AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at the spec. for the surge protector. The rating is in joule. How do I found out how many device I can plug into it without causing any danger?

I think I can find out the wattage of my componds.

Usually I don't use them all at once but I don't want to take the risk if someone just turn them all on and cause fire.

Here is a list of componds that I have.

55" LCD RPTV

70W x 5 receiver

30W x 2 receiver

350W subwoofer

CD player

5 disc CD changer

DVR cable box

DVD player

Mixer for mics

Is it ok to wire all these through a receptacles with a 20 Amp breaker?

thanks

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viodea
I looked at the spec. for the surge protector. The rating is in joule. How do I found out how many device I can plug into it without causing any danger?
The Joule ratting is how big of a surge the device can absorb.

The number of devices you can hook up to it is only limited by the breaker on it or the breaker on that circuit in your house.

To find out how much current you are possibly using take all the listed wattages of your devices and divide that total by 120.

Amps =Watts/Volts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. One more question. How do I found out how many Amp the surge protector's AC line can handle? I don't see it list anywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Check near the UL sticker... it may have a wattage rating. Personally I would avoid the surge protector (they are worthless during a lightning strike) and get 2-3 high quality splitters that will handle 15A devices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.