AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
compared to hdmi on my vga and making some adjustments lately, hdmi has been better for me. but i really like the smoothness of vga. i wish there were more color options available for vga on my samsung a650 because i would definitely use it...

anyone have some nice pics of their 360 through vga?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what about going into my service menu?(not sure how to do it anyway but i'm curious if you could adjust things for vga in there)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
VGA to Planar projector...Expanded settings on 360...And am actually using it as my main entertainment hub. (Movies, Streaming music/pics/video) No Issues.

Have been running VGA for quite a while, actually on my Sammy DLP before the projector, and never had the "washed out" look..I did read the posts on it at the time, but had never seen an issue. Ran the Sammy on HTPC mode.

Calibrate, and you should be ok.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Many people who complain that it is washed out still have the black level on standard and not expanded. VGA needs expanded 98% of the time because the TV assumes it is a PC input. I have a DLP though so I use HDMI.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude /forum/post/15560430

Many people who complain that it is washed out still have the black level on standard and not expanded. VGA needs expanded 98% of the time because the TV assumes it is a PC input. I have a DLP though so I use HDMI.

Exactly...and be sure to calibrate. The VGA input will handle colors, blacks, contrast a bit differently from HDMI or Component. Colors look as good on my XBox and Xbox HDVD as they do on my BluRay and Cable connections (both HDMI). I used DVE to calibrate. If you have set the black level to "expanded" and calibrated and it STILL looks washed out...then I'd go with another connection.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was never quite happy with VGA thru my LG 42LB5D . But thru my Mits 1500 proj. it looks quite vivid. Not overly saturated but quite nice.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Here!

I've used/seen 360 VGA working beautifully on a half-dozen displays (westinghouse, Toshiba, Gateway 24", etc) No problem in getting all looking great. As most have HDMI/DVI, I have seem the same displays with HDMI output. Minimal difference once they're properly calibrated on both ends.

Can't speak for other displays but it can be done; its just up to the display.

·
Registered
588 Posts
also there have been many reports of shoddy 3rd party VGA cables. i'd stay away from the cheap ebay stuff & opt for the official MS ones. i've used mine on several displays including Samsung & Sony XBR. always looked great.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
vga looks great on both my sets:

47"

37"

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
toshiba 32HL95 LCD via official MS VGA cable has worked perfectly since I switched to vga 3 years ago. Used MS cables are only 10 bucks at Gamestops(trick is to find one though teh website can help locate one). MS are best, monoprices cable is supposedly trustworthy anything on ebay is a diceroll.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've always used VGA. Mine is pretty washed out, but if I make change it the dark areas are too dark.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/15562208

I've always used VGA. It's either washed out or too dark, not sure if it's the VGA or 360.

Change your black level to extended. Those are symptoms of having that set wrong.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
HDMI looks better for me, but on my Aquos (our main HDTV) the VGA is still pretty good. It does wash out a little bit though.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth /forum/post/15559174

compared to hdmi on my vga and making some adjustments lately, hdmi has been better for me. but i really like the smoothness of vga. i wish there were more color options available for vga on my samsung a650 because i would definitely use it...

anyone have some nice pics of their 360 through vga?

I have a samsung 52850 and have it connected to the vga set up to expanded and it looks perfect. I set the tv to movie mode and calibrated it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
can you calibrate when set to movie mode?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
No pics, but I would say mine is not washed out with VGA. I have a samsung 720p plasma panel. In fact when I try component I fell the colours are way too intense for me (like unnatural, you know what I mean?)

·
Registered
66 Posts
VGA connected to Panny PT50LC13, standard black levels.

Games look great - colors are vivid, blacks are a bit grey but that's par for this set. However there's some black crush on DVD playback.

Switching to Extended makes games look oversaturated and black crush unbearable.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Can't believe people are still asking about this.

If your TV is a fixed pixel display, most likely the VGA port is expecting PC levels. In that case "expanded" is appropriate, though you may need to adjust the brightness setting to get everything looking correct.

If your TV is an old CRT with a VGA port, chances are that it's looking for video levels. Of course, most of those didn't accept anything other than 1080i and 480p on that port so component is probably a better choice anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15574786

Can't believe people are still asking about this.

If your TV is a fixed pixel display, most likely the VGA port is expecting PC levels. In that case "expanded" is appropriate, though you may need to adjust the brightness setting to get everything looking correct.

If your TV is an old CRT with a VGA port, chances are that it's looking for video levels. Of course, most of those didn't accept anything other than 1080i and 480p on that port so component is probably a better choice anyway.

That all sounds convincing, but I think it's wrong. I have yet to see VGA/Expanded look good on any TV. It crushes blacks, big time. I believe Expanded is meant only for computer monitors.

Standard reference levels for TVs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts