AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you use bookshelf speakers as your front left and right speakers (or maybe even LCR)? Do you feel you are lacking anything by not having floorstanding/tower speakers instead? Do they get loud enough for you?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Many people around here run bookshelf speakers for l/r. A good bookshelf paired with a good sub can save you some money over towers. Now if you plan to go strictly 2 channel, then that can be a different story.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I am sure there are a lot of factors that affect a persons decision to use bookshelf speakers and I can only relate my own story

My system is entry level and I'm slowly working towards 'upper entry level', but here is what i did today;

I replaced my Polk monitor 70 series II floor standing speakers with a pair of Jamo C103 bookshelf speakers

So far I have only listened to the Jamo's in 2 channel stereo (problem with my subwoofer) but I think I made a huge improvement in sound quality AND they take up a lot less space plus look a heck of a lot better.

To top it off, I spent less for the Jamo's (got them on sale) than I did for the Polk's (found on NewEgg years ago)

Now I just need to flog the Polks..

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Bookshelf here Klipsch RP160M's and RP 250C. In my med size room they do quite well with the help of some awesome subs, however for those who are into lots of two channel audio and have the room, floor standers will be much better IMO.

That been said i do get reference volume that is clean an impactful.

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Unless you're actually placing the bookshelf speakers on a bookshelf or wall mounting them they take up nearly as much floor space when factoring in stands. IMO floor standing speakers just look better.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Unless you're actually placing the bookshelf speakers on a bookshelf or wall mounting them they take up nearly as much floor space when factoring in stands. IMO floor standing speakers just look better.
A great many people feel this way about towers.

Personally, I (very subjectively) find monitors on stands more attractive. They seem to blend into the room better since they don't block as much visually, especially when viewed from the side and pulled out into the room away from walls.

Also, stands are more adjustable and towers just look odd toed-in, on risers, etc. Further, they can't be made shorter to achieve proper tweeter height (if necessary).

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've thought about switching from towers to bookshelf L/R in my 5.2 setup. Would there be any negative to doing so?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Elac B6 L/R fronts here in a 5.1 configuration

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I use identical bookshelf speakers for all channels (other than subwoofer, obviously). When I was selecting my speakers, I looked at what the tower speakers were compared with the bookshelf speakers from the same line were. They use the same tweeter and same midbass driver, but the tower adds a larger woofer for deeper bass (and increased power handling, since it filters the deep bass from the midbass and sends it to the larger woofer instead). Since I was going to use subwoofers anyway, it seemed crazy to spend twice as much ($3k) for the tower speakers, since I could filter the deep bass to the bookshelf speakers and send it to the subwoofers, which are more capable of deep bass than the towers were. Why pay for bass performance that is totally unnecessary, since I am using subwoofers?

I think that, whenever one is going to use subwoofers, unless one is going at the very cheap end (such that towers cost less than bookshelf speakers and stands) or one has unlimited money, one should go with bookshelf speakers instead of towers, if one is wanting to get the best sound for one's money. With the price difference between a tower and a bookshelf speaker, one could put that extra money into better subwoofers, and have better bass because one is using bookshelf speakers. Or, alternatively, one could use the same subwoofer one would use with the towers, but could put the money into a better line of bookshelf speaker, so that the sound above the subwoofer frequencies would be better.

Also, since I like having perfectly matched speakers, if I were going to use towers for the front right and left, I would want to use a tower for the center, too. Using different speakers means that the sound does not perfectly match, which explains why there are so many people who prefer a phantom center instead of the supposedly "voice matched" center speaker that companies make to fit people's furniture (as opposed to making it for optimal sound).

In answer to the specific questions, no, I don't think there is anything lacking due to using bookshelf speakers. And it plays more than loud enough for me. If one buys quality bookshelf speakers and sets it up right, it will play quite loud in an ordinary sized room. If I bought the towers with the same tweeter and midbass driver, any test tone played at the frequencies handled by the tweeter would have exactly the same maximum volume, and any test tone played at the frequencies of the midbass driver (but above the crossover point for the larger woofer) would also have exactly the same maximum volume. Overall, there is very little difference in maximum volume possible, when one sets things up properly, with the bass filtered from the main channels and sent to the subwoofer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use four GoldenEar Aon 2 speakers with a GoldenEar SuperCenter X in a 5.2 setup and I'm very happy with the sound. I have a small media room and the speakers are around 10 feet away from my MLP.

·
Registered
22,715 Posts
Just wondering how many of you use bookshelf speakers as your front left and right speakers (or maybe even LCR)? Do you feel you are lacking anything by not having floorstanding/tower speakers instead? Do they get loud enough for you?
I used to have bookshelves now have towers.

Both were very satisfying for Home Theater but, obviously, the towers allow me the option to listen to music in 2.0.

For a set amount of money you can generally get better drivers in a bookshelf than a tower.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I’m currently using bookshelves in a 3.1 but I’m about to go 5.1. Kinda going back and forth on whether to go bookshelves or towers. Theoretically, the less work you make each speaker do, the better, right? So even with a sub, you should see gains in the mids and higher lows, correct? Though I suppose getting a 3 way bookshelf could mitigate that a bit.

·
Registered
22,715 Posts
I’m currently using bookshelves in a 3.1 but I’m about to go 5.1. Kinda going back and forth on whether to go bookshelves or towers. Theoretically, the less work you make each speaker do, the better, right? So even with a sub, you should see gains in the mids and higher lows, correct? Though I suppose getting a 3 way bookshelf could mitigate that a bit.
The sheer spread of most towers, (but not mine), also give a taller vertical soundstage.

My main reason for going with towers vs bookshelves were my cats knocking the damned things over. :p

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I've thought about switching from towers to bookshelf L/R in my 5.2 setup. Would there be any negative to doing so?
Usually has to do with room size and volume level. Higher volumes and large rooms need larger woofers to move more air for that upper bass. There is a lot of "body" in music in the 100hz to 300hz range so high output in that range needs something bigger than a 6" woofer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Bookshelf speakers for L/C/R with dual subs play with reference volume effortlessly in my moderate sized HT room. With a grand wall unit for displaying the big screen tv, shelves for the speakers, the aesthetics work better in my situation over floor standing towers. Also, easy to add 2 identical surround bookshelf speakers on stands for a timbre matched base layer for 5.1.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I use Hsu CCB-8s as LCR. (They're fairly hefty, 22 lb /10 kg each.) Hsu doesn't make towers.

The big plus for me is that my two small male dogs can lift their legs on the speaker stands without harm to the speakers. I also have two Hsu subs. The old VTF-1 Mk2 is down-firing, and fairly dog proof. The second, a VTF-1 Mk3, is front firing, but so far the dogs haven't displayed any interest in them. (The driver is probably high enough to avoid leg lifts.)

I went with bookshelf speakers after a pair of early 80s DCM Time Windows were pretty much destroyed by the little guys. The bases started to delaminate, and the non-removable grilles were getting rather nasty. (Less cheaply made speakers are probably more resistant/cleanable.)

The "bookshelf" status of the CCB-8 is debateable. It has rear bass ports, so it wouldn't normally be used on an actual bookshelf with the ports open. Hoever, it comes with foam plugs to close the ports, so I guess that it's optionally a real bookshelf speaker.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts