AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 2 of these ingenious devices which do get the scratches and fingerprints off the CD and DVD discs quite well! I alternate on using machines, manual and motorized. I use only the same *brand* of discs that fit my machines. I don't buy their fluid, because if you read the manual all the way through, you will see that it's distilled or mineral water your using. When purchasing new technology it's best to read the manual, all the way through in your language!

I buy used discs all the time saving a ton of money, any used disc that *skips* the SD takes care of it! The radial marks can be buffed out, but it's not necessary. The laser doesn't *read* the radial designs. I have used it on about 80 DVDs and about 20 CDs to get all the scratches out and buff it till it looks like *new*.

What is your comments:

1. Have you ever used one?

2. Do you own one or use a friends?

3. Manual or motorized?

4. Do you take the time to buff out the disc, with the felt square Provided?

5. Do you know it will take the scratches out of a CD/RW, but it *erases* what you have recorded.

It doesn't say that on the package. I found that out by doing a friends CD/RW, he came back & said now it doesn't work. I said rerecord it see if it just erased what you had on it, besides the scratches you wanted off of the disc. He did rerecord it and he said it works like brand new. Any situations happen like the one above, use this thread as a forum. Did any of you use it on a DVD/RW that you recorded if so what happened?

Any other comments or ideas of how to get the maximum *performance*, out of this truly remarkable device IMHO. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had one. I ditched it on EBay. I take care of my software.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do also but there is so many kids in the world who drop the discs on a hardware floor for instance. How mny discs are opened in cars to fall out of the hands onto small stones or gravel on the cars rug or floormats. There is a reason why this device was invented.

I would like to hear more sensible answers than the first responder said. He may not be married with children, but a lot of you are, and have to deal with there getting their hands on the discs. Taken out of the player but the phone rang or doorbell rang, and the disc was there to grab, need I say more parents? :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, I bought a motorized one not too long ago but have yet to use it. I keep my dvd's in good shape and haven't needed it yet.

(side tracking a bit)

I'm still in search of something like this that I can use on rental dvd's. I've tried the various cleaning pads and simple cleaner tools on the market and they don't seem to work for the standard abused rental dvd. I wish folks that rent stuff would take better care of it. I suppose it's too much to ask for the stores to look at the DVD's before they put them back on the shelf? I was also shocked the last time I rented from one store. The stupid locking things they put on the cases to keep people from opening them are a real problem. I saw the person behind the counter SLAM the dvd case into the removal tool several times to try to un-lock it. Once he did, I told him he could keep the dvd. Yup, the dvd got disloged from the holder by his slaming it in the tool, and was scratched. There's gotta be a better way for them to open the locked dvd's.

No wonder I'm buying more dvd's then renting now. It's nice to know the disk doctor is getting good reviews.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I agree with you Cab, the renters use for frisbie practice, before taking them back.lol Seriously if their are deep gouges in the rental discs they will skip every time, and more and more rentals are going to full frame only!

Cab remember what I said about their fluid used it's distilled or mineral water, I buy either Poland Springs or Vermont Pure for my *drinking* water drunk every day. I also use a bit when ever I use all the water in the white plastic bottle with the pump mister is depleted. All the used discs I buy which is a heck of a lot are played in my Sony mega changer, if they skip I firse a anti-static cloth bought at a food store. If when tryed again they skip it's time to bring out the Doctor, and let this remarkable device do it's work use plenty of water.

The doctor is almost foolproof it leaves a radial design where the scratches *were*, a very interesting note in the manual says the laser beam does not *read* this design. That statement is correct, if you want your disc to look new they provide some felt to buff the radial design out. Instead of a non-playable scratched disc, you now have, to the *laser* a brand new disc!

Your choice to buff it or not, I do because at one point in time I will be selling the lot of the HD-DVD. I own over 700 discs today and in another year I might own a thousand or more. If you waited for HD-DVD to come before you buffed out the radial design it would take you a month of sundays, to do each disc to have ready for the new owner(s) to get the best price. When HD-DVD comes you will want it otherwise, you wouldn't be reading AVS forum posts! With a disc cleaning device you can keep your discs looking like new and skip proof, for future viewings or when you sell them off.

Cab thank you for your reponse, I hope you will all join me in discussion of, how best we can use this remarkable product.

The Skip Doctor comes in 2 models, the hand cranked one and motorized one. I being handicapped use the manual one for some excercise, of both my right and left hands and wrists. I have to use my hands to propel the manual wheelchair, inside of my apartment or visits to restaurants etc. Besides being a useful tool it provides me with a way of getting some exercise in also!:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the motorized one. I have used it on CDs that have been scratched (I used to have one of those CD holders that you have to take the discs out to insert them into. No more), or for used CDs I have bought. All of my games and DVDs are scratch free, but if something happened, I would use it on them as well.

Brory

·
Registered
588 Posts
I need to get one. Every time I rent a disc from Hollyswood or Ballbusters, the DVD's are in horrible shape. The last one I got looked like someone didn't have anymore tissue and wiped their snotty nose on it. Or maybe they got excited and spewed some other bodily material on there, I'm not sure. It could be that some renters use the discs as mini-TV-dinner trays to server oysters, crackers, and cocktail sauce with horse-radish and worcestershire. And, what (or who) is wor-cester-shire anyway? Please, no geography lessons.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paddy if you run into a rental that can be seen the SkipDoctor which uses a radial design buff wheel will take all scratches but not deep gouges. It would be wise to buff out the disc, so when you return it Ball Buster would not see any marks left my the SD.

I buff out my own to have them look new again, the 2.5 inch square 'felt' pad is included, what your trying to buff out is the radial design left my by SD. DVD laser can't read the radial design, but some day we're going to be selling our discs in favor the HD-DVD discs. I buff out every disc bought used and I have trouble free performance every time.

You can find them at circuit city, or do a search on search engine to buy over the net 'key' word SkipDoctor. Best of Luck Paddy nice to chat with you again, thanks for responding to this useful to all thread.:)

O/T Paddy my dad us to use that one, if I ever wanted to know if my nosed was clogged I opened a bottle and sniffed it. Yuck dad poured that all over his steak!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've used a motorized one, and it works like magic on old CDs that I've found under piles of stuff. A quick run through the Doctor, and it plays like new. (I then immediately rip it to mp3 just in case something more catastrophic happens to it.) :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.