AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Wiring their speakers

Anyway, I want to know among those who do bi-wire and bi-amp if it really makes that much difference. To me it seems that bi-wiring just gives you more wire contact area to each speaker. OK I know about signal loss over long runs, but with with the availability of speaker wire in 12 guage (or larger) sizes, does it really make that much of a difference? Does the expense of running yet another set of garden hoses to each speaker yield an audible difference?

I guess I am just "Bi-curious" (sorry).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Someone tried to create a thread on this

I would put this into the AVR FAQ, but I think it's too complex and specialized of a subject. I also think it's mostly pointless making me rather biased on the topic.

I suggest you google, do some reading up on it, and form your own opinions.

Also, people seem to get pretty confused between biamping and biwiring. Make sure you understand which is which. Biwiring requires no extra amps and smacks strongly of psuedo science.

biamping seems like a complicated method to add power. Just buy bigger amps.

A source I personally trust has a writeup on biamping you may want to read, though -

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
So am I. Not that there's anything wrong with not being straight...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm Bi and loving it. Bi-amping that is. I use the 2 extra amp sections in my Denon 4806CI to Bi-amp my Paradigm 40's.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
i only use hetero wire, none of that bi stuff.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
..............although I do use a custom-fabricated bi-wire configuration for my Parasound Halo A51 amp and Monitor Audio GS-Series set-up

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/14288580

I'm straight

me too

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Im Bi wired because the dealer threw in the really cool looking thick cables for chump change since I was spending a lot already. Not because I believe in their effect.

And after all, I like filling up the holes wherever I see them...

·
Registered
160 Posts
A guy comes up to me at a party once and asks me if I'm Bi. I speak a little Spanish, so I say, "Yeah, I'm Bi." He asks me if I want to come back to his place for some "S&M". So I think, "Hey, Spaniards and Mexicans, yeah I'm in!" -Steve Martin

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
501 Posts
I decided to give it a try because the option was on my speakers. I was hoping for big changes, but when I hooked it up, I heard no differences. I figured that it was hype. My speakers are JBL's, and the instruction book did not tell me where the connector plates were. I had to figure that out. Once I took them off...

I hear a clear difference in the sound - clear! Deeper and more powerful bass, along with crisper and more powerful high. Keeps making me wonder why I would need a sub. I would do it if I were you. Now I just need to know where to bi-amp my center speaker (Onkyo 705).

·
Registered
720 Posts
I bi-amped my Klipsch RF-52's off an Onkyo 805 and it made a noticeable difference in the mid and low bass response. I didn't need to rely on the sub nearly as much. Sounds great!

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Biwiring will allow you to experiment with different gauges for the uppers and lowers which will have subtle, audible affects generally resulting in improved soundstage, focus, and a more wholesome, organic presentation to your ears. Not only can you vary the gauge, but you can investigate the use of different metals (silver, silver plated, silver infused, gold, aluminum, etc.) to tailor the sound to your specific tastes. Remember to allow two to three days between changes to allow for the wire to relax which will facilitate a more consistent presentation and allow you to make a critical judgement as to whether the changes were an improvement or not. Many discoveries happen quite by accident in this world of ours such as the discovery of LSD, the hidden emails you found on your wife's computer or for that matter, the balled up size 5 thong panties you forgot to remove after your last business trip from your suit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bi-amp a pair of Martin Logan ReQuest with a Sunfire TGA-7200

I use the current source for a warmer, more open tube sound to the pannels and voltage source for tightest response to the 12's with Four-Conductor m2.4s speaker cable

Just about do not need my True Subwoofer EQ Signature, have it playing from 30Hz down

its the best of both worlds – warm, spacious highs; and tight, punchy lows!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts