Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately mine took a hit Tuesday.

room is too big for the center speaker: 2x16cm, tioxid tweeter, 14kg but room is heavily dampened accousticaly, and very big: 12,000cb feet, the kind of volume that requires a jbl synthesis for instance.

one woofer is starting to show disorsion as last night I tested JP III and the spinosaure scene was too much for her, even though she's in small (80hz), 0db in the set up, and the denon 4800was Ã* -12dB. I would say this disc audio is not well encoded compared tothe JP I and II, the sound mix itself is so so and while sounding powerful, it's wrongly spread among the channels imho. but again, for such a large room and for more and more dvds who carry powerful sound mixes, we definitely need either high sensitive speakers and/or very large ones. center channel can generally carry 80% of the soundmix information also !

but we know that without clip indicator, we are in blind territory as far as clipping is concerned.

so, who got this unfortunate experience too ? thanks for sharing it.

this link will give you a good idea at how fast a room volume increase is demanding on the speakers-hardware :
http://www.genelec.com/ht/support/selection.php

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I had a B&W N-HTM2 that was brand new but had a defective driver in it. About a week after owning it, the voicecoil unwound itself and shot halfway into the room. It was pretty cool....

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
For what looks like an interesting article about clipping, chech this out. (I haven't read it yet)

Here are a couple of projects for building clipping indicators: #1 and #2 .

·
Registered
597 Posts
When i was auditioning receivers, the DENON 3802 blew my paradigm center channel. That is probably a huge reason why I am a 45tx owner.

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I haven't blew up my magnepan center channel yet (their planar woofer are hard to blow up), but I've blew tons of tweeter fuses. Even upping the fuse rating from 4 to 5 amp doesn't resolve the issue. Am thinking of bypassing the fuse since the QR design should be very tolerant to obuse.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
sushi,

I got a McCormack HT-1, with 150w/8 ohm (250w/4ohm) for the center channel, and the center is high passed via active 4th order xo @ 155hz.

My magnepan mains (MG-IIIa) are doing fine with a 80wpc Krell KSA-80, crossed @ 51hz via 4th order active xo.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Iwang, yeah but your $$$ would be better spent for an even more powerful amp than for a possible replacement tweeter unit, no? :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
I blew a Bose center up(I know I know nooB nooB mistake) 8 ) It was a Denon reciever.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I had a 120 wpc yamaha receiver clip on the center channel when listening to the finale of Drumline. This receiver's only job is to drive the center, and given the choice between a relay cutting off the amp (which it did) and the speaker blowing, I'd choose the former. Time to go shopping for a dedicated amp for this channel. The receiver is used basically for dd/dts and ac-3 rf decoding.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
sushi,

I have not heard a single instance of Maggie's QR blowing out. Even with the fuse bypassed, it is not very likely. To replace a McCormack HT-1 with a more powerful, but equally good sounding one will cost much more than a center channel tweeter fix (there is no tweeter swapout since the tweeter driver is integrated with the bass unit.)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have 450w going to a B&W HTM-1 and I have never had any problems even at ear piercing volumes. I am running (2) Harmon/Kardon Citation 7.1's in bridged mode producing 450w to each of the front (3) channels and running 150W to each of the rears for now until I buy another 7.1 amp. The fastest way to damage a speaker it to listen at high volume with an under-powered amplifier.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank for sharing your experiences. indeed, underpower is a killer for transducers (woofers, tweeters) but the speakers power handling is also playing a role and so does the room size (the bigger, in length and volume, the exponential the requirements in power and/or sensitivity are). Headroom for an amp is a must, say 6dB perhaps. Gives a good security margin.

Increasing amp power is essential but at some time, in terms of reliability and knowing "where the amp power is at any given time", ie, clip indicator, pro amps become a compulsory route to go imho.

Switching to high sensitivity and high handling power speakers is also an alternative and/or a combination of both (pro amps and high sensitive pro speakers).

This is for large rooms of course.

Maybe consumers amps should feature clip indicators. Maybe these indicators would flash too often :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.