don't care as much on the audio side. I won't care if they remixed casablanca or nosferatu in Atmos... but i would love those in 4k one day.

Either way, both 4k and atmos announcements are bound to kill sales. I think a bulk of blu-ray sales come from enthusiast. Average joe are still purchasing DVDs or not buying anything, but rent from redbox or stream.

What are you doing?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I'm going to try to keep my Blu-ray purchases at the sub-$10 price point (ideally sub-$7), unless its 3D, then I bump that higher. Or if it is a movie I really like, I go higher. There may not even be a big push for 3D in 4K, so my purchasing strategy won't change much on those.

I think it will be a long time before 4K Blu-ray hits the price points we are seeing on catalog releases and releases that have been out for a few months. But I've seen it on HD-DVD/Blu-ray and DVD, so it will happen and I won't get fooled a 3rd time.

I feel real stupid for stocking up on HD-DVD in the $10 range when Blu-ray got that cheap on most releases within a couple years.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Zero purchases. I believe 4K will be a temporary transition format in the market, much like DVHS once was.
We're kind of lucky we got 4K this time, and if it gets hacked, I wonder if we will get another physical standard format. What do you think 4K is a transition to? If you are saying 8K, I really wonder about that.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Not me.

Blu Rays already work for me. I'm building my collection with the regular (and 3D) Blus. Have about 1200 blu rays so far.

I don't want to redo my sound system. And I only recently upgraded my projector.

I don't think I'll buy 4K content at all but time will tell.

-Brian

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
A better, more capable 4K format. I think they've made some limited technological choices to get it out on the market as soon as possible. They are repeating the same mistake they made with HD DVD.
Well, you might get a 2nd batch of discs that have better specs, but it sounds like the standard will cover limited and non-limited. So yes and no...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i actually had a very similar strategy turls even in the very beginning of the format wars. i had a whole bunch of HD DVDs (for example U571 still has less DNR than BD) but i got rid of them once i saw BD was going to win the war. do you remember the BOGO days? that was insane how many free discs they were selling at that point. looking back a lot of them had terrible transfers... but that's part of being early adopters.

my strategy has been changed once again with 4k/atmos. anything new i'll wait for 4k+atmos. anything older, 4k maybe if it's a really great transfer.

but basically it's a complete halt for me until more 4k with or without atmos get sussed out. i did the same thing with DVDs the moment hidef discs were announced in 2005/2006 range was the moment i sold off my entire DVD collection. i didn't have much but i got rid of everything and awaited the hidef discs.
I'm going to try to keep my Blu-ray purchases at the sub-$10 price point (ideally sub-$7), unless its 3D, then I bump that higher. Or if it is a movie I really like, I go higher. There may not even be a big push for 3D in 4K, so my purchasing strategy won't change much on those.

I think it will be a long time before 4K Blu-ray hits the price points we are seeing on catalog releases and releases that have been out for a few months. But I've seen it on HD-DVD/Blu-ray and DVD, so it will happen and I won't get fooled a 3rd time.

I feel real stupid for stocking up on HD-DVD in the $10 range when Blu-ray got that cheap on most releases within a couple years.
not sure if that was a sarcastic comment or not... but most silent films since the dawn of narrative films have always wanted sound and they accomplished it through music. that's why most silent films have an accompanying score, some original, some many years after. the desire was always there to have sound/music... it just wasn't technically feasible yet til post 1927. chaplin went back to all of his films and wrote scores for all of them in the 1970s i believe. and per his own instructions he actually added in sound fx in some of the films... it'd be interesting to hear those in atmos. but even music in atmos would sound amazing. hoping more lossless music take advantage of new surround technologies.

I'd love to hear an Atmos version of Nosferatu, seeing it's a silent flick. :D

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
The problem with that is the same as if you do it now, the features may not match, and it may be years if ever before you get new versions. Iron Giant anyone?

i did the same thing with DVDs the moment hidef discs were announced in 2005/2006 range was the moment i sold off my entire DVD collection. i didn't have much but i got rid of everything and awaited the hidef discs.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
If I end up with a 4K system, then I'll buy 4K BDs, if I don't have the BD or DVD of it already.

I wasn't one of those who rushed out and replaced every DVD with the BD version. I won't be one of those who rushes out to replace the BD with the 4K version.

Besides, you would need your own IMAX in order to see the difference. I already have a 73 TV, a 90 is in my sights to replace it with, not sure how big I'd have to go in order to use all that 4Kness....

Seggers

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i thought everyone could drop $2mil on personal IMAX at home? easy peasy right? :D

If I end up with a 4K system, then I'll buy 4K BDs, if I don't have the BD or DVD of it already.

I wasn't one of those who rushed out and replaced every DVD with the BD version. I won't be one of those who rushes out to replace the BD with the 4K version.

Besides, you would need your own IMAX in order to see the difference. I already have a 73 TV, a 90 is in my sights to replace it with, not sure how big I'd have to go in order to use all that 4Kness....

Seggers

i've been collecting since the VHS/LD days and i have never seen a featurette/behind the scenes that's worth re-watching. the closest thing is from THX1138 disc about the rise of the film school generation. after i've seen it once, i don't much care about it. it's like the upcoming Kingdom of Heaven Ultimate. i have the BD, dont care about roadshow/theatrical cut nor bonus. i'll keep the current copy in spite of MPEG2, it's still a pretty pristine transfer. i had the SD-DVD SE already and have seen/heard all the commentaries. no point in revisiting.

The problem with that is the same as if you do it now, the features may not match, and it may be years if ever before you get new versions. Iron Giant anyone?

·
Registered
693 Posts
One of the reasons I switched the bulk of my purchasing to UltraViolet is the potential of being able to upgrade movies, rather than replace them, as better formats emerge. The frustration of physical media is that I do not want to keep buying the same movies over and over again. At some point, it just gets to be stupid. Paying a couple bucks to upgrade to the newer format is a much better value proposition and I suspect that is what we will see in the future. I also think that the days of physical media are truly numbered.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I will wait on 4K as I see its a long way off... I just upgraded everything for atmos my 1080 plasmas are just fine for size and for my viewing distance but audio is another story DSU in my opinion is worth the price of admission for atmos I think 2015 will be the year for atmos content

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Why would you listen to an album again if you've heard the songs once already?
The difference being an album doesn't have a plot, character development, etc. Nobody lists spoiler warnings when they talk about song lyrics. It's like comparing apples to your car keys.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The difference being an album doesn't have a plot, character development, etc. Nobody lists spoiler warnings when they talk about song lyrics. It's like comparing apples to your car keys.
What I'm saying is that film is an art form. There are many pieces of art that can be experienced many, many times.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts