AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Very nice set you have..

That sayd you can get very good music results both stereo surrounded and Sacd with extra stereo Poweramp, and a good burayplayer.

I have a very good experience with my setup, was good with Denon dbp2010 also. But Sacd with Sony and Spotify and music files is much better..

The setup I run today is Xtz Ap100 power amp stereo, Xtz 99.26 stereo, Cerwin Vega 5c senter, Jamo presence, Proson Event 41 surround.
Xtz 10,17 ice subwoofer.

The surround is managed by old Yamaha rxv 1900

Bluray is Sony UHP-H1 premium audio video player.

I like klassikal music on CD in stereo pure direct, but all on Spotify, files and so on goes Stereo 5.1 with presence..

Rock or bassheay music definitely likes the Stereo 5.1 function...

Sent fra min HUAWEI SCL-L21 via Tapatalk
I agree that you can get good music through surround stereo. The statement I made was more in reference to 2 channel amps with two good speakers and a good source player being able to outperform a Home theater set-up running multiple speakers from an AVR. Dollar for dollar you will be able to get better hifi sound with a 2 channel system over a home theater system. But this is not to say that you can’t get good sounding music in a multichannel set-up.

I myself play music through multichannel stereo on my Home theater system from time to time. I have an open concept family room and kitchen and my system is a 5.1 system with the surrounds as in ceiling B&W speakers. The ceiling speakers are slightly behind my main sofa (the selfish seat) and my breakfast table (kitchen table) is about 2 feet from that. So when I am sitting at the table or in the kitchen and playing something off of Spotify or streaming some jazz off of Tunein radio I will play it though multichannel stereo because the ceiling speakers are relatively close to the table and because they actually sound way better than the little KEF satellites that I have in the front. However, when I am in the mood for some serious music listening I listen to my 2 channel system which is in a spear bedroom. Here I usually will play a CD or vinyl LP. And believe me, I much more enjoy listening this way than when I am streaming something off of Spotify on my home theater system. Mind you, I am in the process of replacing my three front speakers with something more suitable for music and when I do I will most likely play music only through 2 channel there because my left and right speakers will be better than the surround ceiling.

I see from what you’ve listed your using 2 channel stereo amps for your front speakers. The challenge when listening to multichannel is that all the speakers should be the same so that tone and timbre match aren’t different on different speakers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I forgot to add that my Yamaha BluRay player has what is called a "CD" mode which slows the rotation of the platter to that of a CD and by passes all DSP with the exception of DAC's used to output and analog stream. It also has a Pure Direct mode which shuts down the display as well.
Yes those type of bluray players are good all around multitask players. Cambridge audio, Marantz, Arcam are others and they usually have two HDMI out connections, one for video and one for audio as well as analog outputs for audio. Those usually have goods DAC's as well so CD's will sound good with them. Which is way they are much more expensive than your standard bluray player. Your typical bluray player from best buy under $100 with only and HDMI out connection will not sound good playing music.

·
Banned
739 Posts
I agree that you can get good music through surround stereo. The statement I made was more in reference to 2 channel amps with two good speakers and a good source player being able to outperform a Home theater set-up running multiple speakers from an AVR. Dollar for dollar you will be able to get better hifi sound with a 2 channel system over a home theater system. But this is not to say that you can’t get good sounding music in a multichannel set-up.

I myself play music through multichannel stereo on my Home theater system from time to time. I have an open concept family room and kitchen and my system is a 5.1 system with the surrounds as in ceiling B&W speakers. The ceiling speakers are slightly behind my main sofa (the selfish seat) and my breakfast table (kitchen table) is about 2 feet from that. So when I am sitting at the table or in the kitchen and playing something off of Spotify or streaming some jazz off of Tunein radio I will play it though multichannel stereo because the ceiling speakers are relatively close to the table and because they actually sound way better than the little KEF satellites that I have in the front. However, when I am in the mood for some serious music listening I listen to my 2 channel system which is in a spear bedroom. Here I usually will play a CD or vinyl LP. And believe me, I much more enjoy listening this way than when I am streaming something off of Spotify on my home theater system. Mind you, I am in the process of replacing my three front speakers with something more suitable for music and when I do I will most likely play music only through 2 channel there because my left and right speakers will be better than the surround ceiling.

I see from what you’ve listed your using 2 channel stereo amps for your front speakers. The challenge when listening to multichannel is that all the speakers should be the same so that tone and timbre match aren’t different on different speakers.
The different speaker and amp theory has never been important in my experience. Placement and room on the other hand have been important..

Sent fra min HUAWEI SCL-L21 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have 5 systems. small 2.0 in living room (waf) 11.4 dedicated ht that is used for stereo on a regular basis, 2.0 in game room, 5.1 in bar area, 2.0 stereo console.
Well G_Bartman you may the one to ask, but any others with experience welcome to chime in.

