AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if, in the not too distant future, all movies would go straight to video. I have an FP HT setup at home. For me, in the past three years, I have only seen one movie in a real theater (Minority Report), and that was only because I can't wait. I plan on going to the real theater again in 2005, when Star Wars III is released.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not many...

This year just Attack of the Clones, Goldmember, and Die another Day.

But I probaqbly will see the new Star Trek and The Two Towers in the theater soon (the later of which because i have a free ticket from the TFTR set :) ).

And I don't even have my projector yet...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The Patriot, Attack of the Clones......and those two only because extended family was in town and I was sorta forced.

Don't miss it at all.

I'm afraid this post is in the wrong forum though...

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Maybe two, Gone in 60 seconds (Yeah, I know ;) ), and SW AOTC.

GI60S had way too loud sound, and SW AOTC had an offset projector (horisontal keystone error) and lots of screen-imperfections. Very big, though. :)

Tor Arne

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I've seen one since completing my HT....Die another Day, last night. And I must say, I don't miss going.....Everyone complains about "Blacks" and perceived contrast on LCD projectors....The theater was much worse than my lowly 400:1CR 75u. During projection of some of the previews, they hadn't adjusted the zoom/curtains, so there were the "Black bars" top and bottom...Much greyer than my bars on my HCCV screen when watching 2:35 sources. Shadow detail was poor, and the movie wasn't in focus which was distracting also.

I'll take my setup over the local cineplex anyday.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know what you guys mean. I have only been to the movies a handful of times, and the whole time through the movie, I keep looking at the image thinking "ho hum" and as for the sound, sorry, but give me my HT any day.

Sen

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's funny because I used to see about 40 movies a year in the theater or more. Now that I have had my home theater set up for the last year, I went to the movies maybe about 5 times. 2X for Fellowship of the Ring, 1X My Big Fat Greek Wedding, 1X Minority Report, and last week I went to see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I only went to see Harry Potter in the theater instead of waiting for DVD to check out the theater quality to make sure that the theater will be good enough for viewing The Two Towers. I had to sit through 20 MINUTES of bad previews before the movie got started, it made me soooooo mad!!! :mad:

I love to cook and I have friends over my house for dinner and then afterwards we retire to the basement to enjoy a movie. For refreshments I have single-malt scotch, martinis, liquors, fine wine, rootbeer, orange cream soda, fresh OJ, coffee, teas, etc. For snacks I have popcorn, cashews, smoked almonds, fine cheeses, a grocery bag full of leftover halloween candy of various types, tubs of licorice (red & black). Now all of my good friends are just as spoiled as I am. We stand in line at the regular movie theater and they whine because they can't have a glass of single-malt and honey roasted cashews in the theater.

In the last year when I have went to the regular movie theater twice I have had some kid behind me talking and kicking my chair. I agree that I now sit in the theater and am not as impressed with the quality of the movie. I see all of the scratches in the print, I can't guarantee I'm in the "sweet spot". My friends who haven't been to my house yet to see a movie can't believe that I haven't caught some of the new movies, but I wait until DVD and then I get the added bonus of the special features.

I have all of the good people here on AVSforum to thank for their contributions to this message board where I have learned so much. I am forever grateful to you all.

Regards,

Traci (girlgeek)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by girlgeek

I love to cook and I have friends over my house for dinner and then afterwards we retire to the basement to enjoy a movie. For refreshments I have single-malt scotch, martinis, liquors, fine wine, rootbeer, orange cream soda, fresh OJ, coffee, teas, etc. For snacks I have popcorn, cashews, smoked almonds, fine cheeses, a grocery bag full of leftover halloween candy of various types, tubs of licorice (red & black). Now all of my good friends are just as spoiled as I am. We stand in line at the regular movie theater and they whine because they can't have a glass of single-malt and honey roasted cashews in the theater.
DAMN.

Let's be friends :D

Mike U.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I went to maybe 12 or 15 over the last 3 years. Each and every one was either a technical disappointment or the movie itself just stunk. Either the sound was too loud, or just of poor quality. There was one this past summer that went out of focus about 10 minutes in and stayed there,... it was so bad you couldn't make out the features on the faces of the actors,... it was laughable and the kids in the theater began to throw stuff,... it was a small family run operation and the owner stood by the door and gave refunds. And what is this new sport of some kind to talk all during the show... and not just the kids but their parents too... whole life stories. There was maybe a couple now that I think of it that in spite of the short comings that I enjoyed. LOR for one. But I too like my cashews and beer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been to the theaters during the last 3 years less than 10 times. This year I've seen only 3 movies; Windtalkers, Minority Report and Spiderman.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fast and the Furious (friends made me go), Spiderman, Transporter and Die another Day. Only two of those were films I wanted to see in the theater and that was because I was not sure if things had improved. I think it is more the people around me more than the quality.

Most of my frineds that know me expect me not to go to the shows with them. They all say I will wait for the DVD, which is true. My boss always used to tell me to go to the theaters to see the big screen. I finally told her how big my screen was and now she is coming over on Friday to watch LOTR. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
None. Zip, zero, nada. Can't stand the poor quality theater environment replete with talkers, smackers, walk-abouts, and their noisey spawn. All of this, at $8.00 per ticket, for a sub-par soundsystem and picture quality that is hardly state-of-the-art. And I can't bring my own popcorn to boot.

At home, I can sometimes have talkers, smackers, walk-abouts, and my own noisey spawn to contend with, but at least the picture and sound are better, the view is ideal, and it's MY POPCORN. :D

Dave

·
Registered
105 Posts
Exactly 3 in 3 years:

2000: Gladiator

2001: LOTR/FOTR

2002: SWII ATOC

The only reason I saw ATOC in the theater was to check out the DLP projection. I expect to see LOTR/TTT next week, but only because my wife insists.

In my home theater, I watch at least one movie a week.

By the way, girlgeek, honey roasted cashews and single-malt sounds like a good combo. Have you ever tried single-malt and warm toll-house cookies? The single-malt causes the chocolate to explode into your head.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Let's see in 3 years....... 2 movies.

1) Panic Room (had to it was a work group outing)

2) Minority Report cause it looked cool!

That's it and I just got my theatre going good a few months ago. Theatre experience is not worth it, when you can buy the dvd for the price of 2 tickets!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Zero. I refuse to go to the cinema anymore as the sound is so loud. I eventually ended up wearing my Peltors before I stopped going altogether. Further, the picture was always out of focus and that just destroys the event for me.

Peter

·
Registered
362 Posts
Less than three but my DVD at home may much more than 300

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rolast
By the way, girlgeek, honey roasted cashews and single-malt sounds like a good combo. Have you ever tried single-malt and warm toll-house cookies? The single-malt causes the chocolate to explode into your head.
Why as a matter of fact about two weeks ago my buddies came over for dinner. I made choc. chip cookies from scratch for dessert and we watched Monster's Inc. There were indeed good comments about the single malt/cookie combo, but I'm a purist. Warm chocolate chip cookies are the best with one thing...ice cold milk (dunking is a must). Buy the organic milk it tastes much better than the standard supermarket swill.

Quote:
Originally posted by mulveling
DAMN.

Let's be friends :D

Mike U.
Anytime Mike. I'm here in the beautiful albeit soggy Pacific Northwest. Give me a shout if you're near Seattle.

--Traci (girlgeek)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Approximatively three movies a month. Even the best home theater will never be the same as a real movie theater, i think.

But i'm anxious after that to see those movies again in my sweet home :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.