Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did read the FAQ.

Why do I need to receive a signal from 2 sats for HDTV ?

Do I have to use an oval dish, or can I use 2 standard dishes ?

How many LNB's for HDTV and should I get the LNBs with the dual output ?

Thanks !

Matthew

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You don't necessarily need two satellites to get HDTV, but you do if you want HDTV and all the other channels. And not all the HD channels are on the same satellite, so you might still need to point to more than one, depending on WHICH HDTV stations you want.

You can use an oval dish with multiple LNB's to point to multiple satellites, ala DirecTV, or you can use one dish for each satellite, ala DISH.

I opted for the oval dish since the one dish can point to up to three satellites.

David

·
Registered
76 Posts
from what i have read, it is possible to use 2 round dishes to receive the 101,110,119 sats ( using 3 to get all of them). I believe that the Sat C is the one with the SHOHD station and and sat b has the other HD stations. ( I hope i got that right). and in order to receive that SHOHD u would need that Sat C LNB and a multi switch if u are going to use the round dishes instead of the oval dish. I have the oval dish with all three LNB's and think this is a much easier setup. If u are going to get the oval dish, try to get the one with the built-in multi-switch ( it is located where the LNB's connect). DirecTv has these dishes , u can upgrade ( depending on the CSR u get ) for under 13 dollars and under 9 dollars for that Sat C kit but they may ask u to commit to a one yr subscription. Hope this helped alittle

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
argus_23,

You can't get all 3 sat's with just 2 round dishes. The round dish can only point at one sat at a time. The oval dish is designed so as to receive a signal from all 3 sats (101/110/119). Each bird is 9 degrees apart from the next.

Matthew,

If you want to receive Showtime HD and HBO HD then you would need to have access to the sat's at 110 and 119. The main programming is on 101. Hence the 3 sat's and 3 LNB's (daul). Save yourself some grief, buy the oval dish. Some people want the absolute max signal and go with the multiple round dishes - 3 times the dishes = 3 times the work to get them all working right. The oval dish is a little more work up front to get aligned but all most anyone with some mechanical ability (read the manual first) can install an oval dish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.