AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is not a broad question so let me explain for the benefit of greater understanding. My current bill is something like $70-72 per month for DirecTV service. I am really only interested in four of the channels I am paying this monthly fee for, which results in something obscene for $/channel determination.

But, I have to remove 2x$5/month for additional equipment mirroring charge, $5/month for a household TiVo service, $5.99 for the Protection Plan, etc. and remove the $5/month for locals which I'd like to get rid of. Thus, I am left with the obvious TC+ and HD Premium Package

TC+ is currently running at $39.99 and the HD Pack is $10.99. So, I have $51/month for the four channels I really want. This can be further reduced, but I am reporting what I am paying for programming at the moment, and not fees. So, that's $12.75/channel. And I could get this down to $12/channel is I had just TC and not TC+. How about you? If you have multiple paid-for providers please choose whichever you determine to be your primary, or take an average.

· Registered
4,172 Posts
well, I'm paying $95 for VaVaVoom. Take out tax+rental, it's $79. Let's call it $80.

What I watch:

* DiscHD

* ESPNHD

* MonsterHD

* Rave, BravoHD, TNTHD, Epics, Cinema1-10 (I'll count them all as 1 channel, cause I only pick occasional stuff from them)

* HBOHD (more for their orig. series) and CinemaxHD (I'll count that as 1 channel, since I would not pay for them separately, skinemax movies notwithstanding. I could count it as 1.5 channel because having east and west coast is really great in lieu of hd pvr)

* StarzHD, EncoreHD

* ShowtimeHD and TMCHD

* Then all the SD channels

So that's about 8 channels, or $10/channel. Yikes. I'm getting ripped off :)

I think eventually I'll drop VaVaVoom and go with Hd pack + HBO. I'm kind of splurging right now.

· Registered
3,138 Posts
I pay $77 + taxes through my cable company. It's $32 for basic, $10 for digital upgrade(a complete rip off since you only get 40 music channels), $10 for 4 HD channels, $20 for HBO/Cinemax, and $5 for HD STB rental.

I only watch 9 channels.

HBO HD (only on Sundays for the Sopranos)

Moremax

Techtv

ESPNHD

DiscHD

HDNET

and a couple of SD channels.

This comes to approximately $8.66 per channel. That's a lot of money my cable company is making from me.

· Registered
3,138 Posts
I think the reason some people picked the $.50- $1.00 option is because when you take all of the channels you receive (unscrambled and PPV do not count) it falls into this category.

I receive 151 channels (basic, premium (that I pay for), music, & HD) for $77+taxes. This comes to $.51 per channel. As my post above explained, I only watch 9 of the 151 channels that I receive.

· Registered
23,899 Posts
I have basic analog service (extended service and value pak) which runs approx. $45 per month. So... I get (keeping the math easy) 60 analog channels.

So that works out to $.75 per channel (if I'm correct). I get all my locals digitally (OTA), so I don't need those via cable. Out of those 60 channels, let's say I'd REALLY want only 15 (and that's optimistic). If I could get 'a la carte', I'd only have to $11.25 per month.

· Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike4HDTV,

Okay, I think I was not clear in what I was looking for. I want people to count the number of channels they WANT and DO receive from their paid-for provider, and to divide that number into what they are paying for that service. NO ONE watches, nor wants to watch 100% of the channels provided to them. That would be so far from the norm as to be a minority condition.

So, while you may get X number of channels, I want to know how many would actually want to determine how much one pays for, on average, for those desired channels. This is why I provided an example of my own case. Otherwise I would have implied I was paying several thousand dollars for D* TC+.

· Registered
13 Posts
For my house we pay about 50 bucks a month for DirecTV. Between the 4 roommates, about 20 or 30 of the channels get watched (big variety, aka I like History channel, travel, etc while some other people like MTV, Fuse, VH1, Comedy Central, etc). That brings me down to roughly 1.51 per channel.

BEN

· Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ben, somehow I think your situation is atypical, too. Not many people have home theaters that share the expensise with others. I suppose my wife is my 'roommate', but I'm not about to infer the cost is even less in that manner.

· Registered
3,351 Posts
Maybe I'm way off here, but if I'm getting the meaning of this message, you're trying to convince a provider to provide you with only the exact channels you want to watch and base it on some cost/channel so you can try to get it alacarte for much less? If providers began offering it that way, your costs would increase, not decrease. One of the reasons we get so many different channels from our providers for the price we do is because all those subscribers have the *potential* to watch any given station at a given time, so they can market their advertising much more effectively....

What would happen if alacarte for all channels actually happened, alot of channels that you might not watch could potentially disappear, but what about the people that *do* watch those channels. And god forbid, what if a few of the alacarte channels you specifically wanted didnt make it? The diversity of it is part of what makes the system work today.

Not trying to be mean or anything here, don't take this the wrong way. Just trying to show a point of view you might not have thought of.

· Registered
2,303 Posts
I'm one of the people that put down for less than 0.50/channel. I have a C-Band satellite system and just subscribe to a small ala carte (or "pick-a-pack" in the jargon of the program provider) package of channels that I want. Thus, the low cost.

· Registered
617 Posts
I figure I'm in the $6.00 buck a channel category. I probably watch about 20 "cable" type channels and I watch about 30-35 movie channels on Cinemax, HBO, and showtime for my annual $360.00. This of course doesn't count all the free backhaul feeds I watch though.

C-band Also.

Sheesh, just saw you meant per month not per year. This would put me in the .50 category also.

Rick

· Registered
3,086 Posts
DirecTV Total Choice ($38/month.) My list:

ESPN

ESPN2

USA

TNT

TLC

TWC

Fox Sports North

Just over $5/month.

If I could get Fox Sports North via BUD for less than $10/month (4DTV charges over $22 for their digital package) I'd probably have one.

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Listen to the warnings that are coming out of the cable/satcompanies. "Ala Carte will cause the average household to pay more" How you say. Well basically the providers are gonna extract their pound o flesh no matter what you choose. So they are going to charge you 45-70 dollars per month, period. If they provide 5 channels 50 or 100 they are going to structure the fee schedules accordingly.

· Registered
23,899 Posts
It still works out in my favor.

Today:

I pay $.75 per channel for 60 channels (approx $45) of which 15 I want ($11.25).

If I pay a premium for 'a la carte' (let's say addition $.25 per selection), I only add $3.75 to my bill.

$15.00 a month is still $30 savings. Over 12 months... $360 saved.

With that savings, I would be inclined to subscribe to 'premium' selections.

IMO... I see this type of offering as a win/win for all.

· Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by emdawgz1
Listen to the warnings that are coming out of the cable/satcompanies. "Ala Carte will cause the average household to pay more" How you say. Well basically the providers are gonna extract their pound o flesh no matter what you choose. So they are going to charge you 45-70 dollars per month, period. If they provide 5 channels 50 or 100 they are going to structure the fee schedules accordingly.
Not really. Scare tactic for the lame, unwashed masses. As soon as the first provider decides to drop the ALC price then it becomes a pricing war. But this is not the thread for this discussion, its the 'a la carte' debate thread (go find it).

· Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was suggesting you go find it as I was running late and did not have the time to go find it. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a ball-buster. Here is the thread I was talking about. We are chatting up a storm in that thread. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.