AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to those who ripped DVD's to there hard drive. How many hard drives do you have and what is there size. Also do you compress your movies to say 3 or gig, or do you leave them uncompresses. I just got a 120G and if I don't compress movies it will hold about 20, and that not much.

Another question. When you rip trailers do you use shrink to reauthor, or do you just rip the vob's.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Currently have 2 x 120GB, plan on possibly getting 2 more drives at >250GB. You can transcode/re-author to remove items you don't want (non-english soundtracks, non-english subs, extras, etc) to reduce the size.

It seems that the average size for a given title is around 5-6GB (un-transcoded/raw). Assuming your 120GB drive is ONLY for DVD data (meaning you have another drive for all your other PC-related stuff, like the OS), your ~20 movies sounds about right.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you compress when you store on your hd?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
120GB fixed (System+audio+HDTV capture buffer), and three removable disks for HDTV, DVD ISO images and system backups (Using Kingwin aluminum disk trays, with fan disconnected), for a total capacity of 520GB

Not using compression per se.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have 3 60gb seagate barracudas V's (got them for low noise)

1 is boot/data drive (2 partitions) the other 2 are in a Raid0 for HDTV recording/timeshifting etc etc

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
My HTPC contains the following:

2x120g Seagates

2x160g Samsungs

1x80g Seagate

Contained in other 3 networked computers around the house (which also store various files):

3x40g Maxtors/Western Digital

2x80g Seagates

1x120g Seagate

1x20g Maxtor

I rip w/ smartripper and strip (movie only w/ 1 sound track) w/ ifoedit. I do not compress.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Fileserver boot disk = 20Gb Mirrored

Fileserver storage = 4x120Gb Mirrored, 3x80gb Mirrored

Main PC (1) = 36Gb SATA

Main PC (2) = 60Gb IDE

HTPC = 20Gb Seagate Baracuda IV

Arcade PC = 40Gb

Powerbook = 40Gb

Dell Laptop = 80Gb

Total fileserver storage = 740Gb (mirrored so 1.5Tb actual)

Misc other networked storage = 276Gb

Creeping towards 2Tb's...

I only store movies on the fileserver that are flippers or multidisk, I rip them uncompressed. The rest of the space is taken up with ripped CD's and all my other files - work & personal.

- Rick

·
Registered
793 Posts
My media server has 4 x 300GB Maxtor drives in RAID 3 (free capacity = 900 GB), and is expandable up to 8 drives for 2.1 TB. I also have 2 x 250 GB drives (one for music, the other for SageTV). It also has a system drive of 80 GB. My HTPC only has a single drive, 60 GB Barracuda IV.

I have about 130 movies ripped to my server, and I'm only up to about 700 GB. I rip my movies with DVDShrink, and strip all the menus/extras, but leave the main feature uncompressed. Ultimately, I should be able to store close to 400 movies when my RAID drive is full...

Should have bought stock in Maxtor or Seagate before I got started!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
jcruse, i just got a dvd burner and had a question about dvdshrink...does it usually fit the dvd onto 1 disc? if not does it allow you to adjust the quality to fit it...or are you stuck with multiple discs? thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nowadays there seems to be such great deasl on HD's, that I find it hard to pass up on such good deals.

I have: [1] 200 WD $23.00

[1] 120 SG $79.00

[1] 120 WD $59.00

[1] 160 MAX $119.00

[2] 80 WD $??

These are network across 3 computers

·
Registered
350 Posts
Notebook: 40GB

Desktop1: 120

Desktop2: 80

Desktop3: 80GB, 160GB

External FW: 120GB

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I have a

30 gig

30 gig

30 gig

40 gig

40 gig

40 gig

60 gig

80 gig

80 gig

100 gig

120 gig

120 gig

160 gig

160 gig

think that's it. it's hard to be sure

I think I have 2 60 gig. who knows. this is confusing to think about

cow

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Icecow, that is a seriously wacky and confuzzling setup! What's going on there?

I just recently ordered a bunch of parts to build a whole new PC, and I'm still waiting for the motherboad-CPU combo to arrive, so I don't really have anything working right now. But the hard drive I'm starting with is a 120-GB Barracuda (I jumped on a short-lived deal at Comp USA so I could save $90 in rebates). I plan to put movies on there without compression other than the removal of audio tracks I won't listen to and FBI warnings, trailers, menus, and such that I won't watch. I figure it'll hold all the movies and music I want for now, and my case can easily hold another one or more drives in future upgrades when I want to store more movies.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hard drives accumulate like rabbits.

Server - 3 160's raid 0, 2-120's raid 0, 1-19GB IBM (boot), 1-WD 120 (misc)

HTPC - 2 WD 30's, 1 External firewire 160

Kids - 1 -40 Deskstar

Wife - 1 - WD 120

Video editing - 1-Maxtor 120

Mac G4 - stock 80

It's a sickness.

Willie

Da' Bears still . . .:eek:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Twelve 200 Gig drives, I don't compress anything. If the price of storage was going up I would compress, but drives just get bigger and cheaper.

·
Registered
691 Posts
80G (3 partitions 20g sys, 30g Mame, 30g Trailers)

160G (music lib)

4x200g (dvd lib)

As far as how do I store my dvds? I use shrink uncompressed. I remove all bonus features, subtitles and unneeded audio tracks. I'm getting about 42 movies per drive.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Server

1 x 120 - server boot (3gb given to os - the rest is storage)

2 x 120 - mirror raid for stuff I really don't want to lose.

4 x 160 - storage

1 x 200 - storage

HTPC

1 x 120 - boot and temp HD recording storage

1 x 80 - more storage

I store DVD's as either shrink uncompressed (if the quality of the movie needs it) or as WM9 with AC3 sound. I also convert the recorded HD material to WM9 @ 1280x720. I've currently got over 200 movies, 25 episodes of CSI and 200 albums (in Monkey's Audio) on line. When I convert the movies to WM9 (or rip a cd into ape) I burn a backup on DVD since it takes a good bit of time to rip and encode. The rest I don't worry about since it takes less than 15 minutes to shrink from the original.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Server: 16 x 250GB in dual 8 drive RAID 5 arrays. Total of 3.5TB. Boot is a 60GB partition off of one of the RAID arrays, as i cannot fit any more drives in the case.

Each HTPC has a 160GB hard drive in it - though I will probably extract their O/S onto a seperate smaller drive and put the 160's into a security recorder I am building for work. With the media server now up and running, I no longer need that amount of drive space on the HTPC's.

I store my CD audio in APE, a lossless compression. I am working on getting my DVD storage configured, but I will not be recompressing the data. I would like to re-author the files just to remove the extras that I don't want.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.