AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears I have a problem with my Rock Lite and that it may be a repeat of a previous problem (bad video card). I was wondering how many Rock owners (lite, Rock, or Rock+) have had problems that require service. Also, any of those that have not have any problems and have had it for at least 6 months?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
If you have a bad input card,What are the symptoms ? I have seen this brought up on there forum a few times before and replacement was done at no charge as there was a known problem with one production run of input cards.From what I understand the picture becomes very dim after failure.My Rock Plus w /SDI has always worked flawlessly and very well in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
The problem has been reoccuring since the product since arrived on the scene.

I don't think it's a single production run that was effected (if it was, why haven't they recalled the units on that production run and replaced their cards before?!). In addition, the fact that it's reoccuring on the same unit suggests that this is a more critical problem then the manufacturer would have us believe.

Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with this (particularly since the card is being replaced for free). HOWEVER, since most units will eventually have their warranty expire, I'm not sure if the replacements would also be free after the warranty period is over.

Does anyone know if the card will be replaced at no cost after the warranty expires?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My symptoms are after about an hour, picture goes black are loses blue. It is intermittent but usually occurs after an hour to hour and half.

I don't know the what the details of the cost etc. are as I got the RMA back after the office was closed for the Holidays until 12/2/02.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
remember when the *** solution was to bang your unit on the table?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Randybes,From what you are describing you do not have a defective input card but possibly an overheating CPU or some other temperature related problem.Have you tried hooking it up to a computer monitor to make sure it is not your display ? Is the unit well ventilated ? The symptoms of a defective input card are,dim picture(what should normally be white is now Grey)and horizontal banding in the shadows.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not the display (NEC 10PG)because the HDTV bypass works fine for both my DVD player (using internal progressive line doubler) and Dish 6000. I thought temperature too but the person on the Rock forum said no?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
If the CPU in the Rock overheats usually the picture will freeze as if paused and the remote will no longer work.This happened to me a couple of times last summer.The ambient temperature in the room was about 96 degrees, the air conditioning was down.All I did was turn the power switch off and right on again and everything worked fine.Does the Rock start right back up after full power down using the rear switch,is the menu also affected ? This is not any problem that iv'e heard of before.When the Rock goes black are all inputs affected and does changing resolutions or refresh rates have any effect? What resolution and refresh rate are you using ? I assume your using a component cable from DVD to the Rock.When the Blue cuts out what happens if you swap the Y and B inputs on the Rock ?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not very hot but it is in an enclosed rack. I have a couple fans installed but they are directed toward the B&K Ref 30 because I have had heat related problems with it. The problem shows up both with the S video input and the component so I don't think it is related to the cables. I tend to agree with Ofer about it being heat related involving the video card, but the Rock forum administrator said "no, not heat related" when I described the problem. I think I will try pulling the rack out and blowing a fan on the Rock to see if that keeps it from doing it. Does that sound like it is worth a shot?

Yes, it does affect the background and colors of the menu. I can turn it off and back on and it still has the problem but if I turn it off and let it sit a while it is ok again for awhile.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Randy,

The problem is not with the "Input card", it is with the "Output Video" Card and contrary to Ofer's popular belief, it was indeed only one run of the cards that were acquired by T A W. They have discontinued purchasing from that vendor and have had absolutely NO problems since then with the card now being used. This problem has been mentioned many times on the forum and all customers with any problems with this card have been instructed to send the units back for a FREE repair, whether in or out of warranty.

Just send in your unit and it will be turned around in a day and sent back out to you.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you:(!!!

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Hi Dave,

What I was asking was if you had problems like this with this vendor, why not do a recall of all units that may be effected? This is surely better than having someone encounter the problem a few months after the warranty expires (although I get the feeling you're replacing these cards regardless of warranty status).

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I get, from Dave's post, that all affected customers have been notified and that *** will fix it even if it's out of warranty. That's the same as a recall, isn't it?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
No, I think what ofer's talking about is more like an automotive recall, where they tell you to bring the unit in even if you're not experiencing the problem, so they can fix it just in case. That makes sense for a car, where a malfunction could cost you your life.

But for a scaler, that doesn't seem so practical. After all, not every output card from the bad batch will exhibit the problem. So why bother going through the hassle of sending it in if it is working fine? It seems more prudent for the user, and cheaper for ***, if they just offer the repair for free as the problems come up.

Having said that, models that are still in the dealer's hands and not yet sold to customers ought to be fixed if they're from the bad batch.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Michael,

That's exactly what I mean. I agree, that when a scaler stops working it's not exactly life threatening (well, in most households, that is).

However, what if the display card stops operating in a year? Will *** still replace it for free? I'm not so sure.

What if someone resells their unit and then the card gives out?

The problem is that you can only replace the card if it goes bad. What if someone wants to replace it "just in case", would that be a free update?

Automotive recalls aren't just done for parts that are life-threatening. If there's a problematic part (bad hinge, or an armrest that peels off) they replace it free of charge when you bring it in for service.

Of course, the ROCK doesn't need regular service, so that makes things a bit more complicated.

Anyway, I don't know. It does seem to me that they're doing all in their power to fix this issue. Maybe it's just me. I dunno.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've had my unit since the Rock was initially released, and then had it upgraded to the Rock+. The unit has been absolutely stable all the time, with no problems whatsoever.

Steve

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I don't think *** should be expected to fix it "just in case". After all, many of the cards from the supposed bad batch will work just fine for the entire life of the product. It seems unfair to expect them to replace all the good cards too. And for those unlucky enough to have a bad card, fixing them immediately versus fixing them when the problem comes up is roughly identical in inconvenience. (Besides, if any of those people upgrade to the Rock Pro one day, the may never have to deal with the issue at all.)

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Michael,

I'm not so sure about convenience. There are people who are very attached to their HT (I had a massive problem when I thought I had a problem with my A/V receiver a short while ago).

However, even us HT folks take a vacation here and there - and can send the unit out when it's convinient to us, instead of when the unit breaks down.

Anyway, I'm shooting blanks here - there are many considerations here (including financial) and it's easy for me to talk because I'm not paying the bills...

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Hi Ofer,You make some good points but I dread having to send anything thru the US postal service or UPS unless absolutely necessary.They just throw things around and you can end up with a whole lot of new problems.They sell you insurance but try to collect !

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.