AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 628 Posts

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where the relevant sub-forum for this question would be, but I'm wondering how many others have done this. We dumped Dish almost a year ago and I have never looked back. It was the greatest phone call of my life and gave me some real satisfaction cancelling that contract. :D It wasn't about the money though, we bought a Roku and hooked it up to the main TV because we wanted to watch Breaking Bad on Netflix. After that series we started finding other shows and signed up for Hulu and Amazon Prime as well. Eventually we realized that we were never switching the input to Dish anymore so we got rid of it. I'm not a sports fan anymore and news and weather are easier to get on my phone so we now have a Roku on every TV in the house.

Anybody else joining the revolution?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I cut the cord three years ago. Don't miss it at all.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Wait a minute. What can you watch on a Roku without an internet connection? Oh snap! Doesn't having the internet typically involve subscribing either through the Cable Company or the Phone company? Sounds to me more like cable shifting and not cutting... :p

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think about cutting the cord every now and then, but I watch close to 100 NHL games a year - mostly on my regional Fox Sports Network. And I've gotta watch the Packers. Not sure how I could cut and keep watching the Wild and Packers. And I time shift 90% or more of it with my DVR. So for now DirecTV gets my $81.91 a month.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think about cutting the cord every now and then, but I watch close to 100 NHL games a year - mostly on my regional Fox Sports Network. And I've gotta watch the Packers. Not sure how I could cut and keep watching the Wild and Packers. And I time shift 90% or more of it with my DVR. So for now DirecTV gets my $81.91 a month.
SlignTV has a lot of sports included in $20/month and additional sports pack for $5. I'm not a sports fan, so not sure if it'll suit

If it's local won't it be on the local Fox OTA?

·
Registered
417 Posts
SlignTV has a lot of sports included in $20/month and additional sports pack for $5. I'm not a sports fan, so not sure if it'll suit

If it's local won't it be on the local Fox OTA?
Thanks for the tip. But no, SlingTV does not carry NFL games or Fox. As for Fox, I am not talking about the local Fox OTA, but the regional Fox Sports Network. - In my case, Fox Sports North. As far as I know, FSN is not available at all without Satellite or Cable.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
my situation is much like yours except I pay about $125 a month for Direct TV

Its would be VERY hard to ween myself from all the live sports and other shows that you cant get elsewhere

Warren

·
Registered
49 Posts
When the digital changeover happened, I never bothered to get new cable service. So that's what, 6 years? Broadband internet gives me everything I need. Had to tell the cable people to put me on a do not call list a couple years ago because they were calling daily trying to get me into a cable/phone/internet bundle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont know if you would call it cord cutting but I have Netflix, Hulu and Slingtv (approx. $38) plus $50 for a good internet package.

I guess for that price you can get bundles now from different providers. My preference is however, to not have to worry about installation, paying for DVRs and managing them.

Others for that price prefer to have the whole gamut of 100 plus channels and whatnot.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait a minute. What can you watch on a Roku without an internet connection? Oh snap! Doesn't having the internet typically involve subscribing either through the Cable Company or the Phone company? Sounds to me more like cable shifting and not cutting... :p
lol in my case I manage a wireless ISP so no cords, well cat-5 from radio to router, but that's it. I also have no data caps and don't pay for it! I've cut as many cords as technically possible at this point.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
I haven't cut anything because I've always been a "cord-never".

However, we recently converted our copper lines to FIOS for phone and Internet service. Point being that with their pricing structure the cost increment to add their basic TV package (150 channels, 30 HD) to the phone/Internet package is only $10/month -- add another $5/month for a cable card for my TiVo.

With that kind of pricing, there is very little incentive to cut anything -- quite the opposite -- if it's that cheap why not just get it. I decided not to get it because I've been content with my OTA content, but it has been bugging me that in a very real sense I am subsidizing the TV package for someone else. Sooner or later, cable will catch up with that pricing model that recognizes that everyone will pay for Internet and make that service the cost leader. Then TV service will be a low-cost add-on and threads like this one will disappear.

Reactions: jrref and Phrehdd

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't cut anything because I've always been a "cord-never".

However, we recently converted our copper lines to FIOS for phone and Internet service. Point being that with their pricing structure the cost increment to add their basic TV package (150 channels, 30 HD) to the phone/Internet package is only $10/month -- add another $5/month for a cable card for my TiVo.

With that kind of pricing, there is very little incentive to cut anything -- quite the opposite -- if it's that cheap why not just get it. I decided not to get it because I've been content with my OTA content, but it has been bugging me that in a very real sense I am subsidizing the TV package for someone else. Sooner or later, cable will catch up with that pricing model that recognizes that everyone will pay for Internet and make that service the cost leader. Then TV service will be a low-cost add-on and threads like this one will disappear.
My thought is cable and satellite have waited to long to jump on the bandwagon. They've left a bad taste in everyone's mouths for decades. As many have said already in this forum the ones that haven't cut have thought about it. The wave is already rolling and I don't think they can stop it. I see them going the way of the video rental stores, the music industry, etc. They've sat around too long thinking this was a fad instead of embracing it. Take a look at young people today. Most teenagers and early 20 year old's do not have cable in their homes. My 16 year old didn't even notice we removed his cable box when we sent it back.

1 - 20 of 628 Posts