AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably more a question for Ken, but I'd also be interested to hear from others too.

Here's my setup:

* Panasonic L300u projector

* Totally light controlled room

* Black front wall and ceiling

* 126" diagonal 1.85:1 Parkland Plastics screen

I am happy with the setup as it is, but am always looking for that incremental improvement. I'd like to get a little deeper blacks and shadow details.

My questions are:

1. Can I apply the topcoat directly to the PP, or do I need basecoat before the topcoat? If so, what type of basecoat and how much if I spray it, or roll it?

2. What type of top coat - digital grey or digital grey lite?

3. How much product is needed for rolling, as opposed to spraying (I could do either).

Many thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
You can buy imported Aussie beer! I used to have a friend from OZ who had to drink buckets of Canadian beer to get drunk.....and Americans find Canadian beer strong! So you probably feel like you are drinking water. Maybe watered down Roo piss or something like that.

Is the projector being run in low power or high power mode? Is filter in use? The digital Grey lite product may remove the need to use a filter. So there is some CR and light gain right there....

the guess is that the PJ will have about 475 lumen in calibrated low power mode. That's 475/46 sq. ft. =10.5 lumen per sq. ft on a unity gain screen (1.0 Gain) the Parklands is probably higher than unity gain.....

The Digital Grey Lite, with the CRT white Basecoat , will get you to a ~very~ light grey screen. If you spray it, it will be about 1.2 gain or so. This should give you about (10 lumen x 1.2) 12 lumen per sq. ft. You will achieve a slight increase in contrast range, as one of the the benefits. Stronger colors, etc. It's up to you. This mix should be sprayed, as the tonality difference between the two make them hard to roll.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ken,

Heh Heh----watered down roo piss! I like that :D

Unfortunately, here in Detroit, I haven't managed to find more than Fosters which is produced here under license anyways. And that's crappy beer at that. Yes, the US beer is weaker and Canadian beer is a lot 'closer' to the Aussie beer in alcohol content (I found Kokanee pretty impressive when I was in Vancouver). I really like a certain Aussie beer called 'Hahn Premium'. It won international beer of the year about 4-5 years ago and it really is a good beer. Contrary to my fellow countrymen, I absolutely can't stand the ever popular 'Victoria Bitter'. I guess I kind of like the more boutique, small production or micro brew beers.

Re my projector, it is always running in low power mode and has been calibrated (with Scot Knight's settings from this forum). I did try the ND2 and CC05M filters and found the image too dark for my liking.

Should the screen be sprayed on the wall, or removed and placed on the floor? Also, do I need any special prep or can the base coat be sprayed directly on the Parkland material?

For that size screen, how much product do I need to order when I spray?

Thanks,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.