AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on upgrading both of my Mits sets and purchasing the Mits D-VHS recorder. Anyone else planning on doing the same when both are available in early 2002?

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Highly unlikely.

------------------

Dan

Mitsubishi 55805

Dish 6000

DirecTv/Mitsu SR-HD400

Evu 6000

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Right. I seriously doubt I'll upgrade. Not if it's the better part of a grand for the module, and near another grand for the recorder. Not strictly on account of the money though. It's just that with between my HD sat receiver's and my OTA HD capabilities I have alot of timeshifting ability as it is. And the fact that I've never been an archiving kind of guy regardless of the broadcast standard. Even before HD, I hadnt really recorded anything with a VCR in years.

------------------

Dan

Mitsubishi 55805

Dish 6000

DirecTv/Mitsu SR-HD400

Evu 6000

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan,

I see your point. One of the main reasons I want to upgrade is the upcoming release of hd movies as well as keeping my set up to speed.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I believe the JVC digital recorder will have component outs, so why bother with the promise module?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am sure I'll eventually upgrade my 46807, but when... I am not sure. I doubt I will be one of the guinea pigs and get the first made, but if it can allow me to record OTA and DirecTV HD - it will be sooner rather then later that I break down and make the purchase.

--Andrew

·
Registered
760 Posts
I was originally planning to upgrade my WS-55805 with the promise module. Now I am rethinking my previous decision. I see the prices of fully integrated sets coming down in a year to below what I paid for my upgradable set. The new sets will have Net Command which I have been told will not be in the promise module.

I think I will wait and see what happens in the 2003 sets due out next summer.

If I decide to buy a new fully integrated set, I will most likely donate my current set to a charity which can haul it away. It seems to be a problem when getting a new big screen set how to get rid of the old set.

------------------

Mike aka Hot

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot:
I will most likely donate my current set to a charity which can haul it away
donate it? donate an HDTV? donate? donate? donate? donate? donate? donate? donate? donate an HDTV? donate? donate? donate? donate an HDTV? donate? donate? donate? donate? donate?

give it to a friend and help him set it up with HD programming or sell it to someone who is interested in HD. if you donate it, the people will just think its an odd shaped TV that is worthless.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
Mitsubishi SR-HD400 HDTV Decoders>
DirecTV HDs>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I seem to have missed something...

What is this 'promise module'?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot:
I was originally planning to upgrade my WS-55805 with the promise module.

------------------

E. Donald Argo, MCSE+I

HDTV: RCA DTC-100 / Mitsubishi WS-55805

TIVO1: Sony SAT-T60 @ 88hrs [2.5]

TIVO2: Sony SAT-T60 @ 35hrs [2.5]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by opus74:
I seem to have missed something...

What is this 'promise module'?
Here is the Mitsubishi Press Release. I have posted it here rather then linking to it because their formatting is horrible. If you want to see it on their website though, the link is http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/promise.htm

Mitsubishi Announces Industry First Promise to Upgrade Digital TVc>

IRVINE, Calif., May 4, 2000 - Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Inc (MDEA) today announced an industry first with its digital television upgradeability promise.

In its product line brochure, the company details its promise to provide consumers with an upgrade module installed by an authorized Mitsubishi servicer at a reasonable cost. This upgrade module will enable any Mitsubishi HD-Upgradeable television (a television which can be upgraded to full HDTV performance with the addition of a separate digital receiver) to receive over-the-air digital television broadcasts, including high-definition, as well as unscrambled cable TV. In addition, this module will also have an IEEE 1394 interface, copy protection, and Home Audio Video Interoperability (HAVi) software capability for control of IEEE 1394 digital devices. Final cost to the consumer has not been determined, but is expected to be under $1,000.00.

"In 1998 we launched the industry's fullest line of HD-Upgradeable televisions. In purchasing our televisions, consumers placed their faith in us. We will stand by our customers and honor their commitment to us and our technology during this transition to digital television " noted Max Wasinger, vice-president, sales and marketing. "Products aggressively marketed as upgradeable better truly be upgradeable," he added.

Robert A. Perry, director of marketing, commented, "Our strategy of HD-Upgradeable is driven by the changes we anticipate in the marketplace. We believe consumers want to purchase the upgradeable television today and the digital receiver in the future, as broadcasting becomes more widely available. Future receivers may offer additional digital features while their prices drop. Even this year, some manufacturers are introducing integrated products that claim to have all the features consumer needs, but neglect to include such key digital features as HAVi. And many of these less-than future-ready integrated products are priced much higher than a Mitsubishi HD-Upgradeable TV, even with the addition of our upgrade module", he added.

In other news, the Company announced its DLP Technology' based projection television strategy, and its Home Audio Video Interoperability (HAVi) strategy.

Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. (MDEA) manufactures and markets a comprehensive line of premium quality, NTSC and high-definition upgradeable projection televisions, satellite receivers, VCRs and audio products for complete home theater systems. Recognized as the world leader and innovator of big screen and digital television receiver technology, MDEA develops audio and video products that lead the industry in performance, ease-of-use and system integration.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I will, but not at first. I think there is too much uncertainty about which of the 2 formats (DVI-IEEE394) will prevail and/or be more useful to me. I hope Mits includes both in the module.

Recording HD is nice, but I don't care for tapes, too bulky and hate the inability to go to a specific chapter, I will however upgrade my DVD when DVD-HD comes out (if ever and if I can connect it to my HDTV set).

I much prefer to buy DVDs.

But I commend Mitsubishi for at leat offering an upgrade, I don't think I would had purchase a WS-65907 without it.

Regards,

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi All,

Yes my Wt-46807 will receive the promise in the Spring of 2002. I will also at that time buy the Mits Digital VCR.

The DVI vs Firewire. My bet is on Firewire, it will win hands down.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.