AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I can't be the only one - I have a bunch of movies that I just refuse to watch on the living room 52" LCD HT, they must be saved for the big screen. Haven't watched Dark Knight, How to Train Your Dragon, etc. - I think I even have a few HD DVDs I haven't watched yet too.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Brad, I'm in the same boat as you. I have a bunch of movies saved up for myself and "movie nights" when I can invite people over. It is partly because my THT is already in the new HT while my PJ is in the old HT. I can't wait to get my PJ in a dark colored room and on a large AT screen, plus sound treatments.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Several months ago our house was burglarized while we were out of town. Last night the wife asked me why I haven't watched any of the movies I bought on black Friday, and I patiently explained that they wouldn't be the same without the surround sound. I'm hoping my new processor comes in before I have time off on the holidays to catch up.
After going almost 3 months with no theater i have no clue what I'd do during some of the awesome year+ builds I've seen on here.

ER

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
YIKES! I can't imagine how I'd deal with being robbed!

Waiting to hang the projector was maddening, but I waited until I was a month or so away from being finished before I hung it. It was hard to imagine what the movie experience would be like for the 3+ years of my build, but in the end, it exceeded my expectations!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I understand this post all to well.

Ever since I purchased my LG PK550 60" Plasma(BTW will be delivered tomorrow), I have been patiently filling my WHS with 1080P movies, which I refuse to watch on my other 42" 720p TV's.

Furthermore, I am redoing my AVR room, so on top of not watching movies, I will have a new TV, which will Not be used for at least 1-2 weeks, except for testing.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Technically, all of the Blu Rays I've purchased are being saved for the home theater since we still don't have a Blu Ray player. My thinking, at the time, was that there will certainly be another generation of players out by the time I get around to finishing, so I should put the purchase off as long as possible. I think I just might have to bite the bullet and buy an everyday player for watching movies on the plasma and see what Oppo has available at the time the theater is done.

Either way, there are definitely some that I'll be saving for the big screen (Terminator Salvation, Iron Man, Star Trek). Some are movies I already have on DVD but purchased again on Blu Ray specifically for the big screen (Braveheart, Gladiator, etc)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGS /forum/post/19621138

So what movies are people waiting to watch in their theater? I'm saving for Inception and Avatar, neither of which I have seen. My deadline is the end of December... 2010....

We couldn't wait to watch Avatar, but you're close enough to the finish line. Hold out as long as you can.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:

So what movies are people waiting to watch in their theater? I'm saving for Inception and Avatar, neither of which I have seen. My deadline is the end of December... 2010....

I definitely saved myself from watching any movies until my HT was finished. I actually started waiting while I was still in the planning stages. The first movie in the theater was Avatar. The Dark Knight, Transformers, various Pixar animated movies ("Bolt" was spectacular), The Fifth Element, and others were soon to follow.

It was well worth the wait. I'm so glad I got the chance to experience all of those movies in my HT for their first viewing.

"Inception" is on tap for this week or next, whenever I can rent the Blu-ray.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:

Sorry, completely got sidetracked, I'm waiting for Avatar, Stargate, Master and Commander, Saving Private Ryan, Batman Begins, The Dark Night, Heat, and 3 seasons of Mad Men.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

Quote:
I think the Loganator has some VHS movies he has been saving since he started his build.

I think I have a still-wrapped Independence Day. Everything else has at least been unwrapped.

I think the better question is how many movies have you not seen the end of no matter how many times you've started them because you've fallen asleep at the same point? Huh, Big?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19621023

I think the Loganator has some VHS movies he has been saving since he started his build.

I thought those were Betamax tapes he was saving.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I haven't watched a movie at home since I started, and actually haven't watched one since it's been operational either lol.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

Quote:
I thought those were Betamax tapes he was saving.

I'm pretty sure I still have a Betamax sitting around somewhere. When I bought it, I also bought a "lifetime" head replacement warranty. Hmmm....maybe I should dig it up and see if I can get service. Maybe by the time they find parts my build will be done. I KNEW I ran a composite cable for SOMEthing.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
The movie that I dangled like a carrot in front of me for completing my home theater was BladeRunner, on HD DVD. I always envisioned it as the theater opening movie. Funny thing is my theater has been finished since last spring and I still haven't watched the whole movie! It's almost like I have too much reverence for the experience and haven't found just the "right" time to watch it. (I really want to watch it with a group of people, but it hasn't happened yet).

But in general I saved almost my entire movie collection. As soon as HD DVD came out I was buying them. I was even buying Blu Rays years before I got a player, with the vision of watching them on my Big Screen. So I'm really behind the times. The only good thing about that is I now have a huge library of HD DVDs and Blu Rays to watch, so whereas people were starting to moan at some points about the slow rate of movies-worth-watching being released in Hi-Def, I have so many of them left to watch that I'll be happy doing so, as the rate of newer movies pile up I haven't seen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts