AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 mos. old Sony XBR8 developed a thin colored vertical line across the screen (still under warranty). Without even seeing it Sony said it needs a new panel. Since the panel costs more than I paid for the TV Sony has to approve before ordering new panel and no way they can replace the XBR8 as they are discontinued. This is a bad situation that I thought should not happen to Sony's top of the line TVs esp. within first year. In fact it is outragous!

So my question - how many out there have had Sony XBR panel failures and how old was your TV when it happened? What was your resolution? Even an extended warranty won't cover the cost of panel replacement because most likely the panel costs more than the depreciated TV. So I am now wondering if this is a relatively rare occurance or if it is common and if so, what the heck are people doing? An extended warranty only goes so far - I have been reading the details of the top ones and since I am 8 mos. from purchase of TV it limits my extended warranty choices (and Sony won't sell me one this far out from purchase).

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustito /forum/post/19557786

My 8 mos. old Sony XBR8 developed a thin colored vertical line across the screen (still under warranty). Without even seeing it Sony said it needs a new panel. Since the panel costs more than I paid for the TV Sony has to approve before ordering new panel and no way they can replace the XBR8 as they are discontinued. This is a bad situation that I thought should not happen to Sony's top of the line TVs esp. within first year. In fact it is outragous!

So my question - how many out there have had Sony XBR panel failures and how old was your TV when it happened? What was your resolution? Even an extended warranty won't cover the cost of panel replacement because most likely the panel costs more than the depreciated TV. So I am now wondering if this is a relatively rare occurance or if it is common and if so, what the heck are people doing? An extended warranty only goes so far - I have been reading the details of the top ones and since I am 8 mos. from purchase of TV it limits my extended warranty choices (and Sony won't sell me one this far out from purchase).

It's likely that Sony still has some panels in stock for replacement. I was in a similar situation a few years back with a Panasonic LCD that was diagnosed with a bad panel and approved for replacement just 2 months from the end of the warranty. The new sets had dropped significantly in price and I spoke with Panasonic about just having a new TV shipped rather than them having to pay a service agent the labor and the cost of the panel and they said no dice. Things break for unexpected reasons sometimes and like was pointed out the track record for Sony's has been pretty good. I wouldn't worry about it and if they replace the panel you're good to go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the comments. I figured this was not common and the hope is that you are not in the small percent who has to replace panel. This esp. with an XBR8 - but is true no matter which model you get. They recommended a 3 yr. extended warranty which for my TV would go 1 1/2 yrs. past original. Now I would put out $ to fix something but my fear is the panel and any extended warranty balances cost to fix vs. replacing with similiar model (or one at similiar cost you got yours for). So for me even if the XBR8s were still in production, I paid half the MSRP since they were about to disappear. So I would never recoup a TV like mine and I would get a fraction of the $ to replace (and I have two XBR8s)!! I am still waiting on Sony to approve panel replacement for my set because of what I actually paid for it.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustito /forum/post/19558158

Appreciate the comments. I figured this was not common and the hope is that you are not in the small percent who has to replace panel. This esp. with an XBR8 - but is true no matter which model you get. They recommended a 3 yr. extended warranty which for my TV would go 1 1/2 yrs. past original. Now I would put out $ to fix something but my fear is the panel and any extended warranty balances cost to fix vs. replacing with similiar model (or one at similiar cost you got yours for). So for me even if the XBR8s were still in production, I paid half the MSRP since they were about to disappear. So I would never recoup a TV like mine and I would get a fraction of the $ to replace (and I have two XBR8s)!! I am still waiting on Sony to approve panel replacement for my set because of what I actually paid for it.

In most incidents that I have read or heard about what you paid isn't the deciding factor when it comes to doing a full replacement as they will typically offer the comparable model that's available and can often times upgrade for a small cash outlay if there is a model above the one that's broken. The secret is to be workable but firm with what you expect and not to make it into an argument or fight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But what they tell people (e.g., me) is the full price for a new one and then go by what I paid for my set - not the MSRP. And the extended warranty providers go by what the consumer actually paid, not MSRP.

So does this mean I'll probabally get a refurb./repaired panel? If so, how can I tell and am I more likely to have future problems with a refurb./repaired panel? Lastly, is there anything I can do to get them to bring me a new one?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Why not just wait and see what Sony offers to do to resolve the problem and then go from there? You might also post in the XBR8 thread and see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustito /forum/post/19559443

But what they tell people (e.g., me) is the full price for a new one and then go by what I paid for my set - not the MSRP. And the extended warranty providers go by what the consumer actually paid, not MSRP.

So does this mean I'll probabally get a refurb./repaired panel? If so, how can I tell and am I more likely to have future problems with a refurb./repaired panel? Lastly, is there anything I can do to get them to bring me a new one?

In most all warranties there is typically a disclaimer stating that refurbished parts may be used in repairs. There's nothing wrong with a refurbished part and often times could be better as it was typically looked over and checked much closer than a new panel. Rather than speculate what they might do it's best to do as topr suggested and wait to see what Sony is willing to do. In most cases I have heard about the replacement is a newer model that's comparable to the older model and msrp and purchase price has nothing to do with it. If you purchased a set in 2009 then it's not unusual for the newer comparable set to have a cheaper MSRP anyway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
OP, I had a KDL-52XBR6 that had a vertical line void issue and when Sony said it was a panel replacement, it was $5500 to repair it.

So, yes, they junked it out and gave me the option of either a EX700 or $1650 towards the purchase of a replacement set. I took the money and used it towards a LG 55LE8500 and never looked back.

My guess is that they'll junk it out and give you an option for a comparable replacement or the money towards a different set. Problem is, an XBR8 would only have a HX909 as the "comparable" replacement set for that model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I just had my second 55" XBR8 develop the thin black horizontal line issue.

The first set had a hot pixel within a day of getting it which resulted in a quick replacement to my current set. Not something I expected from a +$6000 TV.

23mths of trouble free viewing later, and 5mths outside of Sonys 18mth Warranty my replacement set now needs a new panel according to the tech, and all posts on here that I've been able to find.

Fortunately I bought the ServiceNet 3yr Extended Warranty so we shall see how it works out, and whether I'll have any out of pocket costs.

I will post updates as I couldn't find updates from those already experienced in this issue in the official XBR8 thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.