AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DVD player, Digital Cable box, 50'' RPTV, 80WPC (5.1) receiver, Cable Modem and maybe a PS2 or Gamecube.

I'm on a very tight budget, I was going to pick up a surge supressor at Lowe's - what sort of Joule rating should I be looking for?

1000 Joules enough? 750? 2000? Remember - cheaper is better ;).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
More is better so get the most you can afford

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Undoubtedly more is better... but what is the cutoff point (in terms of when you are spending superfluously)?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahmoncool
Undoubtedly more is better... but what is the cutoff point (in terms of when you are spending superfluously)?
There really isn't a cutoff point... fact if you can afford it look at the whole house surge suppressors while you are at Lowes. They are even bigger suppressors that you install in your breaker box. That is really the most cost effective (in terms of joules/$ ratio) way to go.

The only superfluous thing would be paying for some big brand name surge suppressor like Monster.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
How many joules?

How big is the lightning bolt? What type of surge? How big is the surge? What are the odds of getting one that big? What level of risk are you willing to accept?

This is an unanswerable question. Just buy as much as you can afford.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Be aware that comparing Joule rating between manufacturers is misleading at best. There is no industry standard for how to compute this rating. Just pay attention to clamping voltage (lower better) and surge current (higher better).

·
Registered
103 Posts
What is considered low and high?

I have a cheapo surge protector in front of me...

Joules rating is 150J.

Max Peak Pulse current: 4500A

Max Surge clamping voltage: 400V

Max Surge pulse voltage: 6000V

Then I have one that looks like it's a little more heavy duty.

Max Surge Dissapation: 1800Joules

Max Spike voltage: 90,000amps

MOV clamping voltage: 330V

The specs are labeled differently so it's difficult for a newbie (like me) to compare.

Both are listed as UL 1449 compliant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.