AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still waiting for the BEV installer to call me to book an appointment for replacing the dish to enable me to receive both sats. In the meantime I'd be more comfortable if I could possibly acquire any necessary equipment that my requirements would call for before the installer arrives, just in case he tells me he'd have to come back again with any additional accessories, etc.

I have two TVs, only one of whom is a HDTV. I currently feed both from the 91 sat dish. Here's what I want to do: I want to feed the HDTV, which incidentally will be moved to my new HT in the basement, with both the 6000 and the 5100 (PVR) receivers. I'm assuming here that this will enable me to record one channel while watching another channel. I need a feed to the other TV for which I can use a 3100 receiver, and also provide an extra feed to a possible third TV some time in the future.

Question 1. Will the upgraded 20" dish with the dual LNB give me what I am looking for or would I be better off going for a) two separate dishes, or b) going for a quad LNB ?

Question 2. If the suggested route is two separate dishes, can I use an Ex StarChoice 18" dish or is there some limiting factor ( as usual,) to stump me saving it from landfill ? Would I have to replace the LNB to suit BEV ? Thanks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd go the Quad LNB route. Single 20" DISH. 4 receivers. 4 cables. Nothing extra. I'm almost certain the new switch firmware for the BEV/EVU receivers will support that configuration. (Quad LNB's are basically two LNB's with a pair of 2 GHz splitters and 4 SW21's).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kermee;

I've been reading about Directv CSRs calling and asking to turn to channel 90 to see if you can get their logo. If you can, then you are (supposedly) all set to receive ESPN-HDTV when (if) they start broadcasting it.

I currently have the 20"oval dish with 2 LNB and 4 cables. I cannot receive this channel 90. Am I missing something here? Do you need a third LNB to get this channel 90? And does this channel 90/3rd LNB mean they will broadcast from a 3rd satellite?

I appreciate your help.

GLD

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yes, Showtime HD is on Sat C (the one at 110 degrees). Any additional HD channels are supposed to be added to Sat C. Directvs main SD programming is on SAT A (101 degrees) and HDNet and HBO HD are on SAT B (119 degrees).

if you have an 18x24 2 LNB dish, you can add the SAT C Kit now or later. If you want Showtime HD, get it now. If you only want EPSN HD, get the kit later when you know for sure that Directv is going to carry it and that it is going to be on SAT C.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Kermee. That's seems the neatest and less expensive route to take. "She who must be obeyed" wouldn't like another dish on the roof gable end anyway ! Adding another LNB shouldn't be that difficult nor time consuming for the installer. I'm wondering though about those switches you mentioned. BEV will no doubt supply one SW21 but I think the 2Ghz splitters and the rest of the SW21s you mentioned could be additional costs to me. I just hope he can successfully thread the feed through to my new "HT" in the basement. Do you think maybe I should lay in a LNB for when the installer comes or do installers normally have these accessories on hand ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.