AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only analog HD recorder I know of is the JVC SR-W5U, and it was made for the professional, not consumer market. I think it was priced around $5000 when it first came out, although you can find it for much less now (one was just sold on Ebay for $1500). It has component inputs and outputs and can record at full 1080i but the sound is only stereo, and the W-VHS tapes that it uses are expensive ($30-$40). You can see some pictures here .

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

[This message has been edited by vruiz (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The big brother of the W5U is the W7U. It is even more expensive. That makes two fantastic choices for the consumer.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Any broadcast grade VCR can record analog HDTV with convertors to make the analog signal a standard studio type digital interface (SMPTE 292). But the equipment to do this is about $10,000. The VCR's go from $50,000 up to $250,000.

And the tape is anywhere from $50 to $200 per hour.

Oh, and by the way 90 minutes is the most you can get per load.

I really don't see this and a coyright threat!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Since all the publicity about the various schemes to encrypt digital signals from the STB to the VCR or TV has got everyone stirred up I have a question. How many people actually have in their homes a VCR that has a component or RGB in that is capable of recording off that input. Why are the studios and trade groups insisting on downrezzing the existing analog outputs? From all I have read there are avery few of even people on this forum on the whole that have HDTV's and a way to record HDTV and it is a relatively (at least for the average Joe) difficult thing to make work. Are there plans for a multitude of HD VCRs or other recording devices with analog HD inputs just waiting to be released? If there are so few people with these older sets, why screw them while trying to ostensibly protect the digital bitstream?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Can you record an HDTV signal at a lower resolution using an S-video connection on an S-VHS recorder?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Most all (if not all) HDTV stb's have standard NTSC outputs that can be recorded by standard VCR's.

Playback looks like a good rental VHS tape, nothing better.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.