AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I'm really looking for "one box to rule them all." I'm absolutely in love with Plex, but I need to switch to my TiVo Roamio for live TV. I'm sick of the Roamio, though, and it seems as though ServerWMC might be the technology for me. I can have a small Windows 8 box run as the backend to my Live TV system w/ full cablecard / encrypted channel integration w/ the 6 tuner Ceton card.. Then I can have linux XBMC boxes that use that as backened to have a full experience, and I can integrate Plex w/ XBMC.

Put Plex aside... How many here have used ServerWMC w/ Linux XBMC frontends? How was the experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I setup my Openelec Frodo system to use my ServerWMC instance this past weekend. I didn't play with it too much, but I wasn't happy with the guide interface in Aeon Nox (my regular skin). Plus, I think my old single core Atom/Ion machine is showing its age.

Now, that probably doesn't help you, but I'd like to hear from others too. Maybe I'll finally upgrade my OpenElec box to something more modern.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end#post_24497651

I setup my Openelec Frodo system to use my ServerWMC instance this past weekend. I didn't play with it too much, but I wasn't happy with the guide interface in Aeon Nox (my regular skin). Plus, I think my old single core Atom/Ion machine is showing its age.

Now, that probably doesn't help you, but I'd like to hear from others too. Maybe I'll finally upgrade my OpenElec box to something more modern.

I use it with openelec, the guide does suck and it seems like the channels don't match up to the real channels (FIOS) but I think that might be a setting I can change in ServerWMC. I have been so busy lately that I couldn't toy with it but I'll get to it.

Aside from that, I am real happy with it. Plays all my files and livetv like a champ.

·
Registered
15,289 Posts
ServerWMC doesn't work at all for me. It fails to get any guide data from WMC and causes all my recordings to be blank. Needless to say, I have uninstalled it. I applaud the effort, but it is not ready for prime time.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end#post_24497687

I use it with openelec, the guide does suck and it seems like the channels don't match up to the real channels (FIOS) but I think that might be a setting I can change in ServerWMC. I have been so busy lately that I couldn't toy with it but I'll get to it.

Aside from that, I am real happy with it. Plays all my files and livetv like a champ.

Yeah, I remember seeing a setting in ServerWMC to force the channel numbers to match your WMC settings.

I'm thinking about installing Gotham beta shortly, so maybe there've been updates that make the interface more usable.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ive been using it on a windows 7 machine with an infinitv4 and the artic skin. Artic has the best guide interface out of all the xbmc skins. I also network my client macbook xbmc install to get live TV in the bedroom. Channel change time is slow compared to wmc. I built a seamless transition setup between wmc and xbmc if I want fast channel change times

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end/0_100#post_24498719

Yeah, I remember seeing a setting in ServerWMC to force the channel numbers to match your WMC settings.

I'm thinking about installing Gotham beta shortly, so maybe there've been updates that make the interface more usable.

The setting is in XBMC under "System->TV"

Toggle these settings on
  • Always use the channel order from the backend
  • Use backend channels numbers (only works with 1 enabled PVR addon)

Also, if you are trying the Gotham Beta (2), then use the build from this page for better PVR channel change times https://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc/prebuild.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end/0_100#post_24498431

ServerWMC doesn't work at all for me. It fails to get any guide data from WMC and causes all my recordings to be blank. Needless to say, I have uninstalled it. I applaud the effort, but it is not ready for prime time.
Who is your provider? It's easy to see your recordings not working in XBMC if you aren't using Fios or Comcast

The guide data should have worked, I've never had an issue with that part

It also works with Android

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Also make sure you setup all your logos with MCL in WMC prior to installing serverwmc (or restart serverwmc when you are done adding channel logos then reset your PVR database in xbmc)

·
Registered
15,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end/0_100#post_24499624

Who is your provider? It's easy to see your recordings not working in XBMC if you aren't using Fios or Comcast

The guide data should have worked, I've never had an issue with that part

It also works with Android
Charter, all copy freely or no copy protection (I have no premiums which are copy protected). It's as if the error in getting guide data causes something to hang in WMC, hence all new recordings are completely blank, both in WMC and MB3 clients. I'm not using any clients except the web client. I can play back existing recordings fine in the web client. If I uninstall the plugin, all is well again, except the blank recordings are still blank. It's very puzzling. Keep in mind that guide data isn't working in WMC for anybody in North America at the moment. Maybe that has something to do with it too. Also, I have a PCIe InfiniTV 4, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end/0_100#post_24499734

Charter, all copy freely or no copy protection (I have no premiums which are copy protected). It's as if the error in getting guide data causes something to hang in WMC, hence all new recordings are completely blank, both in WMC and MB3 clients. I'm not using any clients except the web client. I can play back existing recordings fine in the web client. If I uninstall the plugin, all is well again, except the blank recordings are still blank. It's very puzzling. Keep in mind that guide data isn't working in WMC for anybody in North America at the moment. Maybe that has something to do with it too. Also, I have a PCIe InfiniTV 4, if that makes any difference.

Ah, your experience is all within MB3. Can't say that I've played with that yet

However, out of *further* curiosity, does just having serverwmc run in the background cause issue *IF* you leave MB3 alone?? I say this since I'm using it just fine with XBMC, and I've never had it interfere with WMC. If you only installed and ran serverwmc (without any clients) it shouldn't bother anything, but if it did (even just in your case) the developers are very quick to squash bugs and would probably be interested in looking at it with you at the MB3 forums. Although, if it's just the MB3 specific part that is wreaking havoc, then maybe that will sort itself out as MB3 continues to update and refine

Also, the beauty of serverwmc was they make use of WMC for tuner configuration, guide, scheduling, conflicts, etc. I haven't in my particular case used it with the PCIe 4, but I have used it with the Ceton 6 - eth.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end#post_24499848

Also, I've still got guide data for now. How long has it been out? Guess my 15 day backlog isn't depleted yet
My WMC has frozen at Mar 20 for about the last week. No new guide data after Mar 20. Note that this is a WMC guide data issue, nothing to do with ServerWMC.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts

I have been playing with OpenELEC/XBMC/WMC Add-on for quite a while (Beta 4 currently). I'm OTA only so I can't speak to subscription channels. I have been very impressed. The only issue I have seen is the remote's trick play keys are a little funky when viewing current recordings versus previously recorded shows. A while back I tried to use it full time for my nightly viewing and I would prefer a traditional extender - although it was perfectly serviceable. My typical usage is to bring live TV and recordings into the dedicated room of which I virtually never view in there. So it works perfectly. 
 Bottom line the interface isn't quite as slick. 

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end/0_100#post_24500798

Bottom line the interface isn't quite as slick
To which interface were you referring

·
Registered
15,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end/0_100#post_24499844

Ah, your experience is all within MB3. Can't say that I've played with that yet

However, out of *further* curiosity, does just having serverwmc run in the background cause issue *IF* you leave MB3 alone??
Yes, just running it in the background with no clients makes all recordings in progress blank.

I'll give it another shot today and see if MS fixing the guide data made any difference. I happened to install it at a time when it was impossible to get complete guide data, perhaps causing it to fail because of that.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end#post_24501293

To which interface were you referring

WMC via XBMC. You can't move around as easily or use the remote as nicely. Simply appears a few generations older compared to a normal extender.

·
Registered
15,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1523084/how-many-people-here-use-serverwmc-on-the-backend-w-xbmc-front-end/0_100#post_24502113

Yes, just running it in the background with no clients makes all recordings in progress blank.

I'll give it another shot today and see if MS fixing the guide data made any difference. I happened to install it at a time when it was impossible to get complete guide data, perhaps causing it to fail because of that.
I finally got it working. It was trying to use the same port as another program. Once I moved it to a different port, everything started working.

EDIT: I had to remove it after a couple of days. Still too much interference with WMC (bogus subscription required messages). Maybe my low end PC just doesn't have the horsepower to run it. In any case it isn't going to work for me at this point. Great effort so far though.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I've been using it for a while, Win7 on 2 systems. Definitely still a work in progress but overall fairly stable. Channel changes are still pretty slow, so if I happen to be in "surfing" mode (i.e. watching March Madness) then I'll fire up WMC instead.

Yesterday morning I was watching live TV, changed channels and got an error saying the channel could be displayed. Tried again, same thing. Restarted XBMC, then the living room HTPC, still no joy. Re-starting the ServerWMC didn't help, had to finally reboot that system to get it going again. Things like that happen every so often, but not frequently enough to make me give up on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been using it for a while, Win7 on 2 systems. Definitely still a work in progress but overall fairly stable. Channel changes are still pretty slow, so if I happen to be in "surfing" mode (i.e. watching March Madness) then I'll fire up WMC instead.

Yesterday morning I was watching live TV, changed channels and got an error saying the channel could be displayed. Tried again, same thing. Restarted XBMC, then the living room HTPC, still no joy. Re-starting the ServerWMC didn't help, had to finally reboot that system to get it going again. Things like that happen every so often, but not frequently enough to make me give up on it.
I installed ServerWMC on a Win 7 box that I use with a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime tuner . The SD product has a CableCard that allows access, on three separate tuners, to content provided by Comcast, the Win 7 box is used as a pvr and is connected to my main TV. I wanted to install ServerWMC so I could use XMBC on a low cost Raspberry Pi to display live TV at another TV outlet that is in another room. ServerWMC installed without any problem, but when I went to view a live TV channel I got a message that said "Display driver error. The video playback device does not support playback of protected content."

Turns out that Comcast "protects" all channels in my service area and the only way to get service at an additional outlet is either by directly connecting an additional Win box with WMC or renting a converter from Comcast. Neither option is low cost.

Comcast no longer has any unencrypted channels and is obviously trying to extract additional revenue by forcing one to rent one of their converter boxes. Since there is no competition in my area and I can't get OTA channels (too hilly), I'm stuck!

Had to uninstall ServerWMC and reboot to get back to where I started.

:mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts