AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a used Sony VPH-1031q on Ebay. It is near where I live, however, the seller told me that it wouldn't be possible for me to come by and check it out because most of the time he is extremely busy at work. According to the seller, the projector powers up but he has not tested it with an actual video material.

So... the condition is unknown.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944409322

How much are you guys willing to pay for this equipment if you were in my situation?

James

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is at least the second time he has tried to sell this item on E-bay. By the pictures it looks as if it has taken some rough treatment. When a seller refuses to allow me to inspect an item I strongly suspect there is something he doesn't want me to see. I would pass on this one especially if it is your first projector.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you know if the projector has been up for the second time on Ebay?

James

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
James

With so little profit involved with this sale, it would not be worth it to show this PJ. I mean if you were selling it how many times would you want to be around to show this to someone who may or may not want to buy it?

Deron

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Less than what it's going for now...

Curt

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
that's a tough call...i use ebay alot and some sellers ,even when they live near you they won't let you pick items up..they say the still must be shipped.i got lucky and was able to drive 45 minutes to see my 1031 in action before buying..i bet if you buy this projector he would be willing to make time for you then to GET your money...i would pass.just my opinion..or see if he will give you a guaranttee that if it is not to your liking you will get a FULL refund IMMEDIATELY!!!

profit margin should not be an issue!!!he's the seller..why would it be unreasonable to expect to see the merchandise before buying..

brickie

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
It does look a bit beat up. Will the seller comment on the tube condition? Flashlight test for checking for wear? I've bought 3 10xx units off eBay. 2 pick-up, 1 shipped and one I wanted to inspect but the seller turned me down. I think it's understandable how he wouldn't allow you to inspect it. You are a stranger to him. Then again, it could be a lemon of a projector. It's all risk. That is eBay. If it powers up then insure it when shipped or when you pick it up have the seller power it up in person before you make the final transaction. I know the seller says "unknown condition." That's understandable as it is an old machine and borderline worth paying for servicing, that is, if you happen to live near a CRT tech (highly unlikely). For that unit I would inquire about a non-DOA deal via shipping insurance and I'd pay up to $350 for it if the tubes are good. Maybe even more if I got to see it in person, which looks like you won't be able to do. That thing does have HD-6 lenses it looks like. Those alone are worth some cashola. Talk with the seller. Do some investigation.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I'd happily pay $500 for a good 1031.

I'd pay nothing for that one - I don't like the look of that ebay page --- like most of them.

- Rick

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What the seller told me being busy and all during work, seems to be a lie. With what he said about that he is an avid Ebay buyer and seller, this doesn't make sense. How can a person be an avid Ebayer if he is so busy at work? He says that he commutes 80 miles per day to work, has this big project at work, and doesn't have time to eat dinner at home so he eats it while in the car. Sounds like BS to me.

I replied to him that he can get a coax to BNC converter for like $2 and be able to test the projector himself with a dvd player. Up to now, I heard no reply.

So... I am going to skip this one.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.