AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in: Audio theory, Setup and Chat - but got no response.

Scenario: 2,500 cubic foot HT – at least one SVS PC-Ultra / Seven Paradigm Studio speakers (not sure yet on 20/40/60 – will not be going with the 100). Would cross at 80 or 60hz minimum. I like Parasound Halo amps, but it is quite a jump in price to go from the 125 to the 250wpc Halo models, plus it seems hard to justify spending more on the amps than the speakers. I currently have a pair of Studio 20 v2 in my kitchen being driven by an HCA-1000A and that has sufficient power, but HT is a little different. In my living room I have Thiel CS3.6 speakers powered by a Classe CA400 amp – that combo taught me that big amps can make a significant difference in the sound of speakers. Thoughts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects

Scenario: 2,500 cubic foot HT – at least one SVS PC-Ultra / Seven Paradigm Studio speakers (not sure yet on 20/40/60 – will not be going with the 100). Would cross at 80 or 60hz minimum. I like Parasound Halo amps, but it is quite a jump in price to go from the 125 to the 250wpc Halo models, plus it seems hard to justify spending more on the amps than the speakers. I currently have a pair of Studio 20 v2 in my kitchen being driven by an HCA-1000A and that has sufficient power, but HT is a little different. In my living room I have Thiel CS3.6 speakers powered by a Classe CA400 amp – that combo taught me that big amps can make a significant difference in the sound of speakers. Thoughts?
From what you describe it seems like you would be most satisfied with the 250wpc Halo mdoels. The issue is obviously price. I say pull the trigger :)

I contemplated on a 100x5 set up plus 100w sub vs 200x5 set up plus 200w sub.

The 200w per channel set up won out and this was years ago. I just had this feeling that if I went with the 100x5...I was going to want to upgrade later anyhow and just end up spending more money in the end.

I learned the same lesson that big amps can make a significant difference in the sound of speakers.

I think I spent more on my amps than speakers too (excluding the sub). Acurus Mondial Design Amps 200x3 and 200x2. Paradigm P Reference Studio 60 and Studio 20 and Paradigm P Reference center channel. M&K sub 200w Two 12's.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
There is a complicated mathematical formula that you should apply. 2500 sq ft x 7 speakers over pi multiplied by the sum of the inverse....

Oh never mind, get as much power as you can afford. Not as much as you want to spend, but as much as you scrape together. When you weigh what you will spend upgrading, it is always the best move. You will also have much less buyers remorse if you get good quality clean power to start with. Its better than listening to a $2000 amp and in the back of mind wishing you had bought the $3000 one.

A really nice match for the Paradigm Studios are the MCA series Anthem amps, I have a couple and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a premonition that “big amps good, bigger amps better†was going to be the answer :D I guess I will just bite the bullet and get the 250wpc A51 Halo , but I think I will try and keep the price under control and get a 1500A for the rear speakers. If I could get an A21 for less than $2K I would get that instead, but $1K per channel is really pushing it. Thanks for your input! :)

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects

IMHO...

Before one can estimate the power required..

A couple of key questions need confirmation/clarification from you..
1. How loud will you play the system on the average?

Moderate..

Loud..

Very loud..

A reference dB level would be helpful..
2. What type of source material is usually played?

Classical with high dymanic range...

Or more rock & roll which is often compressed..

Post back and we will advise further input..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.