AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a 5.1 man for a while now, and now I'm thinking that I want to upgrade to a 6.1 or 7.1 system. How many titles are out there in DD EX and DTS ES, and are they all 6.1 decoded? Can someone give me the skinny on 6.1 and 7.1, DTS NEO, DTS ES, DD EX, etc etc. TOO MANY QUESTIONS

TERRY

·
Registered
109 Posts
Try this link :

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
Keep in mind that a lot of 5.1 tracks matrix well into the center channel, even if they are not officially encoded for DD-EX or DTS-ES.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Josh, I'm suprised to hear you say that. Although it probably has a lot to do with what pre/pro / receiver you are using. With my Pioneer 811S I most often prefer to leave 5.1 at 5.1 and not matrix non EX/ES titles.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I usually matrix the sound to the 6 and 7 speakers. Rarely do I find the sound feild collapsing to the back.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ok, I'm the first to admit when I am wrong. I came home and listened to the end of Drumline (awesome BTW- crank it up!) and while it is only mixed in 5.1 I prefer the matrix.

I know there are certain mixes that don't matrix very well, I just wish I could remeber the one I was using when I was testing.

thanks.

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DRS
Josh, I'm suprised to hear you say that. Although it probably has a lot to do with what pre/pro / receiver you are using. With my Pioneer 811S I most often prefer to leave 5.1 at 5.1 and not matrix non EX/ES titles.
It depends on the equipment and on the disc, I'd say. Some movies do collapse into the center channel (Spirited Away did this to me recently). While others matrix well.

The best surround-sound demo I have come across is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, which is a DD 5.1 track but has extremely aggressive activity zig-zagging through all three surround channels. Too bad it's a dub, but what can you do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.