AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got some numbers from someone. CEA numbers. I am not included.

"- How many ATSC receivers (either integrated with displays or as set-top boxes) have been sold? Todd Thibodeaux of CEA reports that, from the very beginning through February 28, 2001, the grand total number leaving factories was 95,267. Yes, that's still below 100,000. Yes, that includes receivers in stores, warehouses, TV stations, labs, etc. But it's a 44% increase in just three months over the 66,269 that had left factories through November 30 of last year. Due to the many peculiar agreements CEA has with its reporting members, that seems to be all the information I'm allowed to have at the moment. When next I get numbers I'll be able to report whether that strong growth was sustained or just represents the entry of many more brands in January.

- I may be misinterpreting the text, but a message posted on the OpenDTV Forum last week by a customer very satisfied with his AccessDTV computer card suggests that it is his fourth or fifth DTV receiver:

< http://www.topica.com/lists/openDTV/read/message.html?mid=1303890442&sort=d&start=22302&gt ;"

If we were going as slow as the Aussies, 2500 in 3 months, we should have 1,400,000 boxes sold assuming that we have been doing this for the four years that Bob U says and that we are 14 times bigger than Australia. If they are slow what are we. BTW an email I got last night cautions the Aussies not to buy this box onseen.

Another note from the same source as above.

- In Australia, some are sad that "only" 2,500 customers have bought or rented DTV receivers in the three months the service was on the air. WE should have been so lucky:

< http://www.smh.com.au/news/0104/06/pageone/pageone6.html&gt ;

Also in Australia, DGTEC is reportedly planning to release an HDTV STB at the end of June. It's to cost $699 Australian, same as the current SDTV boxes, which is $344.61 U.S. at yesterday's exchange rate, $200 less than the Thomson DTC100 ATSC receiver:

< http://groups.google.com/groups?q=dgtec&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=4&seld=907143712&ic=1 >

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Quote:
a message posted on the OpenDTV Forum last week by a customer very satisfied with his AccessDTV computer card suggests that it is his fourth or fifth DTV receiver
That was me bud. If you have any questions, just ask me.

I have two displays, a 40" Toshiba and a front projection system. I have one HDTV receiver for each. Do you see something unreasonable about that?

The two other HDTV receivers I no longer have are being used (presumbably) by the two different individuals I sold them to. So what's your problem with that? Buying a used HDTV receiver doesn't count?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Shouldn't you post a reference to where you got this information? It sounds like this is straight out of the "Marks Monday Memo"

------------------

Geof

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Geof:
Shouldn't you post a reference to where you got this information? It sounds like this is straight out of the "Marks Monday Memo"
It was pasted to me. How do I get to "Marks Monday Memo"?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
How do I get to "Marks Monday Memo"?
Look here .

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
40 Posts
Replying to his own post, the same attitude towards certain industry figures, and newbie questions turned into 8-VSB detractor posts...

Sounds like somebody else to me. Nice try, Bob.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I think he was just pointing out that, with some people having more than one receiver, the 95K number still does not indicate 95,000 HOMES with DTV.

Broadcast ratings, and broadcasters' perceptions of everything, go by numbers of HOUSEHOLDS http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .....ratings, ratings, ratings.

So, the number of households/families watching is far less than 95,000.

------------------

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV/-DT.

"Not a REAL Engineer, but I play one in TV"

·
Registered
307 Posts
It is a favorite claim of the COFDM zealots that those of us with STBs have more than one of them. That definitely doesn't include me, but I am glad that everyone else here is doing that well these days!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.