AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just Thinking about this , after reading a thread were someone complained about an Oppo player dieing after a few years. [My cousin is still using my 970 after all these years]

I have played, since i had my 83SE all most every day. For at least an hour a day for Music and two+ movies a week. I would think the Oppo lab plays one contuniously.

So how may hours do we think we have on our units? It might be good to report back.

db

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
The complaints about 971 players taking a dump was related to power supply and related issues that really have nothing to do with hours on the player. Certain electronic components tend to die at certain time regardless of the amount of use. Capacitors are especially well known for having a limited life span, particularly cheap ones.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, However, i would think that Hours of use =life or a unit would have some 1 to 1 corialtion to how many hours it played and taking into the equation the enviorment the united is place in {heat/dust}. A capacitor should fail after so many hours not so many years if not used.

And we are talking about Oppo parts here.....

db

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
None of my various OPPO players have failed me, although I no longer have my 981HD (sold to a guy just before he headed overseas - I think the player is in Israel these days) and the 983H isn't hooked up right now. The BDP-83 (both before and after SE upgrade) certainly has gotten a good bit of use, probably more than any of my other players to date. I have no idea how many hundreds of hours it has spent playing.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/19609057

A capacitor should fail after so many hours not so many years if not used.

This is incorrect. There are a number of electrolytic parts that have a finite life regardless of hours of usage. Similarly, circuit boards tend to "age" via heat-cool cycles so again it may not be so much hours of use as it is the number of times it gets used. Some electronics even tend to last longer if left in a power-on state 24/7.

In the case of a DVD/BD player, really only the loader is subject to definite hours of usage constraints.

Looking at disc drives and players as a whole, tray failures of one type or another are the most common cause of their demise. Other loader parts like spindles and OPU would come in second. Failed flash RAM is up there too as a cause of demise, but there again you may be looking at the number of times used as opposed to actual hours of usage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts