AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have two platforms one will be 7'x12'x12" and the front one will be 6'x12'x6". Should I go with one BKII in each platform or go with two in each?

Thanks.

Elmer

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by emillika
I will have two platforms one will be 7'x12'x12" and the front one will be 6'x12'x6". Should I go with one BKII in each platform or go with two in each?
I think it depends on how you build the platforms and how many amps you will drive to each. If you build your platforms too solid and the spans are short then it will not move. In my discussions with support it needs to move like a guitar string for optimal effect. ie. suspended on both ends but allowed to move in the middle. That is why you can mount these babys to floor joist assuming sufficent span.

I might suggest the perimeter in 2x12s the the middle boards spanning the long length of 2x6's. Maybe even 2x4's if on 12" centers. (my system uses platforms suspended by springs so what I suggest is based on conversations with tech support and reviewing various others comments about their platforms.)

From their FAQ on their site:
Quote:
How Do I Know What Will shake?

First, please read our User's Guide. We endeavor to teach the user how to correctly apply the ButtKicker shaker so to receive the desired results. Since construction and structure are so directly involved in the final results, the User's Guide provides a good foundation to understanding the principles involved. We would also be happy to help provide insight to your specific situation.

The ButtKicker is an excellent low frequency transducer, but what it drives (your platform/floor) will have a direct influence on the total system response. Good low frequency response is a combination of both the ButtKicker driver and the surface/platform driven by the ButtKicker. The platform, whether it is a suspended wood floor, or a platform built under your furniture, needs to be able to move/shake at low frequencies. A tight (usually small) platform may vibrate freely at higher or midrange frequencies but not have the freedom to move for the low frequencies.
Whatever you decide you can double check with their support.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.