AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More and more video products are incorporating the Sage/Faroudja chipsets. I'm in the market for a FP and possibly a new DVD player. The new 16:9 DLPs are all incorporating the Faroudja chipset. So why might I want or need a scaler or progressive DVD player? What will the criteria be for buying?

DVD:

It's been said that the deinterlacing is best performed on the digital data before conversion to analog. This would imply I need a progressive player and then bypass the deinterlacing but use the scaling in the FP.

HDTV:

The set top boxes can send all sorts of formats. Would it be best to select 480i and let the FP do the processing?

VCR, OTA NTSC, cable, etc:

I believe these are all 480i, so why would I need an external scaler?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Can't help with FP specifics, but here's a tale with a RPTV. It turned out my DVD player (Toshiba SD-6200) and rear projector (Philips 64PH9905) both use the Genesis chip set.

I find that the interlaced component output of the DVD machine, deinterlaced by the projector (via the DVD component inputs), provides good images, although certain 'tough' scenes have bad interlace artifacts. But the progressive output of the DVD into the projector's HD component inputs eliminates these artifacts. Superb images.

All NTSC inputs to the Philips are processed through the Genesis circuits, which do a great job. I'd love to update my 16-month-old system by substituting the Faroudja chips, assuming they're superior at deinterlacing. Haven't heard of any FPs with Faroudja chips, but a nice combination might be a Faroudja-chip DVD player that accepts external inputs, plus a FP. -- John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.