AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two projectors listed in the classifieds.

I'm getting the impression that the number of hits in the classifieds has dropped precipitously and that the number of items listed in the classifieds has dropped as well. There used to be a higher volume of projectors listed for sale.

How many out there regularly scan the classifieds?

Maybe the classifieds need some small changes to the format. It would help if the price weren't buried for example, and if the seller could accentuate a price change or change history.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I try to avoid it out of fear for my life from my wife for one of those impulse buys :D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You are correct, Ken. I do not bother to look at the classifieds anymore. While I like the organization, I do not want to check every section....I prefer the old way. Everything listed in one big chunk...unless I forgot what it looked like :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
David, I think you hit upon a great solution which might satisfy everyone involved. I'm not exactly certain of what the AVS' concerns were but I'm guessing that it has something to do with people's abilities to "reply" to these posts and for the entire world to see these replies. From the users' perspectives, this was a benefit. However, the other benefit of the old forum was simply speed. With the old forum, you could quickly see everything that was there and what the most recent stuff was. I would imagine that it would be possible to offer a "View All" mode which listed new items first. It would still not offer the ability to reply, but I think this would at least improve the present situation.

OK, before posting this I decided to take a look at the existing classified section. Here are my ideas for improving the classified section (not sure how difficult to do):

When you select the classified option from the forum list you currently see all individual categories. There is no "View All" option. You can select from projectors, screens, etc. Once you select a category, you have an additional screen of sub-categories (e.g. - DLP, CRT, LCD, etc.) and do have the option of a "Select All". Once you make your selection, you see the actual items for sale. They are sorted by new->old. Items for sale and items wanted are mixed together.

Now for my suggestions. You select "Classifieds" from the forum list as you do today. You then go to some sort of super search screen which would have options to see everything (default) or certain categories (screens, projectors, etc.). You might offer more specific options (e.g. - LCD, CRT, DLP). AVS would need to decide whether adding this extra flexibility (and complexity) was worth it based on how many posts they get to the classifieds for certain topics. In other words, don't break out screen types by brands or types if you only get two classified postings a week in the whole screen category. On the other hand, if tons of new projector ads are added each day, it would make sense to break them out by category. No matter what you do, add a "All" option for each category (e.g. - All screen types) in addition to an overall "All" category (e.g. - All items for sale). Should you allow for seeing only items for sale vs items wanted? I think not. Here's why: When I go to this forum I may have in mind a specific type of thing I want to buy (e.g. - a used projector) but would still like to see everything that people are looking to buy in case I may have some old thing I don't use anymore but have forgotten about. I'm not completely sold on this latter idea, though. When you get to see the actual items, the items for sale should be separated from the items wanted (two tables - "For Sale" on the left, "Wanted" on the right).

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

Scott

·
Registered
363 Posts
I also used to puruse a couple of times per day, and I seem to remember that things would be sold a heck of a lot faster previously, I still go look occassionally but nowhere near as frequently as before...

Miles

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Oh another thread about the classifieds....how long will this one last?

·
Registered
611 Posts
For me, I just don't think of it. Even when I in a purchasing mood.

If there was a settable field in my preferences configuration that would send me a reminder upon login about the classified forum on a frequency that I would select (say every 3/7/14/30/never days). If I did not want to pursue it, I could click away. If I wanted to change the frequency, I could.

Vince

·
Registered
625 Posts
You need to see the $$$PRICE

There has to be a PRICE column between the POSTED & PHOTO

Otherwise you have to Open each one individually to see $PRICE$

Folks peruse the Classifieds looking for DEALS......u know $CHEAP$

Otherwise we just walk into the store and pay the going rate.

Pull up anything on eBay and its DESCRIPTION / $PRICE$

My Pet Peeve: FOR SALE SIGNS without $PRICE$

I figure the seller already knows the asking price is toooo HIGH

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I look at the classified's fairly frequently.

Ken, I have been sorely tempted by your D-ILA in the classified's right now.

What would really help me would be a PRICE column! I hate having to look into ads to see the prices.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I used to look at the classifieds every day, since they were moved to the new format i looked once and haven't gone back. too cumbersome, IMHO.

Probably a good thing for my wallet ;)

·
Registered
967 Posts
I too used to view the classifieds numerous times everyday. Since the change, I don't view them anymore. If any moderators are reading this - here's my vote for returning to the old classifieds section.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Guys, similar threads like this have gone on complaining about the change to the classifieds and have been killed. Alan and the gang made the decision for reasons not completely clear but what they have made clear is that they're not going back to the old format. Therefore, please don't waste time simply complaining about the differences and asking that they switch back. It will also probably result in this thread being closed.

Unlike prior threads, I was hoping that this one could turn into a constructive thread in which we came up with some ideas for improving the current one which would be acceptable to Alan and feasible to implement.

Scott

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you click on Browse Ads at the top, it will list everything for sale in all categories by date.

Also, you can click on All Categories once inside any category to list everything that is for sale in all categories by date.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ken,

I used to browse all the time and now I never do.

For all the reasons already mentioned plus two more: 1) people cross-posting to multiple categories that are based on who they think a customer might be rather than what the item is. 2) you have to go into each ad to see who posted it -- I used to look at ads just based on other member's reputations.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.