AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I currently have an Optoma ML500 projector and I am unhappy with the 500 lumen brightness. The image doesn't do well in my living room that gets plenty of ambient and direct light during the day, and is kept lit in the evening hours.

I'm looking for a bulb projector that will give me a brighter picture that can compete with the room lighting. I'm not trying to get a huge image, 70" would be enough. I would like to keep it against the wall about 11 feet back or I would have to ceiling mount it.

I am considering the BenQ SH910 4000 lumen projector. Since I am not projecting a giant image as others are with this projector, would I be satisfied with its only 3000: 1 contrast ratio? Should I go for something like the Viewsonic Pro8300 with 3000 lumens and 4000:1 ratio and save some money?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Lets start out with some basics that may help you understand why what you have looks so bad and why more light is not going to do very much for you without fixing the room.

Contrast ratio is the difference between the darkest part of the image and the brightest part of the image.

When you have a bright room as you describe your dark areas or the image are only as dark as the screen is when the projector is turned off.
So looking at your screen with whatever amount of light you allow in the room before you start the projector is what Black will look like in the projected image..

Adding additional light will increase the brightness of the light colored objects in the image but it does not change the dark colored objects since they are create by the lack of light in that spot on the screen where they appear.

So as you can see a higher contrast projector will mean very little if you do not remove the ambient light so that the dark areas can actually be dark. Having more light from the projector can make mixed or bright images look better but will do nothing to the look of darker images.

If your image is only 70", a 70" flat panel would probably be a better investment in the room you describe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts