AVS Forum banner

How many times have you had to send your PS3 in for service?

• 0 - Never! It has been great

Votes: 282 94.6%
  • 1 - One time only - Must've been a Friday build

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 2 - Twice - I haven't been very lucky

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 3 - Three times - Isn't it normal for me to use it as a chair?

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4+ - Four plus times - I'm cursed!

Votes: 1 0.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had great luck with my PS3 and I wanted to find out if I was in the vast majority, or if other people have also found that despite an occassional quirk, their PS3 seemed to be a very well built machine. I've heard nothing that indicates that almost anyone has had to send their unit in for service - ever.

So, what is your experience with your PS3?

Definite thumbs up from me!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
My PS3 will not turn off unless you turn off the power button on the back most of the time. This is not a big deal and I did not send it back, we watch too many BR movies. Sony support was pretty quick and helpful.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone /forum/post/0

My PS3 will not turn off unless you turn off the power button on the back most of the time. This is not a big deal and I did not send it back, we watch too many BR movies. Sony support was pretty quick and helpful.

Interesting. So what happens when you hold the PS button and choose 'turn off system'?

It just hangs?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
No problems here.

There's a couple of main issues I've seen crop up on this fourm. Right after launch there were two or three people reporting a faulty slot-loading mechanism (disc stuck in drive). And there have been a few cases of the USB ports going dead.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Not yet, and I've been folding constantly when not in use, so I think that's a pretty good torture test.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallow /forum/post/0

Interesting. So what happens when you hold the PS button and choose 'turn off system'?

It just hangs?

Beeps and stays on. It did not happen for the first few weeks but now always does. Not too hard to hit the button on the back though and then I am using no electricity while its between movies anyway.

·
Registered
811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTPatton /forum/post/0

My bad, didnt read the poll and thought we were voting x/4 reliability...

LoL, I was just about to say, who has that much trouble and doesn't even post to talk about it a little.

Mine has had zero problems and has logged about a month of folding and 2-4 hrs of gaming/BRing a day.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffjim4069 /forum/post/0

Pretty impressive stats so far...

Mine has been good since I have it a week after launch. That said, it has not been under heavy use
I only use it may be once a week for a couple of Blu-ray movies and an hour or two gaming time once in the while.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 /forum/post/0

Mine has been good since I have it a week after launch. That said, it has not been under heavy use
I only use it may be once a week for a couple of Blu-ray movies and an hour or two gaming time once in the while.

You should do some [email protected] can join my team if you want. You need to stress test your PS3. My team has about 3 users and two of us are over 100 work units with the third person hitting over 70 work units. All 3 of us have seen no issues. I have been folding since March with no issues.

The PS3 is the most current solid gamming hardware on the planet.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli /forum/post/0

never, but I'm using my PS3 for Blu-ray only anyway sadly enough there are not games worth playing.

Not even GOW2 for PS2 or anything like that? Or do you just use your old PS2? Understandable if so, I guess... RFOM and Motorstorm can tide you over for only so long...

Zero times here also. Im seeing a pattern

Seriously though a wonderfully built machine and I do use it for PS2 gaming a lot until the PS3 games start heating up.

And I use it even more now since Im STILL waiting for my replacement from MS for my 360 that just broke last week... So much for trying the Halo Beta...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli /forum/post/0

never, but I'm using my PS3 for Blu-ray only anyway sadly enough there are not games worth playing.

You must not like games then. There are some good PS3 games and hundreds of good PS2 games.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/0

You must not like games then. There are some good PS3 games and hundreds of good PS2 games.

PS2 games I play on my PS2 they just don't look as good on the PS3 and multi platform games I play on 360. RFOM is pretty good game but i don't really like to play FPS on consoles and somehow I couldn't get into Motorstorm, while it looks good I just don't like it that much. I like Sigma a lot so that will probably be my next purchase.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My launch unit has only had a couple hiccups but has never needed service. I'd say zero problems really. I just wish the music list wouldn't default to sort by album and stay on sort by artist after I change it. Really only takes a second to do when I'm playing music though, minor complaint.

·
Registered
342 Posts
1st device USB reading problems (2 ports were dead, it would only read/charge devices, including controllers if they were plugged in when the ps3 was started)... lived with it for 3 months but decided I paid enough money I should get it fixed, unfortunatly it was downhill from there...

2nd device DOA...

3rd device hung after playing a game for 10 or so minutes, dvd/bds were pixelized tremendously...

device four has been trouble free for a month (knock on wood)...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.