·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Self explanatory.

·
Registered
439 Posts
To add, I would wait until I see a firm feature list for the HD Tivo. If HD Tivo has firewire out I'll be far more likely to wait for Tivo to catch up to Dish. On the other hand if Dish went to Name Based timers I'd stick with them in a heartbeat on the 921.

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Darin- I'll relay what my local dealer told me.

He said, when he asked of his distribution rep what the deal will be, he was told, like with the 6000 you are allotted one 921 when first released. So I put my name on his list and since his list is at a total of "one" he says the first one is mine, since he does not plan to stock it.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There will not be a 1394/Firewire/i.Link port on the HD Tivo. That is firm, according to DirecTV, which will be selling the unit under the Hughes brand.

The other features also appear pretty firm at this point. They are posted in other threads, but can be rehashed if you wish.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That's disapointing to hear Rogo, as when I took the advanced Tivo survey they asked *a lot* of questions on Firewire. Both as satilite and a possible SA tivo with Firewire in and out.

·
Registered
703 Posts
No firewire support in the beginning, no way!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kagato
To add, I would wait until I see a firm feature list for the HD Tivo. If HD Tivo has firewire out I'll be far more likely to wait for Tivo to catch up to Dish. On the other hand if Dish went to Name Based timers I'd stick with them in a heartbeat on the 921.
Echostar has been very clear that they will not do show based recording on any of their PVR products.

DirecTv and TiVo have both made it clear first generation HDDirecTiVo recorders will not have Firewire. They will however have two ATSC tuners and so will be able to record two OTA broadcasts at once while 921s will only record one ATSC stream. Given that OTA programs are more likely to be shown only one time a week than DBS channels like HBO this seems to be a significant advantage.

/carmi

·
Registered
29,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom
DirecTv and TiVo have both made it clear first generation HDDirecTiVo recorders will not have Firewire. They will however have two ATSC tuners and so will be able to record two OTA broadcasts at once while 921s will only record one ATSC stream. Given that OTA programs are more likely to be shown only one time a week than DBS channels like HBO this seems to be a significant advantage.

/carmi
I agree with that assessment. I would much prefer 2 OTA tuners and only one satellite tuner on the 921, but that's the way it goes. Guess I'll have to keep my 6000 with it's OTA tuner to be able to record one HD-OTA program and watch another, and figure out a way to get everything to work together somehow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom
...They will however have two ATSC tuners and so will be able to record two OTA broadcasts at once while 921s will only record one ATSC stream. Given that OTA programs are more likely to be shown only one time a week than DBS channels like HBO this seems to be a significant advantage.

/carmi
At first I did not see the real need to 2 OTA tuners in HD-Tivo, but now it comes a little clearer.

Although as the situation stands TODAY, as a DISH customer whos' major prime-time viewing comes via CBS-HD, I really don't have any problem with the 921's single OTA tuner. Getting CBS-HD thru DISH would let me watch anything else that might conflict via OTA. Of course other OTA channels could come up with some decent programming...DISH could lose the CBS-HD feed...but for NOW it is really not an issue for me..

·
Registered
487 Posts
As soon as it is available in Canada with ExpressVU!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I'm also going to wait for the firewire port to be active.

811 will work for me in the meantime. All I *really* want right now is a program guide that says something other than "Info Not Available."

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I would probably buy a 921 if I could get a SuperDish at the same time. My problem is that I already have DirecTV with a 169time solution and a Dish5000+modulator, but the only dish I had them put up for DishNetwork was for the HD channels. I also have a 6000 sitting around that I've never used (1 year obligation), but could start using it if I switch everything to Dish.

If the SuperDish is released I think that I could just replace my DirecTV dish with that one and get rid of all my DirecTV stuff. I would still want to be able to use my currect dish that goes to the 5000 until that one is disabled, though.

So, in short I'll probably wait until the SuperDish is released and then see if I can get a package with the 921.

As far as firewire, I'm not too concerned as long as it does get turned on in the not too distant future. In the meantime I would just some hard drives and dump to tape when that gets enabled.

--Darin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Take the buggy 721 architecture and add more workload seems to be a bad formula. This seems to borne out by the long product cycle.

I'll wait for the next generation or an HD TIVO

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder what happened to all those pre-orders that people did with DishDepot last spring? Did they cancel? At this rate, I think the first wave of orders getting delivered will be no problem but the excitement rush to order followed by an immediate inability to deliver will be with the second wave, assuming the reports from the first wave are favorable. (doubtful)

The latest info on the HDTIVO looks great but I don't think the TIVO will be what holds back sales there, it, IMHO, will be lack of HD programming on bandwidth crunched DirecTV when comparing to Dish's projected linup with Superdish.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Don,

DishDepot limited but will not cancel the initial orders. They are good folks, but understood the expectations game for the second wave. They have always done more than right by me.

Tim

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.