AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not see this discussed even though I did a search. Im just curious i see quite a few people often switching user profiles and calibration for hdtv vs movies. So I want to ask those with the same lighting conditions (people that watch movies and hdtv in the dark on their projector) do many of you still have different profiles set up for each?

When I calibrate my projector, I calibrate it for color, black level, brightness, properly. I find it odd seeing many people with light controlled rooms still have brighter settings for hdtv, gaming, ect...

To be honest I make sure im satisfied with the lumens on movies just as much as hdtv.

Sure blacks might not matter as much for sports but contrast still counts, and what about watching other content, and tv shows where I would value blacks (dexter, lost, ect..)

I dont think i have ever tried having different profiles set up, usually what i calibrate blue ray for also looks the best on hdtv and gaming as well.

Seems im in the minority though? I would just like to know what others here do?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Hard to say. I personally do a full proper calibration, and then simply adjust things like lamp setting and such if I need a bit more kick...but only temporarily. Even then most times I don't bother changing it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I only change brightness and contrast because my Blu-ray player passes blacker than black and whiter than white (0-255), and my HDTV source does not. If I don't change it for HDTV, my brightness will be too low, and my contrast too high.

I calibrate using the AVS-HD REC.709 disc (Blu-ray), and don't change any of the calibration settings other than what I mentioned, for various sources.

Dan

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Since I run video direct with HDMI for blu ray and component for TV/HDTV the saved settings are different and automatically picked up. I tried some of the switching HDMI receivers and didn't like what they were doing to the video.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan /forum/post/18278144

I only change brightness and contrast because my Blu-ray player passes blacker than black and whiter than white (0-255), and my HDTV source does not. If I don't change it for HDTV, my brightness will be too low, and my contrast too high.

I calibrate using the AVS-HD REC.709 disc (Blu-ray), and don't change any of the calibration settings other than what I mentioned, for various sources.

Dan

Do you mean that your bluray is set to output PC levels while your HDTV source outputs video levels?

To the OP - I go one better... I use one PJ for watching tv and playing games and another for watching movies.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I have one projector for every possible combination of settings. My projection booth looks like a drycleaner and they are all on a track that I can just choose with the press of a button. Pretty slick.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Also there is a slight difference between HD color space and the Bluray color space.Mostprojectors willautomatically switch tothe correct onebutIhave presets for thses as well.

Basically I ihave two presets. One forfilm and one for HD TV. Some timesIhave tochange the colorspace for film fromRec 709toHD because or the Bluray not being in Rec 709. to HD color space.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
So, Jason,

Would you recommend one projector for each genre, like action, drama (sweeping cinematography), drama (psychological), romantic comedy, etc.?

Or rather one for each member to have his or her own projector? My wife likes FI more than I, you see, and the cats just want high lamp and high fan speed, just for the space heater effect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts