AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of research just to make sure that I am getting the performance that I am looking for. I have the SVS PB12-NSD right now and love it. It is a stellar performer for home theater and is pretty good for music too. However I still feel that it is not as fast or as accurate for music as the 10 inch sub that I used to have. Also I know that when buying subs within my budget there are tradeoffs, you can't have the best of both worlds. So with that in mind, I am considering purchasing a musical sub and setting it on top of my SVS or in the opposite corner and turning my SVS off during music playback. I listen to a lot of kick drum stuff, jazz and rock so I feel a nice sealed 10 inch sub would work great in that area and when I go to watch a movie, switch it off and turn on the SVS. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I only have 1 sub and dont touch when going between movies and music.Dont need to.My reciever has sub settings for music,plxII,dts.dolby digital,stereo, and multi input. For the music and stereo settings i have it toned down a few db's.As a side note in the speaker settings the speakers can be set seperately to small or large for stereo,music etc.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
You need to compare subs....I know...not an easy task.

For your wants, and if you want to stick to one sub, I strongly suggest a Hsu VTF-3mk2 or a VTF-3mk3. Get one and compare it to your PB12-NSD.

The two sub route will be a more expensive route, but may satisfy even more. An MBM-12 is another option to the others posted.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS /forum/post/0

I have been doing a lot of research just to make sure that I am getting the performance that I am looking for. I have the SVS PB12-NSD right now and love it. It is a stellar performer for home theater and is pretty good for music too. However I still feel that it is not as fast or as accurate for music as the 10 inch sub that I used to have. Also I know that when buying subs within my budget there are tradeoffs, you can't have the best of both worlds. So with that in mind, I am considering purchasing a musical sub and setting it on top of my SVS or in the opposite corner and turning my SVS off during music playback. I listen to a lot of kick drum stuff, jazz and rock so I feel a nice sealed 10 inch sub would work great in that area and when I go to watch a movie, switch it off and turn on the SVS. What do you guys think?

while i swear by sealed alignments...i'm a DIY guy...i believe that one sub should be proficient enough to excell at both HT and music...if i were in your situation, i would'nt leave it to a 10" commercial subwoofer...given "certain" common methods of implementation...but if that's your cup of tea, maybe consider an SVS SB12 plus...better would be to DIY and build to follow your exact parameters...just a thought...good luck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramskoi /forum/post/0

while i swear by sealed alignments...i'm a DIY guy...i believe that one sub should be proficient enough to excell at both HT and music...if i were in your situation, i would'nt leave it to a 10" commercial subwoofer...given "certain" common methods of implementation...but if that's your cup of tea, maybe consider an SVS SB12 plus...better would be to DIY and build to follow your exact parameters...just a thought...good luck.

And coming from the car audio world, so do I. I have always used 10's and sealed enclosures for all of my car audio systems. And I also think that a sub should be excellent on music and perform the same way for theater but it seems that for the plug and play subs, unless you spend a ton of money, you really can't get the best of both worlds. Once again, not saying my SVS is bad on music because it most certainly is not, it is actually pretty good but I want even more performance. So you think going the DIY route might be the best way to go? It looks like you are using two 15's in a sealed enclosure. How does it sound? Is it fast,musical accurate? Can it keep up with fast moving kick drums? Also, how much did it cost you going that route?

·
Registered
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS /forum/post/0

And coming from the car audio world, so do I. I have always used 10's and sealed enclosures for all of my car audio systems. And I also think that a sub should be excellent on music and perform the same way for theater but it seems that for the plug and play subs, unless you spend a ton of money, you really can't get the best of both worlds. Once again, not saying my SVS is bad on music because it most certainly is not, it is actually pretty good but I want even more performance. So you think going the DIY route might be the best way to go? It looks like you are using two 15's in a sealed enclosure. How does it sound? Is it fast,musical accurate? Can it keep up with fast moving kick drums? Also, how much did it cost you going that route?

sitting 3 meters from the sub during the WOTW lightning scene is...well i'll give you two words...visceral and dynamic, with above-reference level playback...decay is pretty rapid and delineation of bass notes outstanding...the sub only speaks when there's something to say...it's underpowered with just one ep2500, so the amplifier gives out before the drivers...at a Qtc. of .45, the sub exhibits a very shallow rolloff of 6-7 dB/octave (after equalization) and because no subsonic filtering is used, group delay is kept lower than a commercial design...this gives the sub the opportunity for excellent transient performance...

This sub loves synthesizer bass...i was watching "Unbreakable" in DTS today for the first time...the train scene was fabulous...the infrasonic throbbing caused the air to shift in an ominous fashion...as if the room was breathing...

The total project ended up around $1800...of course i had someone build the box which could've saved me $385...but the enclosure is bulletproof, albeit over 200 lbs.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
To the original Poster - I use different subs for 2 ch music and movies. They auto switch. Why do I do this? My prepro a Bryston SP 1.7 has a 2 ch bypass. This is a true 2 ch bypass so the SP 1.7 becomes a 2 ch preamp (BP-26) so there is no bass managment in this realm (there is if I use the processor portion but it is not a "pure"). Even the volume control swithces over from a digital one to a good old fashion potentiometer. My L & R speakers are good to 40 Hz -3 db. So here is the setup

Denon 5900 Universal Player > Bryston Sp 1.7 L&R out > Bryston 10B active crossover

Bryston 10B > Bryston 4B SST power amp > L & R speakers

Bryston 10B > Velodyne HGS 12 sub

Bryston SP 1.7 LFE > Velodyne SMS-1 > 2 Crown amps > 4 SVS CS Ultras

For 2 ch music: the 10B is set for 40 (or was it 50) Hz cross over so , the 10B kicks in and the bass below 40 gets redirected to the Velodyne

For multichannel movies/music: the SP 1.7 is set for 80Hz cross over so the bass gets directed to SVS CS Ultras and very little if any bass gets to the Velodyne.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.