AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I skimmed through most of the "splitter" threads and am still a bit confused. I'm new to all of this so sorry for any dumb questions.

I have basic cable tv and I plan on doing some rewiring in the house. This is what I had in mind:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ¯¯¯¯¯¯| -----------> Cable Modem

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | 2 Way |
Cable line --------->| splitter |

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ______| --------> | ¯¯¯¯¯¯| ------> TV

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | 4 Way | ------> TV

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | splitter | ------> TV

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ______| ------> VCR

Is that okay or will I need some sort of amp/booster for better signal?

Also, I was looking at some of those Leviton wallplates and was wondering if I actually need those "Snap-in Connectors"?

OR

Should I be running the wire right out of the wallplate with no extra connctions in between?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You will only know once you actually do this, you may need amplification for one or more of the splits you may not.

If you find that you need an amp and the cable modem is working okay try the amp after the 2 way split you may need to move it elsewhere but you really need to wire it and see what happens!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info.

If I'm using Canare RG6 and their F Connectors will the length still be a huge factor?

I have a Spaun VZF 4 F ( 2way splitter) and a Spaun VZF 8 F (4 way splitter) that I got off a friend. Are they any good?

·
Registered
44 Posts
the longer the cable the more it attenuates the signal. higher freqs affected more than lower freqs. not familar with those splitters. as long as they are not damaged, have at it. connectors are a non-issue as long as they are installed correctly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Connectors are the #1 reason for service calls. For example a srew on connector will never give you the same picture quality as a compresson fitting as it is all but impossible to put them on correctly and create major problems such as with ingress and grounding.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandykane
Connectors are the #1 reason for service calls. For example a srew on connector will never give you the same picture quality as a compresson fitting as it is all but impossible to put them on correctly and create major problems such as with ingress and grounding.
While I agree that coonectors generate more service calls.... A PROPERLY installed screw on will perform just as well as a compression connector in the homeowner environment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Keep in mind that a screw on connector allows for Ingress and along with it egress. These two issues create more problems than most think! I have proved to more than one how HARD it is to put on a proper screw on connector.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Screw on WILL work as good as a crimp on connector providing it is installed correctly.

I have had problems with both ways, however after taking my time and checking the results I can make the above statement.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Keep in mind that a screw on connector allows for Ingress and along with it egress. .

So does any incorrectly installed connector.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Believe me, I have changed out 95% more screw on than crimp! I dont know of any cable co. that installs screw on connectors. I wounder why that is?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Believe me, I have changed out 95% more screw on than crimp! I dont know of any cable co. that installs screw on connectors. I wounder why that is?
Probably because they weren't installed properly. There is no doubt the compression connector is a better connector, still doesn't change the fact that a properly installed screw on will function fine......

Statements like this are absurd.....

Quote:
For example a srew on connector will never give you the same picture quality as a compresson fitting?

·
Registered
154 Posts
^

True. You can make a connector out of a block of wood and silly putty. If you have your cable prepped correctly and all things done right and clean, your good to go.

The only REAL difference between Screw, Compression whatever will be longevity. Nothing will beat a compression when exposed to the elements. You can CRIMP or *SCREW all day.. its just design.

*tehe...

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimeballzz (modified by optivity)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ¯¯¯¯¯¯| -----------> Primary Digital TV

Cable line ----------->| splitter |

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ______|-----------> | ¯¯¯¯¯¯| ------> 2nd TV

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | 3 Way | -------> 3rd TV

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | splitter|

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ______| ------> VCR
And use DSL for Internet service. Come to find out it's better and it costs less too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have all the actual Canare tools (Crimp tool, die, and F connectors) to make the cable so I don't think I should run into any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
And use DSL for Internet service. Come to find out it's better and it costs less too!
What makes DSL better than Cable (other than price, yes it is cheaper!)? I've always liked my Cable Internet (Shaw High-Speed Xtreme-I) as I never had any connection problems or anything to complain about so I don't plan on switching.

If I went with DSL I'd probably use that setup but for now I'm sticking with my Cable Internet. :D

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I might be needing one of those Electroline drop amps since I'm now considering on expanding by adding a couple PVR's in the house.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at the Electroline drop amps they seem a bit costly for my taste ( I live in Canada so eBay won't exactly work for me). I was thinking if this would work IF I were to have signal loss problems. I would use an Electroline EDA 2100 ( http://www.dropamp.com/shop/product_...products_id=28 )

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ¯¯¯¯¯¯| -----------> Cable Modem

Cable line --------->| splitter |

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ______| -----EDA 2100 drop amp---> | ¯¯¯¯¯¯| ------> TV

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | 4 Way | ------> TV

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | splitter | ------> TV

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | ______| ------> VCR

·
Registered
515 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get an amp put in the line BEFORE the cable modem, my cable installer (some snot nosed contract cable installer kid) did that! VERY BAD (ask me how I know) :)

The above connection is EXACTLY what I have (except for the amp, not sure which one I have, provided by SHAW) but with a 6 way splitter instead of four. No problems with signal at any outlets!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiser
Whatever you do, don't get an amp put in the line BEFORE the cable modem, my cable installer (some snot nosed contract cable installer kid) did that! VERY BAD (ask me how I know) :)

The above connection is EXACTLY what I have (except for the amp, not sure which one I have, provided by SHAW) but with a 6 way splitter instead of four. No problems with signal at any outlets!
Thanks for the input.

Just a final quick question on the signal strength.

What is the ideal db range I am suppose to aim for?

·
Registered
44 Posts
FCC spec = 0 dBmv minimum at input to customer equipment. a "+" number rather than a "-" number. this is all about analog signal levels. no FCC spec's on digital. modems generally are designed to work with -10 to +10 dBmv. your results may vary according to system design and local practices. too much signal can be as bad as too little. if you are re-wiring, bring all those wires to an easily accesible location, such as right at the attic access as opposed to the middle of the attic. or a location in the basement that is easy to get to.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.