Right now we have two 2-channel systems, both with good electronics and speakers.
System 1 - music only, floor standing, full range speakers.
System 2 - media room (aka small home theater) - 2.2 - Two good monitors and 2 good subs.
Overall happy with the sound from each.

However, and this is occasional, some streaming movies have poor dialog in 2 channel - we find ourselves turning up the volume to get better dialog. Hence I have been considering a move to 3.2 or 5.2 - mainly to get better dialog (i.e. center channel).
So, I would add a matched center channel to the L/R speakers and and another amp or AVR. I am also contemplating the Oppo 205 running straight into a multichannel amp.

So:
1) Center channel effect on dialog vs 2 channel?

2) Anyone run an Oppo 105 direct into an amplifier system?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Well G_Bartman you may the one to ask, but any others with experience welcome to chime in.

Right now we have two 2-channel systems, both with good electronics and speakers.
System 2 - media room (aka small home theater) - 2.2 - Two good monitors and 2 good subs.

However, and this is occasional, some streaming movies have poor dialog in 2 channel - we find ourselves turning up the volume to get better dialog. Hence I have been considering a move to 3.2 or 5.2 - mainly to get better dialog (i.e. center channel).
So, I would add a matched center channel to the L/R speakers and and another amp or AVR. I am also contemplating the Oppo 205 running straight into a multichannel amp.

So:

I have a 105 but have never used it as a pre amp. Not all cc speakers are good at conveying dialog. I have an Aerial Acoustics cc3 (no longer made) and it's quite capable. Some I have had previously were okay at best.

·
Registered
719 Posts

So:

I don't have the 105 but I have run the 93 outputs directly to my power amps. It actually does a very good job. So the 105 should be fine and do the same if not better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've always felt the same about this: listen in the amount of channels as your source. I have 5 speakers and a sub, however when I listen to music (vinyl or digital) I only listen in direct stereo (center, sub, and surrounds disabled). When I watch a TV show or stream that only has a 2 channel track, I listen in stereo. When I watch anything with a surround sound track, I listen in 5.1.

I never understand the argument that multi channel is inferior. If you are speaking about a stereo source, then yes listening in multichannel would be. But for those who only use a stereo configuration for HT -- by taking a source that was mixed in multichannel and having an AVR or preamp process the audio down to 2 channel, you would arguably be getting an inferior experience.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've always felt the same about this: listen in the amount of channels as your source. I have 5 speakers and a sub, however when I listen to music (vinyl or digital) I only listen in direct stereo (center, sub, and surrounds disabled). When I watch a TV show or stream that only has a 2 channel track, I listen in stereo. When I watch anything with a surround sound track, I listen in 5.1.

I never understand the argument that multi channel is inferior. If you are speaking about a stereo source, then yes listening in multichannel would be. But for those who only use a stereo configuration for HT -- by taking a source that was mixed in multichannel and having an AVR or preamp process the audio down to 2 channel, you would arguably be getting an inferior experience.

I can only speak for myself on this. I use a 2-channel set up for music and for movies. The reason for music is simple. Music is almost entirely recorded in 2-channel with some exceptions. I listen to music probably 85% of the time, another 5% watching two TV shows per week and the remaining 10% watching movies which are usually on weekends.

As for why I use a 2.0 system for movies is simple...simplicity. As little as I watch TV or movies, why invest in 3, 5 or more speakers or even Atmos. It is wasted on me. Also, when the AVR, in my case a Yamaha, is set to 2-channel mode, the receiver down samples it for 2-channel. I still miss nothing other than signals coming from multiple speakers around the room. All the sounds and music are still there but firing out of two speakers. Another issue I have is a strange shaped space. It would raise hell trying to adjust for it using room equalization. Another reason is female approval of multiple speakers. It won't happen either.

I guess the bottom line is that everyone's needs, means and enjoyment factor are all different. There really isn't a single best way to listen to any audio source given these constraints. I have been the 5.1 path, didn't like it, and returned to my favored 2.0 setup.

Reactions: Russ69

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I can only speak for myself on this. I use a 2-channel set up for music and for movies. The reason for music is simple. Music is almost entirely recorded in 2-channel with some exceptions. I listen to music probably 85% of the time, another 5% watching two TV shows per week and the remaining 10% watching movies which are usually on weekends.

As for why I use a 2.0 system for movies is simple...simplicity. As little as I watch TV or movies, why invest in 3, 5 or more speakers or even Atmos. It is wasted on me. Also, when the AVR, in my case a Yamaha, is set to 2-channel mode, the receiver down samples it for 2-channel. I still miss nothing other than signals coming from multiple speakers around the room. All the sounds and music are still there but firing out of two speakers. Another issue I have is a strange shaped space. It would raise hell trying to adjust for it using room equalization. Another reason is female approval of multiple speakers. It won't happen either.

I guess the bottom line is that everyone's needs, means and enjoyment factor are all different. There really isn't a single best way to listen to any audio source given these constraints. I have been the 5.1 path, didn't like it, and returned to my favored 2.0 setup.
I wish there was a way to tag a post. You would receive a "like" from me.

Reactions: Russ69

·
Registered
976 Posts
Getting rid of all multichannel home theater stuff and sticking with stereo. Do not watch that many movies and the ones i do watch are for the story..not sound effects..., and i live in a small apartment and don't want to disturb the neighbors.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

A couple of caveats to a two channel system doing all, one being whether there are others in the room, who aren't sitting in the sweet spot. If they are off to the side, they may being hearing sound coming out of one speaker only and it could become distracting as it is not anchored to the tv. As far as not missing anything, some tv shows these days are spending quite a bit more time and effort on the audio mix and have great surround and decent bass for ones subwoofer, for added fun. While you may not notice its absence in your 2 channel set-up, from a practical perspective, it is there and it could offer some added aural enjoyment if it were present.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
A couple of caveats to a two channel system doing all, one being whether there are others in the room, who aren't sitting in the sweet spot. If they are off to the side, they may being hearing sound coming out of one speaker only and it could become distracting as it is not anchored to the tv. As far as not missing anything, some tv shows these days are spending quite a bit more time and effort on the audio mix and have great surround and decent bass for ones subwoofer, for added fun. While you may not notice its absence in your 2 channel set-up, from a practical perspective, it is there and it could offer some added aural enjoyment if it were present.

"who aren't sitting in the sweet spot. If they are off to the side"

I can still do this provided they aren't sitting directly in front of one side, within two of three feet of the right or left speaker. If they are back a ways, even in the extreme rear corners of the room at 45 or 50 degrees off axis, we're good to go. True, the sound stage shifts a bit, not unlike a live performance and you have seats at the side of the stage or extreme right or left. I also have a big, maybe unnaturally big, soundstage listening from the back side, from behind the turntable listening to the speakers backwards.

At one time I had a house where the living room flowed into the dining room and the flat panel dipoles were in between. I had soundstage on either side, front or back, of the speakers.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Is 2 channel dead or dying? I prefer 2 channel listening to music, but tried Auro 3D tonight and it blows away any surround channel modes I have tried in the past. I will still listen to somethings in 2 channel but Auro 3D is awesome and really brings the music to life. No ill affects like other surround modes.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
I hardly listen to music, but I am die hard 2.1 for watching TV. Surround sound just doesn't do it for me, I had 5.1 and took it down because it just didn't give me the dimension of the 2.1. My full effort is to make the 2.1 better for watching tv.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
I've only owned multi-channel systems for decades because they successfully can play 2.0 channel content (by far my main music source) without compromise, that is only 2 speakers are active and the rest sleep, whereas a 2ch system can not deliver multichannel content into my room without compromise.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i have a hifi and HT, two setups. i listen to 5.1 sacd's using the HT setup. 2 ch music (no sub) with the hifi setup.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
Louis Armstrong, The King of Jazz, had a mono room and a stereo room. He used AR speakers in both. Here are the stereo room electronics:

https://i.redd.it/elnl6khnn5i41.jpg

I owned that Marantz 10B tuner in the bottom right, a classic with a very cool builtin oscilloscope to show signal strength, channel separation, and Lissajous X-Y patterns so it acted as a goniometer.

Reactions: shivaji

·
Registered
772 Posts
I switched from having multichannel for almost 20 years to 2.1 because I wanted more flexibility in the speakers I chose and have more budget for fewer components, your money goes a lot farther when you don't have to worry about buying a center. I took a chance on an affordable 2 channel AVR that I've really enjoyed and I'm perfectly happy with it for music, TV/movies and gaming. I was able to build a whole system I really like for less than the price of AVRs I was evaluating when I started upgrading.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Before, when I had my 5.1, I use the same front L and R speakers and 2 channel power amp as 2.1. First started out too lazy to turn on all the amps, then realize 2.1 sounds better, so I just watching tv with 2.1. When I move to another house, I just never set up the 5.1 anymore. Been 2.1 since 2003 and never look back. 2.1 just give me the dimension and sound stage the 5.1 didn't give, sure I can hear sound flying with the 5.1, but it's so artificial. I just don't enjoy it. I particularly hate the voice from the center channel, it just didn't do it for me.

Reactions: josh6113
161 - 180 of 544 Posts