AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a receiver today, but I'm stuck on how many HDMI inputs I really should be getting. Based on my budget and what is available, I'm stuck on either 2 or 3 (with about a $400 price difference between the two). Here's the situation:

Equipment I have:

- 60" Sony KDS60A2000 1080P HDTV with HDMI and component inputs

- Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR with HDMI and component outputs

- Upscaling DVD / VCR with 1080i upscaling via HDMI (HDMI required for upscaling)

- XBOX 360 with HD-DVD with component video outputs

- Infinity Modulus II 7.1 surround speakers

Considerations:

- Right now, only my DVD / VCR requires HDMI

- The Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR appears to have an identical picture via component vs. HDMI, and the channels change faster via component. (Will there be a real need for HDMI on my cable box or upgraded cable boxes in the near future?)

- I just setup a remodeled room for 7.1 surround, so I'm going to get a receiver that can do lossless 7.1 via HDMI (even though I don't have a player to output it yet).

- I fully expect to get the (rumored) XBOX 360 with HDMI for 1080P and lossless 7.1 output via HD-DVD (or possibly Blu-Ray at that time) within the next year.

- It will be at least 3 years before I can consider to upgrade this next receiver.

So, what do you think? Will I be okay with 2 HDMI inputs, or do I really need to shoot for 3? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Everyone's needs will vary...

For me, let's see:

Toshiba HD-XA2 for HD-DVD, will need one

Samsung BD-P1200 for Blu-ray, will need one more

Oppo DV-981HD for other region SD DVD, SACD, & DVD-A, uno mas

Dish ViP622 DVR, could also use one

HTPC, yet another to send from DVI to

That's five, and I don't play games. Those with game consoles could possibly need more. Of course, the first three on my list could be replaced by one player in a year or two. It would also be nice to have two outputs to connect my Panasonic PT-AE900U and a future NuVision NV-X37HDUP LCD. But, I could always use a splitter to get that done. Where will this all end...?

Anyway, I'd recommend that anyone contemplating how many HDMI inputs they need, to err on the high side. It doesn't hurt to have one or two unoccupied for now.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCutcheon /forum/post/0

Toshiba HD-XA2 for HD-DVD, will need one

Samsung BD-P1200 for Blu-ray, will need one more

Oppo DV-981HD for other region SD DVD, SACD, & DVD-A, uno mas

Dish ViP622 DVR, could also use one

HTPC, yet another to send from DVI to

So none of those will work with a component input? Or do they benefit from HDMI?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Although the HD-DVD and Blu-ray players could be hooked up via component, you would lose the multichannel PCM audio over HDMI, meaning to get maximum audio quality the use of 5.1 analog outs would be required. This becomes awkward of using both, since few (none?) of the receivers out there have multiple sets of 5.1 analog inputs. Plus, for some folks, the use of analog outs is not desirable - they like their digital audio decoded as late and as best as possible: in the receiver, not the player.

But yeah, right now there is a dearth of receivers that have more than two HDMI inputs at or under $500 (or even $1000). Which seems remarkably odd to me, but maybe there is some secret cost to using HDMI inputs that prevents mid-tier receivers from having very many. Dunno how, since, as mentioned, 4-1 and 5-1 switchers are available for $100 to $200 or so.

shinksma

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Just as a thought, you could add a HDMI switcher like this one: link . Obvioulsy not free, but not too expensive either. You may end up with an addl. remote control or if you have some addl. programming of your universal remote control.

____

Axel

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Misterjenson, would you ever consider waiting until some of the new HDMI 1.3 units come out? It may not be of interest to you, but it you've waited this long, maybe getting a completely up to date receiver (if there is such a thing) would be worth waiting. Although most people say you won't need 1.3.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys; I decided that the Denon 987 / 2700 had enough HDMI inputs to last me for a while. At $799 from an authorized dealer (J&R) & free shipping, I couldn't pass it up. I decided that I'm doing the following:

- Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR 1080i via component & PCM via optical (I've found that the picture & audio is just as good as HDMI, but there isn't a "delay" / "pause" when changing channels)

- Samsung upscaling DVD / VCR 1080i via HDMI

- XBOX 360 with HD-DVD attachment 1080i via component & PCM via optical

- Denon 987 / 2807 1080i via HDMI to KDS60A2000 1080P HDTV

This setup allows for one more HDMI device (probably a PS3 / Blu-Ray player depending on how the format war goes -- there is NO way I would part with my XBOX 360). This setup is even ready for lossless 7.1 audio.
I'm sure this will last me for years; I can always sell the 987 / 2807 and upgrade when the need arises. I'm sick of waiting, waiting, waiting...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.