AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about SonicBlue locking down the 4500's, I got to thinking... By limiting the "hacking" that a very small percentage of Replay users are doing, I would think that SB is alienating a very vocal part of their customer base.

I know I'm responsible for two other users owning a ReplayTV box, both of whom had never even heard about it/PVR's before. But with SB possibly taking the fun out of owning one of their units, I might not invest in a 4xxx, and thus have less chance of recommending one to my friends and family.

Am I alone, or is this the general consensus?

·
Registered
179 Posts
This "hacking" is one of my primary reasons for purchasing a ReplayTV. If it wasn't for programs like SwapDV and ReplayPC I probably would have never bought a PVR. I primarily just want to be able to archive shows for my personal use.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Word of mouth was big on those but now they are in the stores people can evaluate them directly on the merits.

Oh and I know... I was responsible for getting two close friends to get "free" TiVo's and I lived to regret that one. But in both cases they ended up with some kind of Showstopper and eventually 4K's. In all cases that was too much upgrading for KenL to be responsible for... really (without charging).

So give them as a gift "ready to roll" or just let them pick their own: AOL types... perhaps a TiVo, all else and those seeking quality and/or adverse to spam... a commercial gobbling 4.5K? :cool::cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hasn't SonicBlue created their own hacking problem by selling their larger hard disk units at an increadible markup?

Doesn't SonicBlue understand that consumers all know that the difference in pricing between a 40 hour and 320 hour unit shouldn't be $1,300?

It reminds me of the old PC days when IBM created a huge after market for memory and hard drives by over charging consumers. All it did was make users mistrust IBM and made them happy to jump ship to upstarts like Compaq and Dell.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well neither SB or TiVo (or UTV?) up to this point have cared about drive upgrades. Not likely to change. Even the most theoretically locked up TiVo's (and even those with locked drives) were still rather easily upgradable... thanks to our great "hackers" of all stripes. Don't see this changing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I personally am responsible for two friends buying ReplayTVs in the last month. Additionally, I have been thinking of giving ReplayTVs to a number of folks on my Christmas list this year.

For a low-end 4xxx at $449, no service fee, and upgradeable, I would immediately purchase 5-10 units.

For $449 plus the street price of a Maxtor expansion drive (80, 120, 160mb) with no service fee, and NOT upgradeable I would still buy 5-10.

With a service fee, not upgradeable, but with an acceptable size single drive (80?, 120, 160mb) where the drive is priced out at street price less the base 40Mb drive, I would still buy a few.

I own a 2020, a 4160 and a 4320. I was willing to pay FULL STICK-IT-TO-EM RETAIL for ONE 4320. I won't pay $2000 for two $225 disk drives again.

I REALLY want two receivers in my ReplayTV. (But am unwilling to go UTV or Tivo. Yet). By the way THE SINGLE REASON why I reject UTV and Tivo is SERVICE FEE! I HATE service fees. Period. I also don't like how "helpful" Tivo is. Or how slow UTV is.

I WANT satellite digital (D*) instead of digital-analog conversion.

I will buy a HDTV PVR as soon as they are "reasonably" priced for the capacity. $2000-$4000 for satellite AND OTA HDTV with 50 or more HDTV real hours capacity is "reasonable" to me.

With two receivers and digital recording and HDTV 50-100 hour capacity, I would probably drift up to $4995.

More than you wanted to know, but I just had to speak up.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've sold one for them. Possibly two depending on how a friend decides to go. I've also sold someone on an UltimateTV since he has DirecTV with two tuners but the local stores didn't have TiVo receivers at that moment.

I'm actually shocked more of my friends haven't bought them, especially after watching the Super Bowl at my house and being able to pause for bathroom breaks and food breaks =)

--

Daniel

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have helped to sell zero! But it's not for lack of trying.

ReplayTV is probably my most favorite electronic device I own, but I don't bother to tell anyone else about it anymore. I got tired of the standard response; "I don't watch TV that much." And ofcourse "I already have a VCR."

Morons.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I helped sell 2 Dish PVRs and a Tivo; another person was looking hard at the Replay, but I may have steered him toward a Tivo. I don't recommend any of them over another. Tivo lacks CA, Replay lacks a To-do list. CA is a little bigger, but Replay should be ashamed of themselves for not providing a list of stuff that it will record. Replay has really only been in the running for someone with cable and an internal network (not very many).

With the 4500s, a network won't be required, but they are still too expensive. I'm sure glad that Replay offered a more price competitive version! :mad:

bill

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I haven't been able to sell a single ReplayTV. I did manage to talk my dad into using a TiVo, but only after I purchased it FOR him.

Everyone seems to think they are an interesting toy, but aren't worth buying.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, I bought three and resold one.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I guess I'll just answer the question posed ... 15

AND I dissuaded ALL of them from buying TiVo's. Most had NEVER heard of ReplayTV and the couple that had didn't know that it was a competitive product. However, the existence of this site and the information the CORE contributors provide made those sales possible.

No they were not all 4xxx units, only 2 were, but every one of the others ARE candidates for upgrading.

·
Registered
556 Posts
At least two so far, and ironically neither have actually seen mine or another replay or pvr prior to purchase, solely by me giving examples examples, such as " well you know, if you had a replay tv... you would be able to.. ", the ability to skip commercials and the fact that showstoppers are real cheap now and combined, upgrade hacks, and with enough of those "well if you had a replay..." examples, were, in the first case the big selling points , then after he had his a while and realized what I was talking about, the two of us worked on the third person, who I fingered as being held hostage by monday night football.. he just recently has seen the light and acquired a showstopper.. PVR's will sell, they just have to break the $200 barrier and have a real cheap (if not free) program guide subscription , what I don't get is why someone can't build a PVR that utilizes the television listings broadcast over most PBS stations, (Guide Plus Gold) I think its called, my Sony VCR has this and it doesn't need to dial in or connect to the Internet in any way or form.. Granted this guide is not as nice as the one currently on the replay but it would be sufficient for most uses.. The Guide Plus Gold on the Sony VCR worked really well (until the showstopper arrived) (don't use it at all these days).. It would be nice if you had a choice of program guide sources, and you could pick the one you liked or could afford.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have helped sell 12 of them not counting the 3 I personnally own.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Snarler

I'm actually shocked more of my friends haven't bought them, especially after watching the Super Bowl at my house and being able to pause for bathroom breaks and food breaks =)

--

Daniel [/b]
No need to pause during my party, we just did our business during the little intermissions where all those big guys in colored costumes went running around chasing each other. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had 2 friends buy and 2 others that wanted to buy, but couldnt find them in stores anywhere (I have a Showstopper so they were looking for them). I agree with dmccann, it is the best device in the house and I too am tired of "isnt a VCR the same thing"

·
Registered
431 Posts

Originally posted by StevieJ

I agree with dmccann, it is the best device in the house and I too am tired of "isnt a VCR the same thing

When my friends ask if it's just like a VCR I just say Ya, And a bike is just like a Porsche!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.