AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I'd love to hear what your ideas of the two types of "good" rooms are.
I tend to think stereo listening, for me anyway, favors a bit more of a live room. Something that creates some ambiance of its own. Something that doesn't sound sterile. I think this is also due to how stereo content is mixed. However, it is what it is!

However, for MCH, the mix itself (hopefully) contains precision information routed to the appropriate speaker (or, object) to convey the intended soundscape. One wants every point-source to remain that way like tons of little headphones surrounding you. As if you could have 360 degrees of tiny full-range speakers and select any point in space to make it sound like something was coming from there. Of course, I'd need to make sure that sound didn't get all fubar'd by the room. So, I want it dead as possible -- I want to hear nothing but each speakers' direct sound and I want it coming only from the direction intended by the MCH mix! That said, I know the ears have limitations w.r.t. localization (e.g., I believe we are better horizontally than vertically).

Of course, a dead MCH room sounds closer to headphones to me. Some may like that -- I don't. So, enter upmixers and other technology to enliven the room.

Again, I'm willing to be wrong. However, personally, I like live rooms for music and deader rooms for movies. I've always found 2ch music sterile in dead rooms -- I may as well listen on cans. I'm all up for a debate about why I'm dumb and I shouldn't feel this way.

edit: to remove duplicate info

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
I feel sorry for the people who think one type of room can cover 2ch music and another for multi channel. Clearly different genres need different rooms. 1960's psychedelic rock rooms need more lava lamps, color light projectors, and go-go dancers, for example:

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
C3PO watches over my Death Star hometheater I use exclusively for space movies ;) [jk]

Psst:
It's supposed to be a secret who own's this theater so I'm not allowed to say. . . but I must say it reminds me of one of Paul Allen's private yachts.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
once you see(and hear) 2ch and HT done to a really high level it's easier to understand.
no where did I assume anything, merely stated my opinion and for the record young man,
Your comment above made the implicit assumption that I have never 'heard 2ch and HT done to a high level'. I have, many times, and my opinion still stands, based upon long experience, that it is possible to have an integrated 2ch/HT system that does not compromise the 2ch. It is audiophile mythology that you can't.

this IS the two channel section of the forum.
So what? My comment was and is still applicable here as it at least partly involved 2ch.

Reactions: m. zillch

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
C3PO watches over my Death Star hometheater I use exclusively for space movies ;) [jk]

Psst: It's supposed to be a secret who own's this theater so I'm not allowed to say. . . but I must say it reminds me of one of Paul Allen's private yachts.

for those that can afford the top .0001%...they can figure it out. any multi channel music listener probably has it figured out. I have had 7.1 decades ago when it 1st arrived...was ok. have a dozen or so sacd for 5.1 now and its ok. but I really enjoy 2.0 or 2.1. if your system is dialed in thats all you need. in my case, the front speakers need to be 25-40% out into room. maybe thats why so many like multi channel. pulling speakers out into room is hard for most.

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
in my case, the front speakers need to be 25-40% out into room. maybe thats why so many like multi channel. pulling speakers out into room is hard for most.
Changing the position of speakers changes their sound, true, but the majority of the music we buy was mixed and mastered with their monitor speakers against the wall so if the goal is to hear it as closely as possible to how the people who made it heard it, that's usually against the wall.

Fremer's mega buck system has his speakers against the wall too.

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
Fremer even comments in his video that the notion pulling speakers into the room is critical for creating depth is a myth.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Changing the position of speakers changes their sound, true, but the majority of the music we buy was mixed and mastered with their monitor speakers against the wall so if the goal is to hear it as closely as possible to how the people who made it heard it, that's usually against the wall.

Fremer's mega buck system has his speakers against the wall too.

I gave up on trying to guess how it was meant to sound long time ago. after hundreds of live shows and dozens of gear, I just try to have systems that sound good to me. its kinda easy nowadays, most stuff sounds good enough. holographic 3d sound with huge depth and 360 sound from 2 speakers gets a bit more complicated tho.

·
Registered
15,349 Posts

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
Specifically, when shopping for the amplifier to drive the left channel of a 2ch system what attributes would differ from what one should look for in the amplifier one would use for the front left speaker of a HT system, hence the need to buy two amps not one?
Unfortunately, while I typically agree with you, in this one, I'm unsure I can. But, I don't think it has anything to do with the electronics. I do think it has to do with the room and, to some degree, speakers. The latter, however, mostly in selecting appropriate directivity, all the way to full-omni like an MBL. For stereo, I suppose you'd select. . .
If there were such a design differentiation between HT and 2ch. speakers as you imply, wouldn't they sell products optimized for each category? Clearly there are speakers marketed as "for the center channel", 'for the .1 (subwoofer) channel", and "for the surround channels", but can you cite an example of a speaker marketed as being optimized for front L/R in a HT, not 2ch., as you claim there's a distinct need for? I am unaware of any. [premade packages of say "5.1 HT complete systems" don't count. I'm speaking of a speaker sold either individually or as a pair claiming to be "optimized for front L/R HT use as opposed to 2ch."[paraphrased] that the user would add to a center speaker to make the front sound stage of a HT.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If there were such a design differentiation between HT and 2ch. speakers as you imply, wouldn't they sell products optimized for each category? Clearly there are speakers marketed as "for the center channel", 'for the .1 (subwoofer) channel", and "for the surround channels", but can you cite an example of a speaker marketed as being optimized for front L/R in a HT, not 2ch., as you claim there's a distinct need for? I am unaware of any. [premade packages of say "5.1 HT complete systems" don't count. I'm speaking of a speaker sold either individually or as a pair claiming to be "optimized for HT as opposed to 2ch." [paraphrased, not a real quote]
How about definitives BP line?...clearly they are marketed for HT but can be used as 2 channel...because of there nature they are made to beam sound forward,back and envelope you...where as other speakers are more forward focused for better music reproduction.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
How about definitives BP line?...clearly they are marketed for HT
Have a link to a specific model where they describe this "HT over 2ch optimization"?

·
Registered
15,349 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That says they work well for HT; it doesn't say they would be a poor choice for 2ch. nor what attributes they have designed for which would "compromise" optimal 2ch. playback.
Once you listen to a pair you will understand where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
Once you listen to a pair you will understand where I'm coming from.
This "You'd know if you listen to them" argument doesn't work in a science based forum, if you ask me.:p

It's pretty much the same as "Because I say so." Doesn't fly.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This "You'd know if you listen to them" argument doesn't work in a science based forum.:p

It's pretty much the same as "Because I say so." Doesn't fly.
You can't solve every audio related question with only science...sometimes you just need too listen.

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
Gosh, I guess you can hear things which elude me. . . . :rolleyes: Joke.

Jedi mind tricks don't work here.

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
Also how on earth would listening to this speaker prove the marketer believes these speakers have been optimized for HT over optimal 2ch.?

221 - 240 of 498 Posts