AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
L300u Owners - did you get a chance to see the pj before purchasing? Would you recommend buying it without seeing it?

I normally research the product and get a demo first but can't find dealers in the bay area.

Is there any L300u owners in the bay area willing to give a demo?

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought mine without seeing it, solely on the opinions of ProjectorCentral and the good comments on this forum.

It arrived yesterday and I'm extremely pleased with it. The room wasn't quite ready yet and I havn't moved my pc and all, but I've hooked up the GameCube and took THIS picture. Without tuning or tweaking and with only a sheet as screen (the screen is on the way, but won't be here for another week, maybe two) the projector gives excellent results.

Ofcourse, this is my first one and I've only seen a Garbo and and Epson DLP in action. The first was too fuzzy, the other made my head ache from all the rainbows. (Yes, I'm one of THOSE people ;) )

I fully recommend it. But then again, who would buy something as expensive and not be happy about it?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ditto what KaiZas wrote. I'm still showing it on a mustard coloured wall and don't even feel the need to rush out and buy the proper screen - I'm that impressed!

Unless you're used to watchingthe $5k+ machines, you should love it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my 300 site-unseen.

I project an 8' wide picture on a white wall, and sit 14' back. I have 52 hours logged so far, and I'm happy as can be. I have NO buyers remourse whatsoever. If I had to do it all again today, given the experience of watching 52 hours of movies on this projector, I'd buy the exact same unit again. I also have no plans to buy or make a screen, since I think the picture looks fantastic as is.

I'd say: GO FOR IT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought mine sight unseen as well. The picture is great and with an HCCV screen I think my setup would even be better. Lighting control is important. I think having a darker wall behind the screen would also help (my walls are currently tan and the ceiling is white drop ceiling tiles) However none of this is unique to this projector.

I am a bit disappointed that I cannot use the DVI port from my new Samsung TS160 HD DirecTV receiver since it has HDCP and the Pany does not. However Component outputs and seeing Leno in HD the other night tells me that I probably don't even need the DVI port.

Just make sure you buy it from a reputable place. The place I got it from lets you return it as new as long as the lamp is under 4 hours. This was just enough time for me to get it setup, run the flicker tweak and watch a good movie before deciding I was going to keep it :)

-Smiley

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought mine sight unseen after getting aggravated waiting for the hs10. I of course did a lot of research ahead of time, and I am very satisifed so far (400Hours).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bought mine sight unseen, have almost 300 hrs on it and can't imagine a better $2000 spent on my theater. Get one, you won't regret it. Honestly, you will be suprised that you can get such a good picture for $2000.

Chuck

·
Registered
103 Posts
Me too, sight unseen. Based entirely on research and viewing as many different models as I could. You get to know a lot about how it will look if you read reviews of any model Projector and then go see it.

Make sure you at least view 5 or more models. I was awestruck by a Sim2 200 when it was the second PJ I saw. I went back 9 months later to look at the same Projector and was amazed at how different it looked, I was able to see the different strengths/weaknesses a lot better.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i got mine after seeing someone post images of the panny compared to three other units. liked the panny the best. and also with the advice on this forum that indicated you wouldnt be dissapointed has held true to fact.

it is great right out of the box!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
50 lamp hours later and I'm still very satisfied with it. This friday I'll tear down the sheet and mount a screen. I suspect I won't get out of the house this summer!

I use an HTPC and tweaking that has been quite a hassle with my GeForce card. 1280*720 seems to look the best, but sometimes my screen goes black for a split second. I bought a Radeon 9700 today and hope I'll have access to some more resolutions.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You should have added a poll ;)

I too bought mine sight-unseen. Approx 180-200 hrs in the first month (I use mine for regular satellite viewing too), and no complaints except one.

With all the hype lately about HDCP, I've become worried that the non-HDCP DVI connector on the L300U will be a problem in the not-so-distant future.

I still can't see the reasoning behind putting copy protection on a display device (since it can't record anything), but it may become demanded for HD-DVD :(. Have to wait and see how the future unfolds.

Ken

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yes I bought it sigh unseen and online to boot. Much worry about nothing. Well except that UPS lost the PJ on the first shipment. But thanks to visualapex I had another one in less than a week. But other than that I am totally satisfied with this purchase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.