AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of switching from cable to a big dish, if anyone has has a big dish with HD reciever, how many HDTV channels are available? I only have 2 HBO and 2 Showtime with cable nothing local in my area.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Socio,

Since you asked about a big dish, I'll try to help. Using the Motorola 4DTV system (BUD) we presently receive HBO East and West, Showtime East and West, ASCN Sports, Discovery Channel HD Theater (in testing), and rumored to be getting up to four more HD channels by the end of the year. This is rumor at this stage, but people "in the know" say deals are being hammered out.

Quality is second to none as it is a first generation capture of what cable and DTV/DN downlink, re-compress, and then send out to their customers. The only higher quality HD material I have viewed is the D-Theater format, which is the finest HD experience available today. Only those here on this forum that have never seen D-Theater in all of its glory, dispute this statement.

It might just come to pass, that the "Bud" will have a great deal more HD content than any other source. :D We have Discovery HD now, and the "word" is that DTV and DN will not carry it in the near future. Everything about the "Bud's" viewing quality is better. There are actually times that SD 480i content viewed through my Sony XBR2 with an outstanding line doubler, WOW's me. It makes SD viewing tolerable. :) Even the SD digital channels are outstanding! DD 5.1 encoded content is appearing in much greater quantity on the digitals and HD channels.

Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.