AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm running a single 15in vented sub in my basement located right behind the sectional. The only place I can really feel the bass is sitting in the chair closest to the sub. I tried a couple different places for the sub and behind the sectional seems to be the best for feeling the bass. My room is 40X13X7 with only one opening to the other side of the basement that's unfinished. If I were to get to another sub and run one near and far would that be enough sub or would a bigger sub with more power do the job?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Concrete floor?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If you have had that sub on any kind of raised floor you simply won't get the impact now that you have a concrete floor. If it gets loud and low enough you could feel it with just the sound, but you have to get decently loud for that.

You have a pretty big room and I am not sure one 15 will be enough. You can try a second but with double drivers and double amp power you will only get 6 more db.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
You can try that, but it won't move concrete. If you want to feel it you have 2 options. Either move it so it is touching your seats, transferring the tactile force thru the seat, or build a riser for your seating and put the sub somewhere on the riser.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I agree with brandonnash. I don't think you got what he was suggesting. If you want to pressurize a room that big you are going to need more subwoofers to move that much air. When you have adequate subwoofer coverage or headroom with sub coverage the waves that travel through the air can often be felt. I think that you would need to add more subwoofers one at a time until you get the response your looking for. Just guessing I think you might need as many as four 15''s to get it done. It just depends how far you want to go with it. Just shaking the floor is different and is not really what you should look for in strong quality bass.

Building a riser for your couch and the sub would be the easiest way to get the floor to shake. You don't wan't to decouple the sub with a Gramma or with any isolation platform if you are going to do this. In this case you want the subs cabinet to be able to transfer vibrations to the platform. Also by having the sub behind the couch will allow the bass to fire straight into the couch and transfer vibration to the couch and the platform at the same time. Try this with your current sub and see how it works. If you want more shaking add another sub to the back of the couch. Buttkickers may also be an option if your just looking to shake the couch and the floor. Good luck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/20845912

I agree with brandonnash. I don't think you got what he was suggesting. If you want to pressurize a room that big you are going to need more subwoofers to move that much air. When you have adequate subwoofer coverage or headroom with sub coverage the waves that travel through the air can often be felt. I think that you would need to add more subwoofers one at a time until you get the response your looking for. Just guessing I think you might need as many as four 15''s to get it done. It just depends how far you want to go with it. Just shaking the floor is different and is not really what you should look for in strong quality bass.

Building a riser for your couch and the sub would be the easiest way to get the floor to shake. You don't wan't to decouple the sub with a Gramma or with any isolation platform if you are going to do this. In this case you want the subs cabinet to be able to transfer vibrations to the platform. Also by having the sub behind the couch will allow the bass to fire straight into the couch and transfer vibration to the couch and the platform at the same time. Try this with your current sub and see how it works. If you want more shaking add another sub to the back of the couch. Buttkickers may also be an option if your just looking to shake the couch and the floor. Good luck.

I guess I used the wrong wording. I want to feel the pressure waves threw out the room not just the chair shaking a bit. Don't think I would want to buy the same brand sub I have now.

·
Banned
38 Posts
My room isn't quite that big, but I use Altec VOT ran down to 40hz. I have 4 of those and an Altec center(from the 90's). Use a dual 15" bandpass subwoofer originally intended for automotive use.

I have good bass response cause the VOT are helping out the subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinny /forum/post/0

I guess I used the wrong wording. I want to feel the pressure waves threw out the room not just the chair shaking a bit. Don't think I would want to buy the same brand sub I have now.

If this is the case then the only solution is to add more subs. You simply need to move more air. A single 15'' in that room is not going to do it. You also want to have enough subs and calibrate them within their limits to achieve your goal. If you try to get by with less subs and just calibrate the subs to hot you increase distortion and decrease sound quality. Adding multiple large subs can get costly depending on your bass goals. I use four 15'' subs in my system and I added them one at a time. My room isn't huge but it's not small. My subs are calibrated well within their limits so distortion is kept as low as possible. It took time to get everything calibrated properly. The bass is impressive once I finally got the calibration figured out. I made my own sub isolation platforms so my floor and walls don't vibrate. The bass you feel on your body or in the couch is from the bass waves traveling through the air.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Are you handy with tools? If so you should think of building a sub, and I would build a horn subwoofer if you can. You'll get monster output which is what you need. I'd think about building 2 of the cinema f20's from on the diy forum. Easy to build and ultra cheap.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it's a bad idea to combined different subs, but would adding another 15 or 18 from a different company work?

I have a sealed single 18in in my front room and the bass is incredible, that good chest pounding bass. The sad thing is I have more expensive equipment downstairs but prefer the system upstairs because of the room pressure.

Not handy enough to DIY anything like that.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If you're not handy enough to diy you could always have someone build them for you. It would still be cheaper than buying something pre built. There is a member on here named MKtheater and he had elemental designs build 4 of them for him I believe and it wasn't horribly expensive.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/20847238

I bet the other room that has better bass is smaller? You can mix subs. Sometimes it complicates calibration. Having the same subs is just easier.

Yep. It's only 15X15 but opens up the the kitchen and the hallway.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/20847415

If you're not handy enough to diy you could always have someone build them for you. It would still be cheaper than buying something pre built. There is a member on here named MKtheater and he had elemental designs build 4 of them for him I believe and it wasn't horribly expensive.

I follow MKtheater's threads sounds like he has a killer room. I still have a eD sub, the small A250 I think that's the model. Only has a 10in woofer with the truck bed liner finish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.